TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
Nana&Papa

Default Queen vs. king bed

Just finished reading the thread about pop-up vs. TM, in which ng 2951 states that with a queen bed you don't have to climb over each other to get out.

I'd like to hear your thoughts about queen vs. king, and the "climbing over" problem.

Would like to stay with the 2000 series to keep size and weight down, but I'm trying to imagine being the "insider" crouching and trying to throw a leg out to hit the step stool - without disturbing the "outsider." How do you do it?

Is there a solution other than buying the big TM and sleeping sideways in a king?

Pam
"lurker and wannabe" TM-er
Old 10-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
Bluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana&Papa View Post

Is there a solution other than buying the big TM and sleeping sideways in a king?
Let the one of the weakest bladder sleep on the inside?? <grin>

I don't know of any way around it. It's one of the reasons we went a bit bigger and chose the 3124.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We have the 2720, it has a queen size bed. If you are the one sleeping next to the rear window, you have to crawl over the person next to the bathroom to get out. I can get in and out without using a step stool, but I'm still pretty nimble. The opening to the rear bed (if you haven't been inside a TM) is narrowed by the fold down closet and the bathroom wall. I suppose you could remove the closet if you didn't need it, and it would give you a bigger opening to crawl out of, and you'd also be able to crawl down on top of the counter on the passenger side. There is no way that DH and I can sleep the other way (sideways) on that queen sized bed, it's only 60" wide. Even if one of us sticks our feet out the opening, it's just too small. We've tried.

Your other option is to have one person sleep in the front bed and one in the back. In our 2720 with the two permanent beds, each bed is equally comfortable, but one is a bit larger. There is also a dinette bed that sleeps 2 (little) people. If this is set up, and you're in the front bed, you have to step around the person asleep in the dinette bed. If the bed isn't set up, you can just step down onto the dinette seat.

If you haven't been inside a TM, you should visit one and get in and out of the bed to see how difficult it would be for you.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
Nana&Papa

Thanks -

Yes, we've been in them, but we haven't tried the sleeping maneuvers. I guess that's next on the list for the entertainment of the sales person

Unfortunately, dealers are 4-5 hours away from us in southeastern Washington.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
Rich_in_Tampa

We have a 3124KS and sleep "north-south" so neither has to crawl over the other. Slipping down no to the floor takes a little care, but we're pretty used to it. It's a very wide and long mattress.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
hhoenig

in our 2619, we sleep on the front bed and the kids are in the back bed. It is easier to climb out of the front bed without the restriction of the wardrobe.The front bed is more open and more comfortable for that reason.
hhoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #7
rajmoore

We opted for the 3124KB just for that reason. Also - you get the larger storage area underneath the king bed.
rajmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:09 PM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

With our 2720SL, we have to sleep side-to-side in our queen. I usually don't have to get up before morning, but if I do, like someone else mentioned in another thread, I...ahem... welcome the opportunity to climb over my wife.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Being a gentleman of a certain age, I get up a few times per night. So I sleep next to the hallway. My wife never has to get up, and she has learned not even to wake up when I make the move. Works well for us. There would be a problem only if both of you have occasion to get up in the night, and if that is the case, you may have gotten used to that situation at home. If one of you doesn't have to get up, it should work well for you, too.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #10
Nana&Papa

I hadn't thought about sleeping in the front double, but that makes sense as a more open area for crawling out of. We sleep in a double at home (are we the last folks on the planet to be sleeping in an itty-bitty bed?), so that should work.

Thanks for your comments!