TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-10-2002, 11:28 AM   #1

Default snow chains for TM...

hi guys,

for winter traveling, beside snow chains for our vehicle. do we need to have snow chains for TM?  ???any advise,
or experiences.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:02 PM   #2
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Default Re: snow chains for TM...

We live in "snow country" but don't tow our trailer during this time of year (it's stored).

If you expect the brakes on your trailer to work effectively you'll need chains or studded tires on the trailer (referred to as "drag chains&quot.  If you don't use one or the other, the trailer wheels will just lock up on slick surfaces and skid or slide, which may cause other problems.   In California, the CHP requires chains on towed trailers, as well as the tow vehicle (snow tires, studded tires, 4x4, etc. may be acceptable for the tow vehicle, depending on highway conditions).

Cable-style "chains" may work well, as opposed to the link-style chains.  Make sure you put whatever solution you decide to use on both sides of the trailer, not just one side.

Enjoy your winter travel.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:17 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There is not much clearance between the tires and the wheel well. I can't speak to the 2619, but my 2720 has only about an inch of static clearance (meaning there is less clearance when you go over a bump and the suspension flexes). I could not use standard chains, and highly doubt that I could use cables. You might want to pop off the the wheel well covers and measure the clearance before you invest.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 12:11 AM   #4
arknoah

Here's a silly question:  what would be the benefit of chains for the Trailmanor wheels when there's no power going to them?  I can't  quite figure it out....
Old 11-12-2002, 01:04 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

When you apply the TM brakes, you don't want the wheels to lock up.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 09:57 AM   #6

hi guys,

the reason we asked about tire chains is we plan to camp at Yosemite Valley RV camp site during mid of April 2003 (Spring time) and we from southern California. according to Yosemite park web site, tires chains are require if snow....anybody has any advises/experienced about Yosemite valley camp sites during this time of the year...like weather,camp site conditions, traffic, reserve site, preperations....any advises will be appreciated!!!
Old 11-12-2002, 05:12 PM   #7
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
When you apply the TM brakes, you don't want the wheels to lock up.
In all likelyhood, the wheels will still lock up, but with chains on the wheels, they will "bite" into the snow, ice, or slush and allow the trailer to track with the tow vehicle as it should, rather than slide or slip and fishtail uncontrolled.  Hence the term "drag chains."
Old 11-13-2002, 02:23 AM   #8
arknoah

Thanks for the info.  I never really understood that, having never towed anything through ice or snow.