TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2003, 10:46 AM   #1
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

Default King Size Bed

Ladies Out There
How does one go about putting sheets on that wonderful kingsize bed? Any suggestions and also could you take one of those eggcrate mattreses to make it a bit more comfy?
We've not taken it camping yet, but I trying to be prepared for anything.
Brightsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 11:41 AM   #2
efelker

Default Re: King Size Bed

Ladies?  Just ladies?  My wife tells me if I'm man enough to make a mess out of the bed I sleep in, I'm also fully capable of making it as well.  

Saw a neat idea in one of the other forums.  Basically you use two flat sheets instead of fitted one.  In both you sew a 1/2 or 3/4 inch dowel in a pocket the full width of each sheet.  On the bottom sheet, you'd tuck the dowel under the mattress at the head end.  Then the top sheet you'd tuck the dowel in at the foot end.  The dowels keep the sheets from coming out at the corners and make it easy to smooth them out when you remake the bed.  Just pull the dowel and it smoothes flat.

I can't believe I'm giving advice on bed making -- my wife will be so proud of me.

Actually, we prefer a double sleeping bag.  Much easier to make -- just smooth it out, or open it during the day like a quilt.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:30 PM   #3
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

That's really a good idea, let you know if it works for us, I thought I might even make a king size pillow case and rather than changing it after each trip just flip it, I like the sleeping bag idea also.

Thanks
Brightsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 01:46 AM   #4
arknoah

Making up the beds in our units is not a fun activity.  That idea with the wood dowel sounds really intriguing.  Our rear bed is a queen, but maybe if we got a couple of king size flat sheets, we could fold them under the ends enough that they won't pull out!
Old 06-17-2003, 01:12 PM   #5
Carol
Site Sponsor

Hi,

We have a queen bed and have a foam topper covered with a mattress pad. On top of that I put an older style queen size fitted sheet - for the shallower mattresses. It fits great! Then, we use a king top sheet and a king blanket as we are both cover hogs. We bought mating sleeping bags - of 2 different warmths from www.campmor.com (good prices). Coleman and others make them.  So far, we have just used one as a quilt on top of the light blanket. The 78 in wide sleeping bag is a little small as we are used to a king size comforter at home on our queen size bed. We're probably going to get a larger rectangular sleeping bag. We were thinking of just a comforter, but sometimes we dry camp when it is near freezing and need the extra warmth.

I am thinking of using an old sleeping bag or comforter to make a pad for the end of the bed as it gets a little cold over there. I don't know why Trailmanor doesn't provide a covering like they do on the sides.  

I can't quite picture how the dowel thing works, but our solution works! Perhaps a similar solution would work for you.

You can also buy or make sheet sets that are attached at the bottom.

Carol
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 01:47 PM   #6
efelker

Carol:

I'll try a verbal of what I saw in the 10-minute Guide from RV USA.

Basically the two flat sheet would have a slot sewn across the width of one edge of each forming a pocket for a dowel. The bottom sheet would be put on the bed so that the bottom edge of the sheet (no dowel) would be even with the bottom edge, but not long enough to tuck in. The top edge with the dowel would be at the head end, and slid under the top edge of the mattress. Pull the dowel down toward the foot of the bed and the sheet flattens out. So the bottome sheet is tucked in at the head end (with the dowel under the mattress), but the foot end of the sheet would just be even with the top edge of the mattress bottom.

Bottom sheet works just the opposite. Line up the edge without the dowel with the head edge of the mattress. Dowel end tucks in at the foot and is pulled tight toward the head of the bed so that the top sheet flattens out.

Don't sew the dowels all the way into the sheet, just forms a pocket. You'd have one 'el of a time' gettin that puppy into the washing machine otherwise.

Hope that gives you a word picture of how it works.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:00 PM   #7
Dexter_Burns

I have found that the best way to make the bed, is when it's pushed in, you can make it from the inside, then come out and step on the bumper and make the front side .  I have the eggcrate padding and it works great.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:40 PM   #8
Dolphin4

Thanks for those ideas...I was also curious about what sheets to use (we have a queen size).  I am making my "shopping list" of items to buy/make for our new TM and this was one of them.  I don't know if we need the sleeping bags since we live in So. CA but when we advance to inland states, that will probably be necessary, huh?  
Old 06-18-2003, 01:48 AM   #9
arknoah

For some reason, we've always had comforters on both the front and rear beds, even in the summer.  That makes perfect sense during the cool nights of April, May, September and October, but seems a little silly for June July and August.  

Maybe we’ll have to make a change before our vacation....
Old 06-18-2003, 03:44 AM   #10
efelker

Dolphin:

I wouldn't buy anything very elegant -- any old "cheapie" Walmart Queen size would be fine. No sense putting those $100 Ralph Loren's in the old camper.

Now satin would be nice, but then you have the problem of sliding right out, down the hall, and out the door. Could be rather embarrassing if you find yoursef parked next to the Methodist Revival Camporee.

Now, I've got to get out of making these "domestic engineer" recommendations. Bev says I'm, "Way out of my element here."