TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-04-2002, 06:27 AM   #1
Sinclue
Site Sponsor

Default Yellowstone

How wonderful to see how much this site has grown! And such a useful source of information too. If there is a separate section for "Travel Tips, Notes, etc" I haven't seen it yet so I'll post this here.We're heading off on our first "big" trip of the year to Yellowstone (from the SF Bay area). Haven't been there since mid 1970's. In those days there were many camping restrictions (especially for popups) because of the bears. In fact, as I recall there were several campgrounds where we were not allowed at all (with a popup). As i read the current camping info that restriction no longer applies. I guess that since we'll be heading that way just after Memorial day our only concern might be with which areas are actually open and that won't be known until we actually get there. At any rate, any tips, locations, etc that people have regarding Yellowstone (and Grand Tetons) would be helpful (especially from such an august body). As the "season" is about to be in full swing perhaps there should be another section just for trip stories, tips, etc. We hope to have plenty of pics to post from since we'll be taking along our new digital camera. Oh yeah, Spell Check seems to not be working...
Sinclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 09:29 AM   #2

Default Re: Yellowstone

Sinclue,

The ride over Beartooth Mountain, from Yellowstone into Red Lodge, Montana is most certainly memorable.  I don't know if the mountain pass will be open, it depends upon the weather, but I know they try to have it open by the end of May.  Charles Kuralt called it, "the most beautiful drive in the world."  The Yodeler Motel web-site calls Beartooth Pass: "The National Scenic Byway US-212 is a spectacular 67 miles from Red Lodge to Cooke City. The 2-3 hour drive with stops will take you to the "Top of the World" at nearly 11,000 ft.  This adventure takes you through alpine plateaus and lakes with views of snowcapped mountains, glaciers and meadows of incredible beauty. Not only can you play in the snow fields, but the area abounds with wildlife and acres of wild flowers in mid July.

The extra time spent here will be the most unforgettable exp erience of your vacation!"

I wouldn't miss it, if I were to visit Yellowstone again.  I was fortunate enuf' not to tow the TrailManor the first time we took this pass and if we were to take the ride again, I wouldn't take the TM along.  Just leave it parked and enjoy the view.  If you're anything like me, you'll be white-knuckled enuf, without wondering if the trailer will get you to the bottom faster than you want to go.  The northeast pass was not open when we were in Yellowstone (Thank God). We exited Yellowstone using the Northwest exit and made our way to Red Lodge, MT.  When we arrived at the Red Lodge KOA, we were told the highway would open the following day.  We made the journey without the TM.  It was great.

Happy Trails.............George
Old 05-05-2002, 10:14 AM   #3
2swans

Default Re: Yellowstone

we found the Signal Lake campground in the tetons to be a place of beauty. also, a hike up jenny lake to the falls is nice--and not hard. have fun! and if you fly fish, give the railroad rance on henry's fork a chance after you exit yellowstone through west yellowstone and enter idaho(40 mi. s. of w. yellowstone). 2swans