TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Default Have joined forum so moving my questions here

Does Trailmanor still wire their trailers so that GFI's trip? If yes, that is not the current standard in the industry (RVIA).

We do not want another bed all the time so are looking at the sofa option and the U-shaped eating area (2922KS, 2922KD, and the (3124KS, 3124KD). Anyone have pros and cons on the two sizes and two different floor plans?

What is the outside storage shown in the 3124 series and the TV/Cabinet Dresser?

Does that cabinet have to be laid down when towing and what size TV can it hold?

Does the dinette turn into a bed by moving cushions?

Are there any big negatives or big positives between the 2922 series and the 3124 series?

Do customers still complain about the noisy A/C?

Are the refrigerator cooling issues still there (been reading the thread on problems).

Now for option questions:

My wife and I really like the new look of the Silvertrail and the leatherette look over the fabric. Any observations from you guys and gals?

Factory installed solar pros and cons?

Satellite Dish/Tv Antenna combination (does it get DirecTV?)

Awning (anyone use it?)

Front window with curtains and Stoneguard

Low profile A/C (quiet enough now?)

The hanging cabinets over the stove and sink (seem like a good idea)

Microwave box (I would get oven and buy my own microwave)

3 drawer cab for slideout models (what is this?)

My tow vehicle will be a 2005 Avalanche 1500 that can tow 5400 pounds safely for reference. Sorry for all the questions, but my wife has gotten very interested so I need to get answers to these questions. Thank you in advance for your feedback!!
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Re: KD vs KS - The KS folding bed is shorter side-to-side (of the TM) than the KD. The arms of the couch encroach on the sleeping area, so when folded-out for sleeping, the KS bed is about 8" shorter than the KD. If you occasionally have a taller guest, they would appreciate the KD for sleeping, over the KS.

Yes, the dinette turns into a bed by putting table between benches (hinged, simple), then putting the cushions and backs of the benches on the flat surface.

My fridge cooled fine, until outside temps were over 90°.

Can't say about AC, as we never have hookups.

I love the SilverTrail, and would have purchased it if it were available when I ordered our new TM. Looks sharp, inside and out.

Factory solar is only 85w, I believe. I had them wire, and install the controller, but they left the panel off. I ordered a 100w panel from WindyNation, and it keeps me charged to 100% daily.

We opted to not get the awning ($1,000), but purchased a $100 10' x 10' straight-legged canopy from WalMart. Heavy-duty fabric. If it blows away, we are only out $100, vs ripping an awning in a sudden gust of wind. Move it where we want, not just in front of the TM.

Love the front window, especially with the dinette. Nice to be able to see out the side of the table, not just over each-others' shoulder.

Definitely like our hanging cabinet (only room for one in the 2417). Paper plates, towels, napkins. Lots of room for light items, and it is easy to put into place, even with contents.

Yes on the 3-drawer cabinet. We use it for our "dresser", and put our clothes in that, instead of duffle sacks. It sits on the floor next to our frige, but is movable. Could put it by the door, if you want.

Avalanche should be fine. Loaded, the larger trailers are in the 4,000 - 4,500 lb range. Use a weight-distributing hitch, and you should be set!

Good luck on the search/order! My wife loves our TM, and wants to go camping more than we have time for. Very comfortable, and easy to set up.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Thank you for your comments. Think I saw a metal rock guard near the end of this video. Is that an option I missed?

http://vimeo.com/90499050 around 2:43
Old 05-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

hello and welcome
we really like the sofa side of tm,
I am well over 6 ft and it is hard to get a nap on it,due to being on the short side but it is nice on that rainy afternoon,
tv will do grt, but I am a little biased about a avalanche

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
moaboy

New TM's (as well as old ones when they were new) comply with the RVIA standard as certified by their seal. I'd suggest you spend some time with a quality TM dealer so you can get a feel for a TM firsthand. And keep searching issues on the forum remembering that many TM owners come here to get tips, help and advice. We rarely spend much time writing about all the good times and fun we have with our TM's.
Good luck.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #6
Jeff L

Funpilot,

We are new owners of an older Trailmanor. Our a/c is very quiet. We have used the awning every time, it gives you an extra room almost as large as the camper. Your Avalanche will pull the TM with power to spare.
We looked at tons of travel trailers, when you see a comparable size travel trailer it rates 4k to 5k more in gvwr. Every time I get the itch for more amenities this fact alone lets me know I made the right decision. I sold trucks for many years and watched many new travel trailer owners spend another 20 to 50 thousand on a tow vehicle.
Hope this helps,
Jeff (Bayside High 1980)
Old 05-17-2014, 06:11 AM   #7
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
New TM's (as well as old ones when they were new) comply with the RVIA standard as certified by their seal. I'd suggest you spend some time with a quality TM dealer so you can get a feel for a TM firsthand. And keep searching issues on the forum remembering that many TM owners come here to get tips, help and advice. We rarely spend much time writing about all the good times and fun we have with our TM's.
Good luck.
Good to see this as the same issue has been the topic of long discussions on the Livin Lite forums. The argument is quite one sided...that popping GFIs is not the right thing to do. I will just make it a purchase requirement that they conform to this:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...vm=bv.66111022
Old 05-17-2014, 06:18 AM   #8
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Good luck on whatever you purchase, some worry about the what ifs I don't worry just enjoy my TM and camping!

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm a little mystified by your comment about GFIs and the RVIA. TM is a member of RVIA, and every TM has an RVIA certification sticker. The GFIs are commerical units used in thousands (millions?) of homes and RVs. They operate properly - they trip when they should, and don't trip when they shouldn't.

Someone somewhere is a bit confused - or they don't know what GFIs are supposed to do.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Here is the paper RVIA put out. What you never want is to plug into a miswired camping ground electric source with the ground not properly installed which is what appears to be the historic standard practice of the travel trailer industry. (I am basically repeating what I have read on other forums). I have asked my potential dealer to share this with Trailmanor for their feedback.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IV-E_IsolatedNeutral2.pdf (236.8 KB, 431 views)