TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-24-2003, 05:03 AM   #1
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Default Aligning to hitch to your TM

Does anyone use any special devices or techniques to line up to the TM hitch?  Or do you just use soemone to watch for you?  My wife and I haven't worked out any hand signals.  

Has anyone tried one of those Hensley Tongue twisters?
http://www.hensleymfg.com/tongue_twister.htm
BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 07:40 AM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re: Aligning to hitch to your TM

On our last trip out my wife (who knows what is needed) desided she really didn't need to give me any directions. This of course caused my having to get out of the truck 3 or 4 times. As soon as we got home I ordered a set of those little hand held CB radios. Now all she has to do is wisper into the speaker while depressing the side of the unit. In about three weeks I'll let you know if it helps.

The units I have are good for 5 miles, I sure hope she doesn't lead me off a cliff or into the river.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:31 AM   #3
MMARFISI

My wife and I work as a team.  We placed a mark on a spot of the rear window that I can see from the rear view mirror.  Wife stands next to hitch with her arm raised over the tongue(She trusts me...silly girl!). Then I line up the mark on the back window with her raized arm and slowly back up til she yells stop (if I hear her ). Works every time.  She just cranks the tongue down and off we go.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:28 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Has anyone tried one of those Hensley Tongue twisters?
http://www.hensleymfg.com/tongue_twister.htm
The link wouldn't work for me, but >http://www.hensleymfg.com/hensley_accessories.htm< did bring up a short animation of something I don't understand.  Looks like the jack stand shaft is sliding back and forth across a flat rock (!!)

Instead of anything elaborate, I went to Radio Shack (WalMart, Home Depot, Lowe's, ...) and bought a couple small magnets for a few pennies.  The ones I got are about an inch square and a quarter inch thick.  There are round ones, too. They have a small hole in the center.  I unfolded a wire coat hanger, and cut off two straight pieces of wire about 12" long.  Put the magnets on a piece of waxed paper, filled the little hole with epoxy, jabbed the end of the wires into the wet epoxy, and let dry.

In use, I clack one magnet onto the hitch just forward of the ball, and the other onto the top of the coupler, with the wires pointing up.  I open the tailgate on my Explorer, and from the driver's seat, I can see both wires. Just back up until the two wires meet, and bingo - I'm there.

Mighty simple, mighty cheap, and quite effective with any tow vehicle that lets you see the wires.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:09 PM   #5
Sinclue
Site Sponsor

I use a system that is like Bill's, but more "high tech" That is to say I got it at an RV show about 5 years ago.  Basically its two telescoping rods (48&quot with magnetic bases.  One goes on top of the hitch ball and on on top of the coupler.  Keep them lined up as you back up and when one is displaced you are there.  They fit into a 10" tube so they are always accessible.  I couldn't find them on the internet with a Google search however.  Its called an E-Z-Guide and its made by D.J.Enterprises in Illinois.  Phone number 800-223-7119 (don't know if they are still in business however).  I love mine.
I did turn up a similar item in my search, called "Hitchin' Rods" that looks the same only not telescoping. See:

http://www.qwks.com/hitchin_rods/

There are descriptions and pictures of it in action.

jim
Sinclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:53 PM   #6
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

I can definitely recommend the "Fast Hitch Mirror" from Camping World
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...H&tcode=37

It's a 9" diameter convex mirror that temporarily attaches to the back of the tow vehicle with clips and/or suction cups. The mounting arms have ratcheting brackets to enable it to be reproducibly positioned after you get the angle right the first time.

I travel solo and without a helper I used to have to run back and forth several times to get the ball under the TM hitch. With this mirror attached to my Cherokee's back window, I can usually get things lined up in just one try.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:58 PM   #7
kempert
Site Sponsor

I use a system like jp uses.  I found the rods at a local Kmart that was closing.  The pair cost me less than $10. They have a red light at the tip of each rod that can be activated if needed.  Forget about communication problems.
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 05:53 AM   #8
ColoradoCop

I found that by keeping the tongue jack handle in the up position that the latch on the tailgate window lines up perfectly with the kitch.  My wife simply stands behind the Blazer (with window open) and tells me when I'm lined up.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:15 PM   #9

I use a set of back up sticks that I bought at a trailer sales lot.  They are florescent poles with magnets on them. One goes on the hitch ball and one goes on the trailer behind the jack.  When you line them up and then back up until the rod on the ball falls.  Stop immediately and you will be lined up perfect.  I got them at Jackson's Trailers in Mesa, Arizona (480)232-1800.  You can call them and get the info. on where and how to buy them from them or in your area.

They work great.

Good Luck,

Pat Shroyer
Old 06-28-2003, 03:09 AM   #10
bbeckham

Sure appreciate all the details in this tread. Will look into the rods for solo hitching.

We have use handheld walkie talkies for about a year. Sure beats shouting. Additionally, when we set up or take down the TM, we can easily communicate with eachother - one in the TM the other with set up duties outside. It is amazing that some families are still speaking to each other after all the shouting and hot tempers we have observed.