TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
DoubleT

Default Question on Power Front Slide

Has anyone had an issue on the Power Front Slide sticking. If so is there a manual release and how hard is it to close manually?
TV 2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4.6 V-8 w/Tow Pkg
Air Bags, Swing Hitch
DoubleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
Jampcourt

Is your switch located to the left of the door, on the side of the stove cabinet? That is where ours is on our 2922KS, and it can easily be hit by the door itself when one is breaking down or setting up. Just a gentle tap is apparently all that it took to break the switch....we, too, thought the slide was just stuck at first.

We made this discovery on our second trip out.....and thought that we would have to turn right around and make a 6.5 hour drive back home We did manage to move the slide manually, with husband pushing from the inside, and me tugging from the outside, but the weight of the electric mechanism itself makes it very difficult. It was somewhat easier to close with both of us pushing from the outside, so, yes, it is possible. We did no apparent damage by manhandling the slide, as it has worked beautifully since repaired.

Fortunately, our Colorado Springs dealer had an extra available, but we learned the hard way to baby that switch when we open or close the TM. Hope your problem has an easy solution.
2014 Ford Explorer with tow package, Tekonsha brake controller, Reese WDH, Renogy 100 W portable solar suitcase, modified for 7 pin plug. (Our battery is up front, under sofa). Modified to fill hot water heater and fresh water tank with unit closed.
Jampcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:02 PM   #3
Wingedryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jampcourt View Post
Is your switch located to the left of the door, on the side of the stove cabinet? That is where ours is on our 2922KS, and it can easily be hit by the door itself when one is breaking down or setting up. Just a gentle tap is apparently all that it took to break the switch....we, too, thought the slide was just stuck at first.

Fortunately, our Colorado Springs dealer had an extra available, but we learned the hard way to baby that switch when we open or close the TM. Hope your problem has an easy solution.
Thanks for the tip! Don't know if that had any effect on our switch, as it quit while extending the slide out, but will watch closely when setting up & breaking down our '13 2720SD. Have to concur, it isn't easy to extend nor retract the slide by hand, particularly in view of the motor's resistance (notice the front slides were formerly un-motorized and probably a bit easier to pull out & push in). Ours TM is currently back to the Colo Springs dealer for that and a seized Electro-Magic flush motor, either of which have hardly been used.

Just shows you, electrical conveniences can certainly have their shortcomings!
Wingedryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:07 AM   #4
funpilot
TrailManor Master

My electric slide would jump nastily just before it fully extended. When it was back at TM, one of the guys crawled underneath and twisted the motor (it was not in properly) and basically put it back in. No problems since then. Thus, my issue had nothing to do with my switches. I have two on the right side when I enter. One I hold down and the other I toggle to open or close the slide out.
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:03 AM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Have thought about just putting a loop on the slide, connecting to the TV with a tow strap and just pulling it out (is easier to retract since can push).

Have also been thinking about manual assist devices to help raise the end modules particularly the front where the tongue and propane bottles are in the way. Perhaps just a n inverted V with a pulley at the top.

Once I put the TV into the equation, it just leaves the rear section which is generally easier for me just as closing is generally easier than opening.

Guess being an ME first and EE second I tend to look to mechanical answers rather than jumping right to electrics..
Old 05-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #6
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Since we don't have the electric slide I just push it out from inside.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #7
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Have thought about just putting a loop on the slide, connecting to the TV with a tow strap and just pulling it out (is easier to retract since can push).

Have also been thinking about manual assist devices to help raise the end modules particularly the front where the tongue and propane bottles are in the way. Perhaps just a n inverted V with a pulley at the top.

Once I put the TV into the equation, it just leaves the rear section which is generally easier for me just as closing is generally easier than opening.

Guess being an ME first and EE second I tend to look to mechanical answers rather than jumping right to electrics..
I am confident that there has to be an ME solution for raising all our TMs. Patent it first then let us know !!
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Have a couple but do not believe in patents. Think they stifile invention. Should be for no more than five years - three for software.

Years ago I developed a one piston dipper mechanism for very large aluminum die casting machines (standard was three). GM wanted to patent until I told them they already had: was just a MacPherson Strut front suspension taken past sane limits.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:35 PM   #9
seanlou

We also have a 2720SD, the front slide is so hard to pull out (setup) or push in (teardown), I read your posts that it looks like there is electric slide? No wonder it's so hard to do it manually. I took a pic (attached), is this the switch that controls the (located by the door under stove) slide? Could anyone tell me how to use it? I assume when setting it up, switch to "out" and press operate button, and when tearing down, switch to "in" and press operate button?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1295.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	13713  
seanlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:22 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Yes, that is the switch. The electric slide is quite new to TM, so most of us don't recognize it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote