TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2009, 05:27 AM   #1
rjlwork

Default Propane with TM closed?

Another newbie question. Can we turn on the refrigerator (propane) with the trailer closed to pre-cool it? It's stored outside with no electric close. Thought we'd do this a day before going out to accelerate the cooldown process. Thanks for your input.
Judy
Old 09-29-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
rumbleweed

To run the fridge with the TM closed on any power source, you will need to run the fridge exhaust fan. If you run that on 12V ( no shore power) you will really drain or kill the battery depending how long you run it. Without the fan running, the fridge will not work closed as there is no where for the heat to go. Technically running on propane closed will work, but personally I would not not do this just for safety reasons.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
Scott O

Between a rock and a hard place! As mentioned, running on any power with the TM closed requires the exhaust fan to be on. The use of 12v to run the refer and the fan will quickly exhaust the battery. I have no problem using propane when closed and the fan doesn't draw much power, although others may correct me on this. But it is not a good idea to travel while on propane, again, others may correct me on this! So, you would need to open the TM and switch to propane and turn the fan on, lower the TM for overnight storage, open the TM when ready to leave and switch back to 12v, and lower the TM again!!! Be sure to leave the fan on while traveling on any power. Any chance you could just leave the TM open over night and close it before you leave on your trip?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
rjlwork

Thanks for responding Scott; I don't feel comfortable leaving the TM open where it's stored (self-storage lot). With the Trailmini, it's possible to enter and turn the frig on without opening the top (crawling in). That's why we were considering this scenario. I thought it would vent OK with the ceiling vent cracked open, but maybe not enough to keep the frig operating properly. Definately won't transport on propane; too scary for me. Would the battery drain in just one day with the frig cooling? Still trying to figure out battery capacity. I do know it's been running the LP detector since our last outing on the 20th. Our battery is under the sofa and I haven't gotten in there to figure out where the in-line fuse is.
We'll definitely be adding a cut-off switch soon.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlwork View Post
I thought it would vent OK with the ceiling vent cracked open, but maybe not enough to keep the frig operating properly.
The refrigerator generates heat, but the heat is confined to the area behind the refrig. The heat doesn't get into the interior of the TM, so opening the ceiling vent won't help.

Quote:
Still trying to figure out battery capacity.
Unless you paid a lot of money for something special, the dealer installed either a Group 24 or a Group 27 battery. Both have a capacity of about 75 amp-hours when new, of which you should not use more than about half. Say about 40 amp-hours max.

Quote:
Would the battery drain in just one day with the frig cooling?
If the refrig is cooling on battery, the answer is yes. The refrig pulls about 10 amps from the battery, so 4 hours of use would discharge the battery. On the other hand, if you are cooling on propane, the refrig causes no battery drain. In either case, as Scott said, the fan consumes very little power (about half an amp, according to its nameplate), so the fan alone should be good for a several days.

Quote:
I do know it's been running the LP detector since our last outing on the 20th.
The LP detector pulls only a tiny amount of current. It doesn't become significant unless you run it for weeks.

Quote:
Our battery is under the sofa and I haven't gotten in there to figure out where the in-line fuse is.
The fuseholder is wired into the wire that connects to the positive battery post, about 6 inches from the battery.
If your fuseholder is white plastic, vaguely cylindrical, you should replace it befroe too long, as this type of fuseholder is prone to failure. It is an easy and inexpensive project.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
rumbleweed

If at your destination, you will have shore power, as Bill says no issue running the fan for a day or two. If you will boondocking and relying on your battery or solar, you could have an issue as you will have used approx 1/2 of your usable ( 40 amphr before recharge) avail reserve.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
paulgart

I'll offer a suggestion from our tent camping days. Freeze as many menu items as you can for your trip. Steaks, homemade soup, brats...one of our camping favorites is tamales and green chile. Throw some of that into the freezer and main section of your refrigerator to kick start the process with electricity from home.
Another twist on the discussion; we'd left on our last trip and I realized that I'd forgotten to turn on the refrigerator fan. We stopped at a gas station to top off fuel and get some travelling snacks. After fueling, I popped the front shell fully and the back shell partially; dove onto the stowed front bed, flipped the switch and secured both shells for travel before my best girl Donna had returned with snacks.
I did get some interesting looks!
"It's a Trailmanor thing...you wouldn't understand!"
2005 Nissan Xterra
:new_newbi
paulgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
robertkennel

If you have room in the tow vehicle just use an ice chest. We use it going and coming from camping and things are a lot easier. Coming home I just back the trailer in the garage and goodnight. No opening and closing at 11 at night after a long drive and work the next day. Ice chests worked well when I was a kid for a seven member family for days.

Having to pull the trailer out of the garage, open the trailer, close the refrig door(left open to prevent mold) turn on frig, then close the next day for travel isn't for me.

Robert
Old 09-30-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
rumbleweed

Another advantage of Robertkennel's solution "We use it going and coming from camping and things are a lot easier." is you can empty the fridge into the cooler just before closing. Shut off the fridge, leave the door cracked, and have it thawed out by the time you get home to clean out. We put a towel on the bottom of fridg just in case the drip tray spills. When we open at home to clean out the fridge is usually thawed and dry.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
rjlwork

How do you prop it open when moving? I'm guessing the towel goes into the door too or you block it outside with something? We'll be doing the cooler thing this weekend because it's such a short trip.