TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #1
crockett
Site Sponsor

Smile Surge Protection or EMS

We just recently purchased a 3124kb and were trying to get it all set up with all the necessary goodies.. Ive been trying to research on Protecting our TM from electrical damage that can happen at campgrounds due to faulty wiring on the 30amp post or just wiring thats gone bad on the power box hookup. The more I research the more dicouraged I become seeing how these surge protectors, and even the $260.00 ones going bad and melting the unit and the cord end. I do want to protect our TM but feeling a bit at a loss. Please share your thoughts on this and any recomondations. Suprised this subject cannot be found.
Thanks Dave
crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
YNPKing

Dave,
I owned my 2014 2417 Sport for 4 years and camped about 200 days in that time from Florida to PA and most all of the western states. I used a portable 30amp Surge Guard protector and only once did it indicate faulty wiring in a campground. I guess I was just lucky. Sorry I can't be of further help.

Dan
Old 12-30-2021, 02:52 PM   #3
JohnMD

Default Resurrecting this question...

I'm doing some research on surge protectors and EMS units and thought I'd bump this thread up to see if there are any updated opinions on this. My thought is that the extra $100+ is probably worth it to get the peace of mind of the EMS's additional features/protections. It looks like the Progressive Industries and Hughes Autoformers Power Watchdog are among the more popular. I am curious to know if anyone has thoughts on these units or any others that you may recommend. I would go with a portable unit.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt30x

https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd30-epo/

As always, thank you for your time and insight.

John
Old 12-30-2021, 05:24 PM   #4
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

I bought the progressive for my TM, and its helped me a few times. At one campground, I had a small heater in my rig running when my power went out. Turned out that power was dropping to 106 and lower voltage, which showed on the Progressive unit. After seeing that, I stopped running the plugin heater, and reverted to my Mr Heater buddy as needed. As my friend says, its cheaper up front, than at the repairs station. Or in the worst case, after the fireman puts out the flames.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:10 AM   #5
Shane826
TrailManor Master

I have the Hughes Watchdog EMS and like it. I kinda wish I want with the hardwired version though as I don’t like leaving it out in the rain and at some campsites the utility pole is short enough that the plug is on the ground. The other downside is the light is REALLY bright. I bought the shade but they makes the light almost invisible during the day. I love the actual functionality of the unit and the Bluetooth monitoring is nice. But I recommend the hardwired version.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 06:07 PM   #6
JohnMD

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback and insight. I am still leaning toward a portable EMS, but when the weather gets nicer, I'll open up the TM and consider the feasibility of the hardwired option. The power cord is coiled in the back bumper compartment, so I presume a decent place to install one would be in the storage area directly in front/above the back bumper. From reading the literature online, I don't see any warnings about the hardwired units requiring ventilation. Perhaps that is a call to the company?

John