TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
moaboy

Default Flagler Beach, Rogers Memorial St. Rec area?

Have any of you Floridians stayed at this CG on the beach near Flagler Beach?
How does it compare to the state park CG further south near Sebastian ?
I'm moving my TM from PA to FL soon and may stop on my way down to PSL.
Thanks for any info and or other recommendations for good beach camping off of I-95.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

GR has some sites with a really nice ocean view and less bugs than Sebastian Inlet which is more on the Intercoastal. Best come during the week and reserve early. Senior Floridians get 1/2 price at state parks.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #3
TravlinOn

Haven't stayed at the CG at Flagler Beach, but an excellent alternative is the Fort Clinch State Park at Fernandina, FL - just north of Jacksonville. Gives you a choice between ocean beach or river view. Not all sites have shade, though, and August can be really hot - same as Flagler probably.

Side note: Between Flagler Beach downtown and Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island downtowns for historic/dining/shopping in historic setting, choose Fernandina/Amelia - jmo.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Our favorite is Favor Dykes, smaller and more shaded. If you plan on being there in Feb they maybe already full. Any of those near Daytona Beach get reserved early 'cause of speed weeks.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

Fort clinch is great. The river campground is much better. On the first weekend of the month it is staffed by either the union or confederate garrison. The night tour of the fort is very nice. If you fish the pier is nice. Eating out at a Sliders down the road is relaxed and nice On the beach, playground for the kids, music and not costly.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
moaboy

Thanks all. Nothing like camping near the beach especially if one is originally from the Midwest.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Just remember, in the midwest you wash salt off lower surfaces and the underbody. On the coast you wash it off everything particularly window/door frames and the roof. (I've seen coast cars with rusty radios).

Lack of salt is one of the reasons I live in Orlando "where rust must be imported".
Old 08-18-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
Tampajohn

Gamble Rogers is probably one of my favorite parks. We have stayed there several times. I think they might be doing some remodeling, might want to check. You can take the dogs on the beach about 300 yards south. Pack them in the car and the next cutout south, park and take the dogs to the beach. Florida State Parks do not allow dogs on the beach, but this is Flagler Beach area. We reserve it way ahead of time so we can get in. Sometimes you get lucky without reservations.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #9
Tampajohn

Sebastian Inlet was really bad with mosquitos when were there last. We were at Fort Clinch last week but we do prefer the River section. Mosquitos not too bad at FC.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #10
moaboy

3 nights at Sebastian Inlet-beautiful park. And I have to say from what I can tell FL state parks better equipped than those in PA. In PA only electric at sites, in FL I had electric and water and flush toilets and hot showers...and I understand some FL parks even have sewer connections at each site. Nice.