TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
takeachance

Default Just bought a 2007 2720sl! NEWBIE with Questions

Just put money down a 2007 2720sl in good condition but I notice a few things as a was doing a walkthrough and was wondering what else I should look for, this is what I have noticed so far:

- One of the outer window seams has shrunk exposing a little hole of about an inch, is that fairly common?
- The owner has had to replace the electric cable but chose a receptacle that doesn't fit in the hole, is that easily replaced?
- The was small burn area on the insulated covers above where the exhausted for the furnace is, is that something I will have to keep an eye on.
- They have put the 15 tires which seem in good shape
- There is some slight rusting one the connectors where the until clamps together, is that common
- All seem and seals seam good no leaks, it was raining very hard so it was a good test.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 03-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
rumbleweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeachance View Post
Just put money down a 2007 2720sl in good condition but I notice a few things as a was doing a walkthrough and was wondering what else I should look for, this is what I have noticed so far:

-
Thanks,

Scott
One of the outer window seams has shrunk exposing a little hole of about an inch, is that fairly common?
**If you are referring to the rubber seal, that is common and not too difficult to replace.
- The owner has had to replace the electric cable but chose a receptacle that doesn't fit in the hole, is that easily replaced?
** Not sure why they would replace cable, but the plug can be replaced or you can just replace the entire cable.
- The was small burn area on the insulated covers above where the exhausted for the furnace is, is that something I will have to keep an eye on.
** The furnace exhaust should be two metal vents. Not sure what insulating covers you are referring to Picture would help.
- They have put the 15 tires which seem in good shape
** Check the date code on the tires, if 3-4 yrs old you should plan to replace, Trailers do not wear out they deteriorate and fail long before the tread gets worn.
- There is some slight rusting one the connectors where the until clamps together, is that common
** you will find rust on metal parts. A little surface rust can be sanded and painted ( an annual maint task anyway)
- All seem and seals seam good no leaks, it was raining very hard so it was a good test.

** check the battery. If it is original, you should plan on replacing it even if you do not plan to boondock as it powers the emergency breakaway braking.
Check the fridge on all three modes. Check water heater, but be sure the WH is full before you turn on AC heater element.
Replace the anode rod in the WH when you get it home. small price to prevent major water heater problems.
Check toilet to see if pump works, you will need 3-4 gallons of water .
Check water pump. Flush water system good when you get it home.
Search this forum for manuals if you do not get them with TM
Old 03-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
kempert
Site Sponsor

"The was small burn area on the insulated covers above where the exhausted for the furnace is, is that something I will have to keep an eye on."

I'm assuming (a very dangerous thing to do but here goes) that you are refering to the flap that folds down when the unit is opened. If there is a burned area where the flap would be next to the furnace outlet when closed, it means that someone forgot to turn off the heat before closing the TM and the furnace turned on. BTW - I believe that this flap is only found on units with the front slideout.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Kempert -

About the flap - you put the picture in my mind. Thanks. This flap (it runs the width of the sofa and is about 8 inches wide) is supposed to be lifted up and SECURED WITH THE TURN LATCHES when you are getting ready to collapse the camper. If you don't use at least one of the turn latches, the flap can flop down, which leaves it hanging outside the camper. Then, when you fold down the front shell, the flap is pressed against the furnace vent which, as you say, is on the front wall of the lower shell. If that vent is still hot, then it can melt or burn an imprint into surface of the flap.

Hope that made sense. Always secure that flap in the up position!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
kempert
Site Sponsor

Bill -

Even if you lift the flap and secure it, it can still be in contact with the furnace outlets. I have marks on the underside of my flap to prove it. I forgot to completely turn my furnace off several winters ago. After closing down the TM and driving about 50 miles, I stopped and could smell vinyl burning. I opened the front shell and could see where the flap had been slightly scorched. Since the tanks had been turned off (something I always do), I guess the propane that burned was what was in the lines.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
rumbleweed

If you don't turn the furnace off ( not just down) and you leave the gas on, the furnace could start with the unit closed and cause problems. On the stock furnace thermostat, there is a click position at the low end that turns the furnace off. To be safe always turn the propane off when you have the TM closed.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
takeachance

Thanks for the advice, yes it is the cover that goes over the gap behind the couch, it would surprise me if they left the furnace on or something like that, makes sense but it sounds like folks don't have problems if it is put together right.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:14 PM   #8
tmmd2619

Just a note on the tires. We had new oem tires (same as Factory) replaced on ours. They both blew out over a short period of time of semi off roading and heat of the summer.
We upgraded to a higher ply rating and we get less squatting or sidewall bulging and so far for 2 seasons feel much safer and happier with them. These trailers can be badly damaged from tire blowouts. It tore loose the hold down latch and we still have large circular marks on the inside walls above the shelf where the wardrobe sits from the tire because it is over the tires when folded and traveling. also lost the fender flare cover when it happened. Also a good idea to get a tire-minder type of pressure monitoring system for a bit more piece of mind and maybe catch a failing tire before it blows. We did and so far so good.
tmmd2619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:17 AM   #9
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I always turn the propane off when closing mine, that is the best way.

Tags
2720sl