TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
TexasCamper

Default Highway Topography Info

I've been casually looking on the internet for maps or a software tool that can show highway topography. Or something that lists out all 6%+ grades. Anybody know of anything like this available???? There's only so much you can assume from a state topography map.

When planning cross-country routes, I'd like to know a little more about where the worst ups & downs are. That way I can adjust my plans for how long to drive those days; and ideally so I can avoid the worst grades and find an alternate route that isn't as bad.

John
TV#1: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country (3.8L Touring w/ tow package, WDH) (*retired 2018*)
TV#2: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (w/ tow package, WDH)
TV#3: 2018 Ford F150 (w/ tow package, WDH)
TexasCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Long-distance bicyclists care a lot about this, and have tools such as you ask about. Not being a long-distance bicylist, I'm not familiar with any of them, but a Google search on "elevation profile" brings up a lot of hits.

I know that some GPS receivers can do it, too, but the procedure for doing it in advance (as opposed to after the fact, which I have done) may be clunky. Let me do a bit of reviewing, assuming no one else has a good answer

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
freein05

The mapping software I got last year with my Trailer life directory includes grades. If you go to tools and set the % of grade you want it to high lite. It will put it on the trip map you asked it to calculate on your computer.

The mapping software is not that good. You have to be careful. It will take you over 4X4 roads if you are not careful. I have not figured out a method so it will not take you over 4X4 roads.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
rumbleweed

Take a look at Topo8 from Delorme. It provides actual elevation detail for your route or any part of it. It is available in full US or eastern and western sections at half price. See attached screen shot showing elevation for highlighted route in Blue Ridge.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Topo 8 Demo.doc (746.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
Joseph

Default Mountain Directory West ( or East )

I have a thin book titled Mountain Directory West. It has locations and descriptions of over 400 mountain passes and steep grades in eleven western states. I got it just for grins and to know where the really steep climbs and descents would be, if any, along my route. Since it is a book it does not require a computer or electricity to use and goes well with a cup of coffee in the morning before pulling out.... I did a quick search on the web and it comes up in many bookstores. ( and keep your brakes in good working order