TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
klv5920

Question Permanent living in TM

Does anyone on this forum permanently live in their TM? Pros/ Cons??
Has anyone considered doing it? Where would you spend your winters?

My DH and I have been kicking the idea around some. With the cost of keeping our home, might be an option for us.

Karen
Old 09-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Karen -

Full timing is question that comes up once or twice a year, so there is a lot of discussion. Here is one such thread

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ight=full+time

There are others - you can use the Search term "full+time" to pull up some of them.

Full timing in the winter will be a challenge if you are in snow country. I'm not convinced it would be practical, but others might disagree. You might look up "winter" while you are at it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
PopBeavers

Some snow birds head for Quartzite, AZ...

Every January something happens that is hard to believe, unless you have seen it! According to the Arizona Highway Department, as many as 750,000 to 1,000,000 people, mostly in RV’s, converge on this sleepy little desert town, located just 20 miles east of the California border on Interstate 10.

Free camping in warm weather with a million fellow RVers all around you.

No Hookups.

What a way to enjoy the solitude of the desert.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
klv5920

Is the place known as the Breaks? I have read about the Breaks and have friends who camped there for a while.

Karen
Old 09-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by klv5920 View Post
Is the place known as the Breaks? I have read about the Breaks and have friends who camped there for a while.

Karen
Never head of the breaks. that might be a common name of a particular area.

Most people just park somewhere in the middle of nowhere on BLM land. It takes a lot of land for that many rigs.

A lot of people that have made friends along the way will meet up at a particular location and "circle the wagons" to create their own little group area.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
klv5920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Karen -

Full timing is question that comes up once or twice a year, so there is a lot of discussion. Here is one such thread

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ight=full+time

There are others - you can use the Search term "full+time" to pull up some of them.

Full timing in the winter will be a challenge if you are in snow country. I'm not convinced it would be practical, but others might disagree. You might look up "winter" while you are at it.

Bill
Did not find very much info on full timing in a TM. Many have stated they have stayed 3 or 4 months but no posts on permanent living. Winter camping posts very informative but not my idea of fun to camp in the snow or cold. Would definitely move to a warmer climate.
Thought there might be more posts about extended living.
Karen
Old 09-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
klv5920

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Never head of the breaks. that might be a common name of a particular area.

Most people just park somewhere in the middle of nowhere on BLM land. It takes a lot of land for that many rigs.

Not sure where it is located, have lost the web site for it. I know people live there, some permanently and it is government land. I am asking my friend for more info. It sounds like an adventure though. But, like everything else, just a matter of time before the government moves in and spoils it.
Karen
Old 09-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
klv5920

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Never head of the breaks.

OOPPss! My mistake! Brain recall not working well. The place I am thinking of is called The Slabs or Slab City at Niland, CA. Old Marine base.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
Tampajohn

Pulled this up about full-timing and I think we are going to try a anti-snowbird deal. We live in Florida and am planning next year to rent our sticks out to snowbirds and live in our TM for about 4 months while we head out to the SW US. We were at Slab City this summer and temp was 114. Stopped by Quartzite also in August and again hot and no one there. I am retiring from driving a school bus in June. Own 3 rentals which I don't want to sell just yet with market being what it is and plan on renting our home that we live in to the snowbirds while we travel. We camped in an Aliner for 10 weeks the past summer. The 2720 should feel like a mansion in comparison. Project this winter is to get the TM converted over to our style of living.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
PopBeavers

The best time for Quartzite is January when the show is going on. Every year 1million people visit Quartzite. But it happens in a 2 month period of time.

I might go for a week this year.