TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
KatesRiver

Default 2417 Owners: Sport vs Standard?

Hi folks. I've narrowed my choice of TM to the 2417 KB and looked at a Sport yesterday. Would like to hear from 2417 owners why you chose sport or standard. I can see from the specs that there's an extra 6 inches in width. Where does that show up inside? I can see where six inches might be helpful in the kitchen, but elsewhere useful? Also, are there other advantages to the Standard I'm missing? Is it worth the extra 150 lbs and the extra $$?

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I sent her a PM, but forgot to check the box to save a copy. I am not going to write all I sent to her, but maybe she will copy and paste my response. It was long, but I believe, useful. Don't want anyone to think I am ignoring her request for info, since I had both models.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #3
KatesRiver

Yes, LoveToCamp sent the most helpful PM today and, with his permission, I am pasting it here (thanks again, LTC!):

---------------------------

Kate,

We feel the Standard is noticeably wider. I didn't think 6" would make a difference, but it does, in a number of ways.

First, the distance between the sink and the bathroom wall is wider. Easier to get around someone at the sink, if you want to get to the drawers in the kitchen.

Second, the dinette table is 6" wider, so there is more room to set out dinner. There are only two of us, but we like that extra space.

Third, if you don't go with the slide, the bed is 6" longer for whoever sleeps on the front (double) bed. That doesn't matter to kids, but if you have an adult or two join you for a trip, they will appreciate that extra length in bed. It makes no difference in the king bed, as you sleep lengthwise in that bed, instead of crawling over one another.

The dinette converted to a bed is not as comfortable as a flat mattress, but that can be a non-issue to some. My hunting buddy slept on the dinette conversion, and didn't complain about it. If you put a thin camping pad down, and use a sleeping bag, you may not notice the seams between cushions very much. On the other hand, if one is a "princess", like my wife, the seams would be annoying.

My Sport had two propane tanks (I ordered it that way), and one battery. The battery was on the outside. My Standard has the battery inside, and I added a second one (thought one was dead, bought another, then found out the other was still good. So, I just hooked both up, under a dinette bench, and all is good.) No, you could not put two on the Sport, outside, but you could put two under the bench. A vent to the outside is the only thing that would be missing. The factory could put the vent in, if you asked to place the batteries in the dinette bench. They are always accommodating to special requests, and changing layouts all the time. Just because the old Sport had the battery outside, does not mean they still do. Check, if you factory-order.

BUT, we have camped three or four different weeks with one battery, and a 100w solar panel (mounted to the roof). Never ran low on power, but we pay attention to power consumption. I do run the furnace when needed (some nights were around 30°), and have not had problems. We had one week with sporadic sun, and still did fine (still only had one battery then, as I just put the second battery in a couple months ago). I encourage solar, as it has worked very well for me. If you go without solar, two batteries will likely get you through a summer week, but not a cold week. Furnace fans use lots of power.

I would not do the KS if you need two sleeping areas, as the eating layout is not good for 4 people. Even 3 would be a challenge. If you do the slide, I would recommend the KD, so you have the dinette to convert. It is larger (could sleep two kids), while the sofa has less sleeping area. Plus, the sofa is 6" shorter head-to-toe, due to the armrests on the sofa. In my opinion, the sofa is only to be used for an unexpected guest, and they will not have a good night's sleep, if they are a teenager or older.

There you have it - my opinions, based on having both models. We love our KD, and for us, it is great. But, we only have an additional person once a year, so they can deal with it. If you have one or two kids, the KB is the better model. And, with more than two of you, I would go Standard, not Sport. One wouldn't think 6" makes much difference, but it certainly does. And don't woryy about that 150 lbs. Not worth considering, as the loaded trailer will weigh about 3,500 lbs. Weight difference is not enough to notice in fuel economy, nor pulling power. And the money difference is worth it, if it makes your trips more comfortable.

Good luck, and let me know if you have other questions.
TV: 2014 Grand Cherokee 3.0L diesel
Old 04-19-2015, 12:03 PM   #4
YNPKing

Kate,

Last year, my wife and I traveled 8,000 miles out west and we both enjoy the 2417KS Sport. We chose the KS because of the comfy chair but it turned out it was discontinued before our delivery last May. Regardless, it has worked out well for the 2 of us. Our requirements were that it must fit in the garage (height), hard sided (bears in NP), comfortable (options), low cost, easy to tow (low profile, narrow, reduced weight). Also, a side benefit is no TV extended mirrors (narrow) or a WDH (heavy to lift).

I only have one caution and that is that the TV is important. It has been pointed out many times in this forum that the published weight specs are significantly low when compared to real life. We have all the options, except for, electric tongue jack, solar, hanging cabinets. In addition, we also have 2 AGM batteries, one on the left side and one centered under the sofa. Ed, who retired from the TN factory said, originally the 2417 was never intended to carry all these options. With 2 full propane tanks, 2 batteries up front, and a retracted (pulled in) sofa area, you can expect the tongue weight to be in the 550# weight range which is nowhere close to the 300# specs. So, unless the factory has moved the axle location forward on the 2015 models, beware of the tongue weight load on the TV. Fortunately, my 2014 Jeep GC has max. GTW 6,200# and max. tongue Wt 620#. And, I agree with Padgett that this is the best vehicle I have ever owned.

LoveToCamp - What was your experience with tongue weight on both models of the 2417?

Good Luck.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #5
KatesRiver

YNP,

Thanks for your reply. The 2417 appeals to me for all the reasons you mentioned. Though, I didn't think about the wider Standard requiring tow mirrors. Interesting info on the tongue weight and food for thought. Perhaps LoveToCamp can weigh in on this (pun not? intended). Do you carry one or two propane tanks on your Sport?

I tow with a Tacoma rated at 6500 lbs and 600+ tongue weight, so feel quite comfortable in that realm. I do agree with all of the wisdom that advises against bumping up near the stated max without lots of mechanical help, though. I used to tow a tall 5000+ lb boat without an anti-sway hitch and never enjoyed it.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
YNPKing

Kate,

LoveTo Camp should be able to tell you if he thinks extended mirrors are needed. I can't say it "requires" it. I certainly wouldn't let the mirrors determine which 2417 to buy.

I ordered 2 propane tanks but now due to the tongue weight I will run one down low before I fill the other (reduces ~19#). I could go to just one battery and eliminate another 66#. I know a WDH can correct the tongue weight. I just prefer to not deal with the weight of the hitch.

Dan
Old 04-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #7
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Mirrors - Didn't use extenders with the Sport, but did get them ($50 for the pair, I think, at Camping World) for the Standard.

Tongue Wt. - Have not weighed the tongue, but I do use a weight-distributing hitch. I tow level, so I have not given tongue wt. another thought. BUT, with the KD, my 40-gal water tank is in the back, which lightens my tongue. The KB may have the tank under one of the dinette seats. That makes a big difference, much more than a propane bottle or battery. You'll have to check with the factory to see where they are putting the water tank now.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:03 PM   #8
moaboy

Wide mirrors really are no biggie. Many places sell the ones that have bands made of heavy duty rubber that fit tightly over your mirrors. They work well. I only use one on the driver side and again, works well.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:04 PM   #9
Laura FM

We have the original 2417 - which is the narrow model, with a King sized bed (OMG, it is HUGE) and the smaller not-really-double bed on the other side. We were down sizing (and up qualitying) from a large high wall PUP, and wanted to go simpler. We opted for no toilet - since it just takes up so much of a limited space. No toilet makes the inside space so much more open and pleasant. It is just the two of us, though sometimes our 22 year old daughter joins us. She is short. We also have a 25 year old son, also short. We are short people.

Options we have - solar panel and a few smaller things. We have 9 windows (including the one on the king end.) We have a fantastic fan. We decided not to get the awning. We have no TV/radio. We did not ask for the outside shower, but got it anyway. I am glad I did, because the inside sink is so small, and low, so I prefer to wash dishes outside, but use the outside shower to get the hot dishwater.

We found the mattress pretty hard, and (one of the things I do not like about TM) you cannot close up the thing with a mattress pad in place. Costco had these fabric covered roll up pads and we found that two of them, side by side, perfectly covers our mattress, so it is easy to pull them off. We then use a bad sack (which is a double sleeping back but with sheets that velcro in).

I love the narrowness when we tow. it makes a difference. For two people it is great.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #10
ArkyDoodle

We too have the Sport model and the 6" width hasn't been "noticeable" to us. There's just the two of us so we only need one sleeping area and we opted for the slide out "living area" without the dinette booth. The only times I've noticed the lack of those six inches is when I'm backing into a tight spot or storing it in my garage.....The standard model would not have fit, and that would have been a big problem.....

BTW, the factory width dimensions seem (at best) to approximate the width of the "box" but do not take into account the additional 4-6" that are gained by external fixtures and the awning......

TM - 2014 2417KS SilverTrail --- SOLD
Purple Line Enduro Caravan Movers
ArkyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2417, sport, standard