TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
bebotx

Default Extend-a-Stay Propane Kit

Has anyone added an Extend-a-Stay or Stay Awhile type propane kit to their TM? My goal is to stretch the time between propane refills by having the option to use a standard propane-exchange type tank. I occasionally run out of propane in the middle of a stay in my TM, even if I start out with full tanks. I use my TM as a "part-time" full-time residence when I stay at my daughter's for extended visits.

It's winter here in N. Texas and while I'm frugal with my TM propane usage I would like to avoid refilling after setting up.

Having to slide in the LR to access my horizontal tanks so I can take them for fills is cumbersome.

I would also like to be able to fuel a propane grill or other accessory off the TM propane tanks.

Regards,
Betty
1976 "Vintage" Munroe Crusader 11' TT in New Zealand
bebotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Hmmm! Interesting concept. If all the connections work for your setup, it should be great. My 12' exterior grill/stove hose would not work with the setup, as mine is a quick-connect. Be sure that your connections are all compatible with that setup, or you may spend another $100 on more fittings/hoses.

Good Luck!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Betty,

Why not remove both tanks and set them on the ground before you pull out the slide? That is what I do for extended stays. Make sure both tank valves are closed. Disconnect the propane lines going to each. Remove each tank and set it on the ground and re-attach the propane lines.

Some of the photos in this album may be helpful:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...php?albumid=98

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
bebotx

That's a great suggestion Dick. I had it in my mind that the pigtails were not long enough to do that, but am definitely going to give that a try. Using an accessory propane device like a grill is secondary to my need to easily take the horizontal tanks for refills. Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll let you know how it works.

Betty
Old 11-27-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodor47 View Post
Betty,

Why not remove both tanks and set them on the ground before you pull out the slide? That is what I do for extended stays. Make sure both tank valves are closed. Disconnect the propane lines going to each. Remove each tank and set it on the ground and re-attach the propane lines.

Some of the photos in this album may be helpful:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...php?albumid=98

Dick
Good pictures. Just a reminder, as the pictures show, horizontal tanks must be used in that orientation whether on or off the trailer. They are only vertical when filled. Running a horizontal tank in the vertical position can push liquid propane into the regulator, not a good thing.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #6
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Just remember that the tanks are high dollar items and, when used on the ground, can be liberated without the use of tools.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Tampajohn

I am removing my horizontal tanks completely and going to use vertical tanks which I will carry inside the TM when not in use or traveling and moving outside when on in the camper. I am going to run a 12 foot hose so I can run the refrigerator on propane when going down the road. I see no more danger in putting the tanks inside of the TM when traveling than them sitting on the tongue as the horizontal tanks do. I hate removing the horizontal tanks to refill them and can swap out the vertical tanks that we carry in the camper anywhere, home depot, Walmart, etc. Also it will remove some weight on the tongue and I do not have to look around for someone to fill them. I can just swap the vertical tanks.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
foxhaven0

DH carries one or two regular tanks along in the back of the TV and hooks them up to the hose instead of the horizontals and uses that. Just leaves the horizontals alone unless we run out. The tanks we have came from our old BBQs. This way we have plenty of gas and no problem filling tanks.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp View Post
Just remember that the tanks are high dollar items and, when used on the ground, can be liberated without the use of tools.

Good reminder Mike - I use a heavy duty bicycle cable lock to secure the thanks to the TM tongue frame.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
bebotx

Thanks to all who replied. My desire to do this is when I'm set up for an extended stay parked in my daughter's 5.5 acre yard so am not worried about the tanks walking off, but securing them is good advice. I'm not at the trailer now and I'm pretty sure I'm propane challenged, but I previously tried to hook one my pigtails to a regular vertical 20 lb. tank like the ones at the propane exchanges. The connections didn't mate up. Or at least that's how I remember it. Will be back up there this week and will try again as that would be a very easy solution.

I know the exchanges aren't the best value, but where my daughter lives it's a 30 minute drive to get a cheaper propane fill, vs. 5 mins to the closest Blue Rhino exchange.

Even if it just requires a single fitting to fit the pigtail to a standard vertical tank, that would make me a happy camper.

Betty