TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-30-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
BPWSWW51

Default questions about generators

What size of a generator do I need to run eberything on my trailmanor. Also what about the difference between propane and gas, and which is the most efficent and easiest to maintain. What brands do the best? Any information anyone can give me will be appreciated. Thanks Bev
Old 06-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
rumbleweed

There is no one best solution, There are a lot of threads on this site,search for generators. You need to define what you mean by everything. If you want to run everything you will need a very large generator but if you want to alternately use major appliances, you have several options. Check your manual as it lists the consumption for the appliances. You will not want to run the AC microwave and hot water heater at the same time. Lots of people use 2 honda 2000's as they will run the AC OR water heater. They are light enough for one person to move around and if you don't need the full 4000 watts, you can just use one. Others use one 3000W or 3600W model, but they are heavy and will limit what you can rn with the AC. Propane is nice, but you will need to carry another decent size tank just for the Propane. You also need to consider where you will be using the generator. If it is in an established campground you need to find something quiet not a construction generator.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPWSWW51 View Post
What size of a generator do I need to run eberything on my trailmanor. Also what about the difference between propane and gas, and which is the most efficent and easiest to maintain. What brands do the best? Any information anyone can give me will be appreciated. Thanks Bev
I have the Honda EU2000 generator. It runs on gasoline, and is reasonably quiet, and light weight. It will run everything on my TM except the air conditioner. Others apparently are able to run their ACs, with this generator, especially at lower altitudes.

To run my AC, I'd need either two EU2000 generators running parallel, which to me is cost prohibitive (I think I paid about $800 for it a few years ago), or the larger Honda EU3000 which is even more expensive, and quite a bit heavier. There are also other brands available, which I don't have experience with, I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts.

PS: There is a gas to propane conversion kit available for the Honda generators, and I think some forum members have done this conversion.

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

It makes a big difference what year/model your TM is and whether you have a roof mounted AC or side mounted AC.

I have a '98 2720 with a side mounted (10,000BTU) AC unit. My Honda EU2000I generator runs the AC without any strain. However, I cannot run the coffee pot or microwave oven at the same time.

TMs with roof mounted AC units will need something a little bigger than a 2000W generator. The roof mounted units take a lot of amps.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
PopBeavers

I can start my roof a/c with a single Honda 2000, at sea level. It will not run at 4,000 feet. It will not restart unless I let it fully cool down.

A Yamaha 2400 is a little bigger, but still marginal.

To reliably run the roof a/c you nee at least 2800 watts.

When the day comes that I want to run my a/c on generators I will add a second Honda 2000. I can barely lift the Yamaha 2400 with the double handle, and I ain't getting any younger.

I have a small microwave that I can run on my generator.

I never run the water heater on the generator.

Except for the microwave, I only use the generator to charge the batteries. 1000 watts would be enough for that.

I also never make coffee on the generator, and we do not have a toaster, toaster oven, electric coffee pot, electric skillet, etc. I run everything I can on propane.