TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-09-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default Bike Rack Question

After much research, just bought a Yakima Kingpin 4 bike rack to use on the rear of our tv and tahe rear of our TM. Yakima's instructions say to not use the rack on campers, travel trailers or motor homes. Have any of you used this rack on your TM successfully? Should I expect problems if I use it on the rear TM bumper hitch?

Thanks

WG
WildWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

We carried two mountain bikes (on a 4 bike carrier) on the back of our TM for about a year. During that time we spent 3 months on the road and towed over 9,000 miles. Here is a link to the thread with more information including how we dealt with the bike rack location.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ight=bike+rack
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
PopBeavers

I don't carry any bikes on the back, but since DS is a mountain bike racer I have spent years checking out all the other guys bikes on the road.

In many situations the bikes bounce and sway a lot more than you might realize. Therefore, if you decide to carry bikes back there I recommend that you have someone follow you once so you get a first hand report of what happens on the bounces. Sometimes a few bungee cords can be used to stabilize things.

Be aware that the factory hitch receiver is very likely limite to 100 pounds for both the rack and the cargo. A downhill triple clamp bike is around 45 pounds. Other bikes weigh a lot less. Also, I would not be comfortable with a $5,000.00 racing bike back where I can not see it.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:58 AM   #4
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Bike Carrier

I didn't want to buy a rack to support our mountain bikes while being carried in the pickup. Instead, I bought some threaded rods, nuts and washers at the hardware store. I added some wooden blocks to an inexpensive "load lock bar" I bought at Harbor Freight. Both bikes have "Quick Release" front wheels which makes it a little easier to attach the front forks to the carrier.

Anyway, if we don't have to carry too many other things in the pickup, I can load two bikes and still have room for a cooler, tool boxes, and other stuff.

The home made carrier works well, and the price was right!

Pix attached.
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
camp2canoe

I've weighed in on this before, but if you have a TV which will accomodate one, a front hitch receiver is a wonderful addition. Not only is it helpful for intricate manuevering of your TM (or whatever) in particularly tight quarters, or when moving the TM without a spotter, but it is a great way to carry bicycles. The weight of bikes and the carrier is never an issue on the front. I particularly like being able to see the bikes while driving so that if something begins to come loose, you are aware of it. Over the years I have both lost a bike off of a roof rack and backed just a little too close to something with a bike on a rear bumper carrier. Lastly, Yakima and others make boat carriers which fit a 2" receiver and can be used equally well on the front of your TV. We have a friend who tows a 5th wheel and the front hitch carrier allows him to carry a kayak (as well as a bike) without interfering with his fifth wheel hitch. - Camp2Canoe
Old 05-13-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
all4camping

Default bike rack question

I just purchased a 2006 TM2619 and already have a 4 bike 2" receiver rack. I modified the rack to accomodate 2 bikes with some of the "water noodle" foam between each. It sounds like maybe I could carry the bikes on the front with the carier I already own. I've been craming them into the back of my 2003 explorer sport when I pulled my previous camper - 2005 viking epic1906 to keep them off the tongue. The front position would be a lot easier and not add any weight to the tongue - am I thinking along the right lines? AND when I have my brake controller installed (the same folks that installed my receiver/hitch) can a front receiver be installed at the same time? I'll call the truck/trailer business that I have the appt with for the elec brake next week to ask. I really want some feedback from the forum folks. I have gotten some wonderful advice and tips here. I found the dealer to transport the trailer from the seller and perform an inspection that will enable me to get a warranty from a member here on the forum. My 2006 TM2619 is a sale from a divorce and has never been opened. I paid $18,600 for the trailer, wgt.dist hitch, aircondit, swing hitch and other options/accessories. I hope you other TM folks will agree I got a good deal on the sale price. I REALLY looked around. With the money I saved on the purchase I will be able to pay McDonough $255 for the transport, $265 for the inspection and new owner orientation and $199 for my elec brake work.
anyway, I'm rambling. . . . I'll go for now.

Dona Jo
TM '06 2619
TV '03 Explorer Sport,v6,2wd,:corkysm60
all4camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Aftermarket front mount hitches are largely bolt-on affairs, and can be added at any time. Go to any hitch supplier web site, and rummage around for front mounted hitches. For example

http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/fron...mount_main.htm

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote