TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
Silverdale Manor

Post How to fill a hot water tank? & ck to see if full?

Ok so as you can tell we are new at this...have a new to us 1999 TM.... I keep seeing everywhere including the manual to make sure there is water in the hot water tank before lighting....how do we fill it? and how do we check to see the water level? Help pls oh Wise Members
Old 05-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Do you have a fill location on the exterior of your TM? Usually there are two...one is to fill your water tank with and the other is considered the city water line. When you turn on a hose to the city fill .....it will not fill up your tank but.... you do have water available (on demand through the hose you hooked up. Go inside and turn on all the water...both hot and cold in the tub the bathroom sink and in the kitchen sink. When the hot water stops sputtering in all those faucets your hot water tank is full.

Usually the hot water tank is under the kitchen sink. I suppose it would be there for a 1999 TM as well.

What model TM do you have?

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
MisterP

On the "drivers side" of the Trailmanor on the lower shell you will see two connections, one above the other. The top one has a screw on cap. This is the fill port for adding water to the onboard fresh water tank. This is used when you are "boondocking", or using the trailer without being connected to a campground or home water connection. You get pressure by flipping on the water pump switch on the inside of the trailer (ours is on a small panel just below the kitchen sink).

The other connection below the fill port has a female hose connection, and should have a rubber cap that fits in the connection to keep dirt out. If you have a fresh water supply such as in a campground you can connect a water hose to this connection for trailer water. This connection supplies water pressure to the trailer, so you don't turn on the water pump switch inside the trailer when connected to a fresh water line.

Before using your water system, it is recommended to add chlorine bleach to your water tank and water hose you intend to use, and then fill the system by running faucets until you smell bleach coming out. This includes running hot water faucets as described above until all the air is purged. Then let the bleach sit in all the lines for a while. Flush all the lines well and the system should be ready for use. If you are going to flush the trailer water tank, then add a couple of cups of bleach to the tank, fill the tank and use that water to sterilize your plumbing. Then all you need to do is add some bleach to the water hose you plan to use, and flush it out.

There is no visual level indication on the hot water tank. If you run hot water faucets until all the air is purged out, the tank will be full.

Do a search for draining the trailer for winter freeze protection, if that is an issue where you live. That is something you need to know when the summer season is over. Edit - just checked your post, and see you are in Tampa. It can freeze there, so plan to drain the trailer during winter months.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
MisterP

Also pay the $12 per year (or less for multi-year membership) and become a site sponsor. You will have access to parts of the site you currently cannot see. Best money you will spend after buying your TM.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
rumbleweed

Second joining the forum. It will save you $12.00 in a week or so.

To simply answer your question. Connect to city water or fill your water tank which ever you choose. Turn on pump under sink ( only if using water tank) Open the Hot water tap in the sink and keep it open until you have a steady stream of water from the faucet. Shut it off. The Hot water tank is now full.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Silverdale Manor

Default Thank You

Thx O Wise fellow campers...big help. And yes I am planning to join...will do when I have more than a few seconds to sit at the computer. Again thx.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Lightbulb No splash & Sputter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdale Manor View Post
Ok so as you can tell we are new at this...have a new to us 1999 TM.... I keep seeing everywhere including the manual to make sure there is water in the hot water tank before lighting....how do we fill it? and how do we check to see the water level? Help pls oh Wise Members
Hi All,

I have been doing my water fill a bit differently for quite some time now and never remember to mention my method! We are preparing for a trip to the Keys next week and want good conditioned & filtered water to start with! I start by shutting all interior faucets and exterior drain valves except the far rear valve! Connect the hose and fill till water and air flush from the valve! It is now purged and free of dirt and sediment! Open the sink faucets one at a time and experience a steady stream with no mess to wipe down! It prevents trash from migrating to the screens that cause loss of pressure and blockage!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

To make sure it is full, I open the pressure relief valve on the hot water heater (outside, behind the access door) and make sure water comes out.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
rumbleweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmiller3 View Post
To make sure it is full, I open the pressure relief valve on the hot water heater (outside, behind the access door) and make sure water comes out.
Bill

That certainly will insure it is full if you are trying to pack as much water in as possible, but the element is toward the bottom and even a 3/4 full tank should be more than enough to keep the element from burning out. The only down side, is that if you fill it from high pressure (with regulator) shore source and have a tight system, the air in the tank could expand and increase the pressure and cause a small leak.

Tags
water heater