TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-22-2004, 08:37 AM   #1
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default 3023 to be in Trailer Life Magazine

I was reading the latest edition of Trailer Life, and in the coming soon section it says they will feature the TrailManor 30 ft. model. Keep an eye out for the January Edition.
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 06:47 PM   #2
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default TrailManor 30' test in Trailer Life

Larry,

The last time that TrailManor was tested by Trailer Life was in the January 1996 issue. If they do the test in January 2005, it will be exactly 9 years since the last test.The cover page of Trailer Life in January 1996 had a 3023 TM pulled by an Isuzu Rodeo. The 3023 TrailManor received a nice write up by Chuck Campbell. The 3023 back then had the one couch with the 2 chairs & the TV cabinet/dresser across from the couch. It should be interesting to see what they have to say about the 2005 TrailManor since numerous changes and improvements have been made since the last test way back in 1996. I still have the January 1996 issue in my TrailManor library. The last test before this one was in June 1984 of the largest TM 21M (2518). It was one year after the first TrailManor was first introduced. Back in 1984 TM had 3 models: 16, 18, and a 21. The 21M as tested had a retail price of $13,670.00. Hard to believe!!! I still have a copy of that issue. The test was done at the old TM factory & in a campground near by. If you really want to see changes, you should compare the 1984 & 1996 tests. I can't wait until the January issue comes out.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:36 PM   #3
ess2
Site Sponsor

Smile TM in Trailer Life

Maybe I should compare notes with them. I left Al gulf coast on my first & only trip in my new 3023 to Alaska on July 1 & returned Sept 12 just in time to put TM in barn before Ivan struck! TM never got a drop of water on it but pecan orchard and house roof really got it!!! As for trip it was a dream with no problems on TM or Tundra V8 / with tow package.
ess2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:28 PM   #4
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default Alaska Trip

Besides the forum, you might want to send it to the Trailblazers' Tiding newsletter. It sure would make for good reading. I know that they are always looking for articles. A trip like that sure would be interesting to hear about. Just go on to www.tmtrailblazers.org for contact info.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:10 PM   #5
ess2
Site Sponsor

Smile Trip to Alaska

Leon & Bob: Thanks for interest & suggestions. I'll try to find time somehow. I'm still loaded by work related to hurricane Ivan ( roof for house & trees down everywhere) .Emmett
ess2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:59 PM   #6
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Thumbs up Wow. TM made the cover of Trailer Life

Got my issue yesterday. IMHO,a pretty decent story. Writer is clearly used to motorhomes...referred to the TM at one point as being a "coach". Nice description of the setup process and discussion of the interior room and amenities. No mention of the recirculating toilet.

Only thing that really caught my attention was his use/referral to the door as being a "dutch door". One picture shows the trailer set up with lower door closed and upper door wide open. I haven't been around many TMs but I've never seen anyone use the door in that fashion. Out of curiousity how many folks here do use it as a "dutch door" after the trailer is all set up?

I did get a kick of out of their pairing a TM with a relatively high power SUV and describing the result as providing "spirited towing". Now that I've done some well chosen power enhancing mods to my truck (no slouch in the power department to begin with), I can identify with that "spirited" part.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 06:57 PM   #7
CastleRockCamper

We've used ours as a dutch door sometimes in the morning, while cooking breakfast. I've been considering the screen door that has been mentioned on the board.

Rocky Mountain Ray,
Just curious with all the modifications to your Tundra, what is your mpg? Nice addition on the Transmission gauge, did you use a Piller?
Moderator Note: The reply to this question and subsequent posts discussing modifying (regearing) a tow vehicle were split into a new thread in the Towing Rigs forum. Reason: The discussion of tow vehicle mods for more torque had become a divergent subject within this thread. RMR
CastleRockCamper
Old 12-21-2004, 09:26 PM   #8
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Where could I purchase one of these issues? I called the local RV place in Salinas, but they don't carry that magazine. Do you think our local KOA might have one?

Does Camping World carry this magazine? They have their fold up 9 x 12 patio mats on sale for $40 so am thinking about going over to San Martin to do some shopping. I'm tired of cleaning out our fake grass carpet that we bought at Home Depot, what a pain. It's really hard to get redwood debris out of those tiny bristles. I'm also thinking about buying some of those step wrapping mats for the fold-out stairs. I wish Santa would bring me a big fat gift certificate to Camping World, I could have so much fun there!!

We have used our door as a "dutch door" a couple of times, but not regularly. Usually we want the door completely open, or completely closed. If you had small children or pets it might be handy to use it that way, as you could get ventilation but keep them in.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:12 PM   #9
hal

When we camp during the warmer days, one of the first things we do is to insall a screen door that my wife and I designed. The top of the dutch door is swung open an attached to the outside wall. The frame of the screen is plugged into the bottom door. What a pleasure it is to have fresh air that comes through the huge opening. Bugs can't get in and our cat can't get out.

Hal
Old 12-22-2004, 07:38 AM   #10
Simon3xUD

Default Add-ons make TM dog friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D
Does Camping World carry this magazine? They have their fold up 9 x 12 patio mats on sale for $40 so am thinking about going over to San Martin to do some shopping.
You may get a better deal by shopping online at pet-supply websites. We call them "x-pen mats" and use them under our canopy at agility trials. I would warn you though that the larger mats are rather bulky - you may want to consider multiple smaller ones. I have found mats at Wally World that I think are about 4' x 6' and fold up into a nice little package (complete with carrying handles ) for $10.

Quote:
I'm also thinking about buying some of those step wrapping mats for the fold-out stairs.
That was one of the first things I bought for our TM. The "drain holes" on the steps are just the right size for dog toes to get caught in and a dog could suffer a real injury in the struggle to get free. The only problem is the covers are "fake grass" so you'd have the same difficulties getting them clean.

Quote:
We have used our door as a "dutch door" a couple of times, but not regularly. Usually we want the door completely open, or completely closed. If you had small children or pets it might be handy to use it that way, as you could get ventilation but keep them in.
When it's warm enough, we always use the dutch door to keep the dogs in and bugs out . We had a screen made based on photos I'd seen here - overlapping strips of screening - that works really well.