TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2004, 01:31 PM   #1
jbeletti
Jim

Default Need recommendations on campgrounds in Gatlinburg, TN area

Hi all,

For a Labor Day weekend trip, we're thinking about heading out to the Gatlinburg, TN area of the Smokey Mountains. I am not familiar at all with the area, but knowing we can't pull our TM3023 with our Jeep Liberty into the Rockies, we figured perhaps the Smokies would work out for us.

I poked around just a teeny bit online so far and found many campgrounds in the Gatlinburg, TN area. Can anyone recommend a campground?

We're not looking for a family campground per sé as we're not traveling with children. We'll have Ruby the Yorkie only. So we do need a place that is pet-friendly.

We like to hang out and relax at the campground, but having traveled 600 miles, we'll want to take day trips to see the sights and do some hiking and biking as well.

Thanks for any input as we want to nail something down by the end of this weekend and get it booked.

Jim
jbeletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:06 AM   #2
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Need recommendations on campgrounds in Gatlinburg, TN area

The Trailblazers had their Jubilee rally in Gatlinburg last year. We stayed at Holly Haven Rv Park in Pigeon Forge. It was a nice park.

You can check out some pictures at:

http://home.comcast.net/~trailmanor/jub2003/camp.htm
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:33 PM   #3
jbeletti
Jim

Hi Rick,

Thank you for the recommendation and the pictures. They were great. It's really interesting to see so many Trailmanors at one place other than an RV dealer lot! We plan to attend the Charter Chapter Rally in Rockford, IL this year - so we'll get to experience the gem of seeing a sea of TMs and learning a lot from the experienced bunch.

At this time, we are planning to take day trips to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and surrounding area and are thinking of staying in Gatlinburg, across from the the park entrance. Just trying to save on the time it would take to travel from Pigeon Forge and pass through Gatlinburg. While it may be exaggerated, I've read that it can take quite a while to get through the town of Gatlinburg. With this being a holiday weekend (Labor Day holiday), I'm guessing the town could be maxed.

Right now, just from online searches, I am considering these campgrounds (in no order of preference):

- Dudley Creek RV Resort
- Twin Creek RV Resort
- Crazy Horse Campground
- Camping in the Smokies RV Park
- Arrow Creek Campground

If anyone can recommend any of these locations, your input will be much appreciated.

Rick, thanks again for your input on the Pigeon Forge location. If we decide to stay that direction, your review will come in handy.

Jim
Old 04-23-2004, 07:45 AM   #4
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

The traffic in Gatlinburg is not exaggerated. When we arrived in Pigeon Forge heading for the campground. It took us 30 minutes to go about five miles.
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:25 AM   #5
EPICSDUDE

Gatlinburg is nice for shopping and dining out, Pigeon Forge is great entertainment as well at shopping(Outlet malls). If you are looking for some peace a quiet, check out Townsend TN. It is just over the mountain from Pigeon Forge and about 20 miles to Gatlinburg through the National Park. A couple of campgrounds I have used are Tremont Hills Campground www.tremontcamp.com and Littele River Village Campground www.littlerivervillage.com. Both of these campgrounds next to each other just outside the entrace to Cades Cove(which is a must see if you go to the Smokies).

Hope this helps!
I Love the Smokies!

Rocky
Old 04-25-2004, 03:57 PM   #6
jbeletti
Jim

Rocky,

Thank you for the recommendations. After researching all the Gatlinburg campgrounds, we looked at the 2 you mentioned and we ended up booking site 7 at Tremont Hills Campground for 6 days around the Labor Day weekend.

If you get a chance (no hurry), could you drop me a pm or email with a few 'must sees'?

Thanks again and take care,

Jim
Old 04-25-2004, 06:55 PM   #7
EPICSDUDE

Jim,

I think you will enjoy the Smokie Mountains tremendously!

Things to do while visiting the Townsend/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area.

Townsend: Cade’s Cove. This is a motorized self guided tour through the Cade’s Cove valley, with lots of rustic cabins, churches, cemeteries, grist mills. Go early in the morning if you want to ride your bikes. It is about 12 miles for the entire loop. Go early or late in the evenings if you want to see lots of wildlife(mostly deer and sometimes black bear).
Cade’s Cove also has horse back rides through the park as well.

Pigeon Forge:

Dollywood: Even if you don’t have kids, the shows and crafts are great.

Applebarn: This is a wonderful place to visit for breakfast for some great homemade fried apple pies with homemade ice cream on top. They make everything they sell here, candy, fried apple pies, winery, ice cream parlor. This is located on the line between Pigeon Forge and Sevierville.

Numerous outlet malls for shopping.

Gatlinburg:
Downtown Gatlinburg is a great experience. Just walking the sidewalks and window shopping and just people watching.

Roaring Fork Motor trail. This is a motorized trail through the mountains above Gatlinburg. This is as pretty as anywhere in the National Park, and it is located within a mile of downtown.

The National Park: You could spend several days just riding in the park, not to mention the numerous nature trails to view waterfalls.

Clingman’s Dome: If you are up to some strenuous walking, Check out the Clingman's Dome. You can drive almost all the way to the top, then you can walk the rest of the way to the observation tower, about ½ mile.

I hope this helps. Hope this does not sound like a Chamber of Commerce brochure! This is just some of our favorite things to do!!!!!

Rocky

Old 04-26-2004, 07:29 AM   #8
jbeletti
Jim

Rocky,

Wow! Thank you for the detail. This is the sort of thing we're looking for (detail on what is really interesting).

Cade's Cove and Clingman's Dome is on our list for sure. I appreciate the bike/hike tips too. We will have our bikes on the trip and once we setup camp, I'll move the bike rack from the TM to the Jeep so we'll have our bikes with us for each day-trip and if opportunity presents, we'll be ready.

I really look forward to the nature trails and the waterfalls. While I am not expert at it, I love to take outdoor pictures of such beauty. It's always nice to sit back and relax at home in the winter near the fireplace and start up a slideshow on the PC, displayed on the big-screen TV of vacations/trips we've taken. And then to share with others.

Take care,

Jim