TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
Skyjim73

Default What make/model of converter is going into new TMs?

Does anybody know the make/model of converter I can expect to find installed in a brand new TM 2922KB or 3124KB?

Want to find out if they have gone to a proper smart 3 stage setup in the battery charger or if I'm going to have to customize or upgrade to get fairly quick bulk charging.

I've been spoiled in my old rig with 4 golf cart batts and a 2000 watt Heart inverter with a 3 stage 100 amp DC charger with manual equalizing. I've learned that I don't really need a high capacity inverter and with the TM I'll stick to a pair of 6V batts on the tongue, but i definitely prefer 50-60 amps at around 14.4 volts in a smart charger. I hope ideally that TM is already installing something like the Progressive Dynamics Intelli-power line, but that is probably hopelessly optimistic...

Thanks for any info...

Jim
3124KB delivered 5/2015 - early unit from Nebraska. TM installed Dometic compressor fridge, lower battery rails, 4AWG batt cable, and PD converter during build. Custom RV installed cassette toilet, two 260 AH 6V batts, 2 UniSolar 64 solar panels, Morningstar MPPT controller/meter.

Tow vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman CC 4x4 3.0 diesel.
Skyjim73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

The WFCO in my '06 is a three stage charger with Bulk, Absoption, and Float stages. The Float seems to be at 13.25vdc which is just about perfect for both wet cell and AGM.

Whadayawant ?

ps given a choice I'd vote for a cassette toilete with dump and a compressor (2 way) fridge.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
Skyjim73

Yep, looks like that is the way we are going.
3124KB delivered 5/2015 - early unit from Nebraska. TM installed Dometic compressor fridge, lower battery rails, 4AWG batt cable, and PD converter during build. Custom RV installed cassette toilet, two 260 AH 6V batts, 2 UniSolar 64 solar panels, Morningstar MPPT controller/meter.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Cool The WFCO "guts" are not impressive.

Even though the WFCO is standard equipment on some fairly expensive trailers and 5th-wheels, both TMO's electrical experts (e.g., Bill), and somewhat qualified "amateurs" (e.g., me) are not impressed by the circuit layout, components, or behavior of the WFCO.

Some TMO people have replaced them (or, in particular, the Charger/Converter section) with better systems by Progressive Dynamics or PowerMax. Usually in response to a WFCO failure, but at least once (in my own case) as a preventative upgrade: to avoid ruining a vacation with a WFCO failure, and also to extend battery life. My PowerMax is built better, and the "Float" logic works correctly. The PD is probably even better than Powermax, and also offers a push-button "bulk mode" controller. (That's extremely useful, if you want to recharge your batteries from a Generator running for just an hour or two.)

WFCO's mainboard/daughterboard layout and components make it more prone to fail than the higher-quality replacements. One common point of failure is the main "power filter" capacitor: WFCO uses two small ones, each failure-prone and unable to share internal capacitance with the other, while PowerMax uses one BIG one (more than twice the size of each WFCO). WFCO's "daughter board" (the logic section) has about 3x more components than the PowerMax, with correspondingly higher MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures). In operation, WFCO's logic problem is a failure to reach Float stage. TM trailers seem to present enough "phantom loads" (e.g., the stereo system draws a tiny bit to remember it's presets, even when powered off) to prevent the WFCO from ever switching to "Float", and that issue can lead to cooked batteries.

A Thread, chock-full of information about this, is http://http://www.trailmanorowners.c...ad.php?t=14155. RIWight and Brulaz present their measurements and ideas, along with mine.

This is never a make-or-break decision in buying a TM, either new or used. It's an easy upgrade, especially if you replace just the Converter section (leaving the original WFCO fuse panel/power distribution section in place.) If you do it, the "best" place to purchase any of the upgraded replacements is bestconverter.com.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:18 AM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Our WFCO has never gone above 13.6 so I just carry a proper 3 stage charger for when we have shore power. This is rarely needed though for us. Our pair of Exide stowaways(210 aH) are good for 7 to 10 days before they reach 60% SOC.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Agree with one caveat: if I were to change the converter, I'd go for one that also had a 1000W 110vac inverter and a remote display. My exRV had one with 3 stage charger and was nice.

Something like these. I'd keep the distribution part of the WFCO and jsut swap out the charger part.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:39 AM   #7
Skyjim73

Thanks, everyone - I was afraid i would wind up having to swap the converter, and the Progressive Dynamics units were the ones i had my eye on - I'll want to be sure i get some equalization to keep the sulphates off the plates. After living 14 years with a terrific Heart interface Freedom 2000 inverter/100 amp charger fed by four 6V golf cart batts in my old Prowler, I know I'd never be content with a conventional converter that never gets my batteries to a decent bulk charge voltage or actually fully charges! Since I also learned that we really don't need big time AC capability away from shore power, I was pretty sure the combination of a pair of 6V Trojan T-145s, my two solar panels, our Honda Eu-2000, and a good 3 stage converter would handle our needs in the Trail Manor in any foreseeable circumstance. The minor AC loads we might want to run for electronics can be handled by a small sinewave inverter.

Going with the converter swap will be a lot cheaper than my original idea of a Magnum inverter/charger and the attendant rewiring. Anybody know what the charger amp rating was on their stock converter?

Going to the Pomona RV show tomorrow to place the deposit!

Jim

Old 10-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Rating is in the model number. Mine has a 55 amp DC rating (8955). I just use a seperate inverter if I need 120vac.

My old RV had a 600W microwave that was inside the Heart/Freedom 1000W capability, the TM Sharp is 980W microwave/1300W grill.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:02 AM   #9
Skyjim73

Thanks, Padgett! Went ahead and ordered today; may be getting the factory to put in a Progressive Dynamics power center instead of the WFCO.

Jim

Old 10-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #10
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Talking The panels (alone) might not be adequate...

for running the Fridge and your other loads in boondocking; but you've got the Honda available to "top it off" - and the PD has the push button "bulk mode" feature, to suck in the power which the EU2000 is putting out.

Your research was fantastic, and your "new build" option choices are almost exactly as I would choose if I were buying today. Great job!