TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Default Old stinky toilet problem new idea

My wife has a nose like a bloodhound. She can smell the chemicals in the toilet and doesn’t like it, so something will need to be done. I have found two modifications where people have added vents. One uses the fan and would put a strain on the batteries when dry camping so I am inclined to stay away from that.

http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/sh...nted+toilet%22

The other is a passive vent that Thetfrord used to sell, and although it appears to not be a 100% fix I thought it would be a good start.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3395

Unfortunately when I called Thetford they told me the vent is no longer available.(I was not totally convinced the guy I talked to knew what he was talking about as he tried to sell me a new toilet.) In looking at their site I found that the new Electra Magic toilets look like they have lids that seal when closed. I am wondering if anyone has a newer TM that can confirm this. If it is true I am hoping that maybe the design of the toilet itself has not changed and I can buy a new seat. If anyone can figure out if this is possible please post.

If it will not fit I am going to try and figure out a way to make the old seat so it seals when closed. I am thinking of using some kind of insulation strip around the bottom and between the seat and cover. If anyone has an idea what insulation might work or another method for making the seat seal please chime in. I do wonder what it might smell like when you open it after being sealed but I am thinking I could make a vent like they use to sell if it is a problem.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

You've got a couple of options.

1) What chemicals are you using? If you are using the Thetford AquaKem, i.e. the blue stuff, then that smell that irritates your throat when the chemicals are concentrated is coming from formaldehyde. The smell dissipates greatly when it is diluted. Trying using less and see how that works, or use a formaldehyde-free chemical -- Thetford makes one, can't remember the name for sure, but I want to say it's CampChem.

2) I personally do not smell the toilet when the lid is down. However, camping in hot climates increases volatility of the chemicals, so you're more prone to be offended in the summer vs. winter. But unfortunately, for reasons other than your current issue, the design of the Electra Magic has remained the same for 20-30 years -- there have been no changes that I have been aware of. But fortunately for you, the toilet in my 2000 TM already has a lid seal. It's just a small black seal that goes around the outer rim of the lid, side to front to side. I can't remember if it's in the back, but since I don't smell anything when the lid is down, and I can when it's up, I can only assume that it helps.

The lid seal I'm talking about is #4 here:
http://www.aaarv.net/electra_magiv_80.htm

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get certain parts for these toilets without buying a $200 kit that includes a bunch of other parts you don't need. But there are some places that are able to sell some of these parts individually, and I have had some luck with the above vendor. For others, I've had to order parts from a vendor in Europe, where most of these toilets are sold.

If you can't get the Thetford seal, just get some u-channel seal from McMaster and make your own. Cheap fix.

3) You can get some vent fans that run on a trickle of energy. The existing fans only draw about 0.5A, and I've seen comparable ones for twice the price ($15 instead of $7) that have better bearings, fins, etc. for computers that push comparable air and draw less -- maybe 0.25A. So even if you ran the thing 12 hrs/day, that's only 3Ah/day. For a 4-day trip, that's 12Ah. Whether that's significant depends on your battery setup and typical use habits, but I know it would not be significant for me, especially since putting in the LED lights.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
kokilo

There is a fan which is designed for holding tank ventilation called the Lil Stanker. It is around 49 dollars or so and is very quiet and consumes very little current (0.125 Amps) at low speed. I am working on a design which will be done as follows:
1 - Move the Thetford gauge from the right mounting hole on the top of the toilet to the hole on the left (they are identical). This allows venting from the right side hole and allows better pipe routing plus clears the flush switch from being blocked by the vent pipe.
2 - Use 1 1/2 inch ID abs pipe and vent the toilet out of former gauge hole. The pipe will pass through the side of the sink cabinet where the fan unit will be installed. It then routes out through the TM wall via the same type of battery vent fitting used for the grey water vent. From there it can be extended to the roof level if needed.
3 - Install the Lil Stanker fan switch on the sink cabinet beside the switch for the fan under the tub. 12v power can be shared by the fans.

This system has been used on GMC motorhomes equipped with Thetford recirculating toilets with great success. Low current draw means it can be run continuously to create negative air pressure at the toilet seat seal and the fan is inaudible.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...&postcount=143

http://www.lslproducts.com/IL-DSPage.html

I have the fan now and will post details and pics once I'm done.

Peter
Old 05-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

You might be right about mine already having a seal. We have only used it once so far and it is closed up in the garage now so I was unable to go look before the post. I just didn’t remember seeing that it sealed. I don’t smell anything myself but DF can. It seems odors are getting out somehow so it may be that the back is open.We will be taking it out soon again as my wife retires next week.

Peter this looks like just what I need. Please post pictures when you get it done. I know little about electricity so please include how you wired it. I think I am going to order one today.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

#145 04-28-2011, 05:34 PM
ELM-JLM
Site Sponsor Join Date: Dec 2010

Thetford Vent that works!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading all the threads on the Thetford I devised a portable vent for my toilet! Using the hole provided for the vent, I installed a PVC elbow. It exits through the wall to the outside. With a short piece of PVC pipe and additional fittings it makes a 90 degree turn to the roof top. A hose from an old carpet cleaner worked great for the riser. At the top I used a shortened attachment from the carpet cleaner that the hose will plug into! Best of all I found a Cyclone sewer vent at Camping World. It rotates 360 degrees with the wind!

To remove it is a snap! The top pulls out of a plastic clip then slides apart! I devised a plug for the hole through the wall so gasses won't enter the closed TrailManor while traveling. Also a small cover with a rubber gasket covers the plugged hole
Attached Thumbnails are in next post

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Attached Thumbnails

2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Nice mod, Earl.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
moaboy

What are you going to tell anyone who asks you what that is?
Perhaps you could go with something like "electronic, super duper anti- bug device" ...
anyway, impressive mod.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Question O P's gas

Motorhomes and all other trailers vent their gasses in essentially the same way! The Cyclone vent will shift with the wind and draw from the toilets innards! So far with it set up at home there is no oder what so ever! In two weeks the true test will come! We will be spending 5 days at Tomoka State Park in Ormand Beach and we use our toilet for everything!

2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Very NICE Earl! I love this mod!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote