TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #11
lnussbau

Good luck. I'm sure you'll enjoy your 2720SL -- we sure do.

Looking forward to any reports you care to share with us.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
Joseph

Default Working away from home . . .

Would you let us know how using the TM as you are going to works out? I was wondering how the TM would do as a temporary home away from home. Camping is one thing. But going to work everyday, coming home to the TM would be different. Thanks much and best of luck to you!
Old 09-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #13
Fdxflyer

Reference the tub/shower area... I had a vent cut in from the "hallway" to the area under the tub to allow warm air to flow in. Also, and probably more importantly, keep your bathroom door open except when it's being used, particularly at night.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

FDXFlyer -

Sounds like a good solution. Did you also cover up the outside of the vent under the tub, to reduce cold air infiltration?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #15
Alrhall

Last winter I spent 3 weeks Charlotte SC and it went down to 17 deg. The only freeze up I had was in the supply hose. I wrapped pipe insulation around it and felt insulation around the little drains. I did not let the gray tank fill up.
I assumed that everything was well insulated. But my drains and water lines under the tub were un-insinuated. All of the insulation was removed to make the channel they lay in. See my gray water tank replacement posts for more pictures.
Now, after having spent a few weekends under the tub, I understand how I survived.
Here is what I think saved me in Charlotte.
1. I bought 2 electric heaters. Electricity in included in the rent and a heater costs about the same as one tank of gas. See my post about a second breaker for the hidden outlet behind the stove.
2. I ran one heater on low, all of the time.
3. I left the bathroom vent fan on. I didn’t know where it was, but I like to keep the toilet well vented.
Actually the fan is in the side of the tub next to the toilet. It exhausts past all of those un-insulated pipes and keeps them warm.
As you can see in the attached, my pipes now have insulation.
Next time I am in the cold world, I will fill most of the hole where the drain trap is with fiberglass. I also intend to buy the external cover that the newer TMs have.

Note!
It is not as hard to remove a pre-2007 tub as I made it. Actually it is about a 30 minute job. More on that later.

Al
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Under the Tub Before lr.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	3010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Under the Tub After lr.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	3011  
Old 10-10-2008, 07:04 AM   #16
camp2canoe

If anyone is doing a lot of cold weather camping, you might check out www.nofreezewaterhose.com. They aren't cheap, but might be worthwhile if you do a lot of winter camping. - camp2canoe
Old 10-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #17
101kreasons

one thing I do when cold weather camping is to use silver bubble wrap insultation on the windows. I go a 50' by 4' roll from Home depot and cut pieces that fit the windows using the curtains to hold them in place. I also put this stuff on the bottom of the beds (2720). I also use air mattresses(coleman's from Wal-Mart) with electric bed pads (Wal-mart). I use a 1500 watt ceramic heater when shorelined.

I also use the window wraps in hot weather to keep cool.