TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
TREXHUNTERS
Site Sponsor

Default Trimetric Install - Location for shunt and Meter

Hi, I'm currently trying to install the Trimetric Battery Monitor on our 3124kb and have a couple of questions for those of you that have already done it.

(1) Meter location:
- One choice for me is to the left of the electrical outlet which is on the sofa side of the refrig.. My question: has anyone used this location? I'm not sure if I can run a wire past the outlet box. I can't install below the outlets as some others have as our TM sofa has an arm rest so there's no room below the outlet.
- The other choice is next to the existing gauge below the sink. I would have to cut of the existing mounting tabs on the TriM. meter but I could mount it from the inside of the box. The only way I see to run the wires is through the refrig. compartment. and then through a hole to be drilled between the refrig. compt. and sink compt.

Just trying to get as much info. as possible before drilling holes.

(2) Shunt location
- I've seen that some of you have mounted your shunts on the back of the battery box (if your batteries are in the front battery tray) which is exposed. Has this worked out okay? Has anyone tried other options? I have the dual end to end 6v battery box from Allied that some of you have also used. I'm a little skittish about leaving it exposed.

Anyway, any experiences would be helpful,

thanks,
bruce

2008 3124KB,1kw Honda gen.
2021 Toyota Tundra DC, 4WD
TREXHUNTERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Riwright
TrailManor Master

My layout is different than yours so it's hard to offer specific comments.

If you can, put the Trimetric where you can see it from your normal seating position. Being able to keep an eye on the amps coming in and going out is very helpful in getting a sense of how your system is operating. Mine sits at the end of the kitchen counter right next to my recliner. I can reach it which is nice.

It sounds like you are routing the wires inside the trailer. I went under the trailer. It wasn't that hard. You drill a hole and seal it with silicon after the wire is through. I used the ribbed plastic split tubing to protect the wire from road debris. My batteries are in the rear compartment so routing inside the trailer wasn't an option.

I wouldn't leave the shunt exposed, it could corrode, or the wires that run to it could get damaged. Mine sits inside of one of those plastic electrical junction boxes very close to the negative battery terminal. The junction boxes are cheap and can be very handy for this type of thing.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
moaboy

I mounted my Clipper under the sink, works fine.
I mounted my shunt as you said on the battery box, this also has works fine.
I ran my wires under the trailer along the propane line.
However, the other options you identify would also work I think.
Good luck.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
TREXHUNTERS
Site Sponsor

Default Installation

I settled on mounting the meter next to the couch to the left of the AC outlet. It was pretty easy to get the wire bundle to this location through the refrig. access panels. You do have to pull the AC outlet box and the TV antenna outlet boxes out.

I mounted the shunt on top of one of the batteries via velcro. I may move it after my upcoming trip but it seems to work well now.

Unfortunately, the output data has already pointed out a couple of problems.
(1) I have a 0.5v drop between the converter/charger and the battery. Too much for my liking.

(2) I'm only getting 4A from the alternator on my truck at idle with no electronics on in the truck. Even at a higher RPM I won't have enough to power the refrig. unless I'm missing something. I so didn't want to re-wire my truck.

bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6263124.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	8654   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6263127.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	8655  

Old 06-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREXHUNTERS View Post
(2) I'm only getting 4A from the alternator on my truck at idle with no electronics on in the truck. Even at a higher RPM I won't have enough to power the refrig. unless I'm missing something. I so didn't want to re-wire my truck.
Nice install Bruce.

When you say you are only getting 4 amps from your alternator I assume you are meaning charging the batteries? So, what was the condition of batteries? If they were they already almost fully charged that might be OK.

Also, did you have anything else on in the TM? Was the refrigerator or any lights on? If they were and you still had 4 amps charging the batteries I'd say you might be OK.

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
TREXHUNTERS
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Wire View Post
Nice install Bruce.

When you say you are only getting 4 amps from your alternator I assume you are meaning charging the batteries? So, what was the condition of batteries? If they were they already almost fully charged that might be OK.

Also, did you have anything else on in the TM? Was the refrigerator or any lights on? If they were and you still had 4 amps charging the batteries I'd say you might be OK.

Keith
I had nothing else on at the time and yes they are probably close to charged. The puzzling thing was that I turned on the frig. also and I got -4A so I was assuming 4A from Truck, 4A from TM bats. for approx. 8A total. I'm going to redo the test though as I was futzing around with the meter.

Hopefully I screwed something up when I did the test.

bruce

Old 06-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

I'd say you are pretty much correct with your readings. The wire dia. and length in the TV and the TM, plus the contact resistance in the TV/TM plug will give you enough voltage drop to cause what you see. The refrig pulls about 8 amps.

I've increased the wire size in my TV to #10 but I still get a gradual drain of my battery when I travel with the Refrig on DC. The battery state of charge will drop 10 to 15 % during a 400 mile trip.

The voltage drop in a #14 wire at 4 amps is about 0.02 volts per foot. The drop across my TM/TV connector as about 0.2 volts at 4 amps. If your total TV/TM wire length is 15 ft, your total voltage drop may be = (15 x 0.02) + 0.2 = 0.5 volts. I've attached a voltage drop calculator spread sheet that you may find useful.

My shunt installation is in the rear storage compartment of my 3326 (where the battery is). I also installed my Trimetric meter on a 20 ft cord so I could move it around for best viewing. I run it out the door and mount it on the step structure when closed so I can watch it periodically while traveling.

I'll post some pictures later this week when I get to the storage yard.

Jerry

Pictures added 6/30/13
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trimetric meter travel location 1.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	8698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trimetric meter travel location 2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	8699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trimetric meter travel location 3.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	8700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trimetric meter travel location 4.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	8701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trimetric meter travel location 5.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	8702  

Name:	Trimetric meter random location.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	8703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trimetric shunt and battery box.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	8704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trimetric shunt and battery box 1.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	8705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trimetric shunt and connections.jpg
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	8706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trimetric cable and rear shell lite switch.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	8707  

Attached Files
File Type: xls Voltage Drop CalculatorExtended.xls (18.0 KB, 32 views)
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
Riwright
TrailManor Master

Very nice install!
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote