TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
SoCalDan

Lightbulb TM Rental Marketplace (by/from: Current TM Owners)

Hey TM Owners,

Grew up pop-up trailer camping on the East Coast with my folks and six younger siblings; we saw the whole Eastern seaboard this way and I think it's one of the reasons we're all quite close as adults. Had a 2619 in the past and have a real affinity for TM's. Posting this to get a sense as to whether or not current TM owners would be interested in having their TM's rented (gently, in theory, see below) some of the time that they're not being used, and would appreciate your thoughts. A quick pencil to paper (spreadsheet actually), suggests that an owner could get an incremental $500+/mo., if the idea catches on, without the TM owner being responsible for demos, set up, clean up, etc.

This would be a TM Only Rental Business (TMORB), with a few twists (and a catchy rather than TMORB working name; please see some goofy ideas at the very bottom of this post). Again, your thoughts, including on the names, would be appreciated.

The concept and twists:
- putting private TM's to use and providing regular income to TM owners who opt in
- rentals are intended primarily for short term driveway use (e.g., 1-4 nights) to stay inside of many zoning boundaries
- TM's would be delivered and set up by TMORB (ease of wear and tear)
- likely include some basic amenities (e.g., lawn chairs, fruit plate, etc.)
- likely include a sheet and towel service
- might also consider zip on cushion wraps to cut down on wear and stains
- renters would be required to provide an insurance binder as though they were renting it to tow it
- position the TM's as an alternative to hotels for visiting in-laws, friends & family or brief work guests (e.g., weekend brainstorming/planning session).
- would require a damage deposit ($300-$500) and a cleaning fee $50 (with the option to charge more from the security deposit at $35/hour based on how the TM is returned)
- full security deposit would be forfeited in the event of smoking being evidenced or pet-related evidence
- in addition, a portion of each rental fee would be set aside for maintenance and a small self-insurance stipend would be set aside for the occasional bigger ticket issues
- a rental/cleaning/maintenance log would be provided on-line
- availability would be tracked via on-line calendaring.

It's feasible that the monthly income could be more - though it'd likely be less initially. The idea is to start slow and test the waters.

So, if you've read this far and you're game to respond, please provide any thoughts (e.g., we'd only do it if we made $___/mo., did you consider _______, etc.) in addition to indicating which category you fall into:

- not a chance (and why)
- I'm gonna do this myself - why do I need you TMORB??
- maybe (and why)
- cautiously interested
- interested
- love it and would like to be a beta!!

I'm located in Orange County in Southern CA, but see this as something which could grow to other parts. I'm happy to speak with anyone about this idea off-line, in addition to on this thread.

Thank you for the Forum and any thoughts you may have. Note: it's only because my focus is on TM's (due to the ease of set-up, comfortable accommodations and unique design), that I'd broach a quasi-business idea here - certainly no offense intended.

Sincerely,

Dan

Potential Names (or maybe a fun graphic that includes multiple names)
Driveway Mansion
In-Laws Out!
Hotel at Home
Stay With Us (Kind of)
Away Staycation
Stay Here/Away

Tags
tm owners rent their tm, tm rental concept, would you rent your tm?