TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
whitegs

Default Towing with toilet charged and fresh water tank full

We are going to Lexington for Thanksgiving, and the campground (Kentucky Horse Park) shuts off its water Nov. 1. I'd like to fill the fresh water tank and charge the toilet before leaving. Any harm in that? Will the toilet slosh water over the floor of the bathroom?

Doc
Old 11-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Nope. I do it all the time.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
Bluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegs View Post
We are going to Lexington for Thanksgiving, and the campground (Kentucky Horse Park) shuts off its water Nov. 1. I'd like to fill the fresh water tank and charge the toilet before leaving. Any harm in that? Will the toilet slosh water over the floor of the bathroom?

Doc
No, it won't slosh onto the floor. No problem with either filling the water tank or charging the head.

That said, filling the water tank will add a little more weight but unless you are already close to your towing capacity, it's not a problem.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Some have reported having the toilet slosh out of the bowl when traveling, but I believe this is more apt to occur when the toilet is full. Others have suggested wrapping the top with plastic wrap to avoid this. It doesn't take much to charge the toilet to the point where it flushes. We keep an empty 2L soda bottle (larger mouth than the ordinary 1.5L) in the trailer for filling water in case we need to, it's lightweight and doesn't take up much room. Sometimes we fill it up with drinking water before we leave because our well water tastes so much better than most water we have tasted at various campgrounds.

As to traveling with the water tank full, many people also do this for convenience. We usually keep at least a small amount of water in there "just in case".

The only drawback I know to traveling with your water tank full is weight and how this might add to the risk of blowouts.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
whitegs

Default Thanks everyone

Sometimes it's nice to have a little reassurance that what you think is true really is.

Doc
Old 11-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
PopBeavers

I always leave home full of water, because sometimes my destination has had a water safety problem.

I have the optional 40 gallon water tank, so I carry about 333 pounds, plus whatever is is the toilet.

I have never had a sloshing problem with the toilet, even when leaving the campground. I sometimes have to tow 150 miles to the most convenient dump station along the way home. I have never covered with plastic wrap.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Most people don't have a sloshing problem, but a few do. I've experienced minor sloshing, and even when it is minor, and even when clean water is what sloshes, it was annoying to clean up. So now, instead of putting the charge water into the toilet before leaving home, I put it in a couple one-gallon milk jugs, and carry the jugs in the bathtub. Then, in the comfort and security of the campground, I charge the toilet and throw the jugs away. Kind of like what B_and_D described.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I never tow with water in the camper so I don't know about "Sloshing". All of the CGs that we have been to have water available somewhere in the CG. We just fill up and charge toilet when we arrive if we are dry camping. If the CG doesn't have water anywhere (which I've never encountered), I'd just find a place close by that has water.

I carry an empty 2G plastic jug (with a large lid) that I fill up and use for charging the toilet. I also use that jug as my private......ahhhhhhhh......dare I say it????....uranal while camping. I just put potty chemicals in it, (just like the toilet). It saves a lot of room in the camper's toilet for the rest of the family and I can take it to the restroom and dump it in the toilet.

The trick is to remember to put water in the tank before you set-up......
Old 11-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
I never tow with water in the camper so I don't know about "Sloshing". All of the CGs that we have been to have water available somewhere in the CG. We just fill up and charge toilet when we arrive if we are dry camping. If the CG doesn't have water anywhere (which I've never encountered), I'd just find a place close by that has water.
I used to think that way, but have been burned twice:

1. a few years ago we camped at Laguna Seca Raceway, in Monterrey, CA to attend a mountain Bike race. Signs posted at the restrooms said to boil the water before using.

2. In the late 1970's, of the many trips we camped at the Forest Service campground at Lake Shasta, (near Antler's) the water pump had failed late Friday, and there would be no one to fix it until Monday.

Lesson: unless you call shortly before you arrive, you will not know if the campground water is actually working and safe. Mostly it is. But when I arrive late on a Friday night after dark I like having my water from home.

This year we went twice to a new campground. We really like it, because we can ride the ATVs and off-road motorcycles from camp to the forest trails. The water source is a pipe at a spring near the campground entrance. I have several 7 gallon water containers that I use to refill, but it sure is easier the first two days to start out with the water from home.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
Beak12

I have always put enough water and chemical in the toilet to just see water flow when I hit the power switch. Never had a problem of anything getting on the floor.

And there have always been water in any campground I visit. I do carry about 1/3 full just in case.