TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2015, 08:31 AM   #1
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Default Looking at a couple Trailmanors

Hello all!

I'm looking to buy an older used TM... I have my eye on a 2003 3124KB and a 2001 3326 King. Both are several states away in opposite directions, so I have a few questions before I go check out either...

When did TM go to all-aluminum construction? I'd like to avoid the possibility of wood rot.

Both sit on stock size tires with no lift and have roof A/C. Should they clear my true 7' garage door?

I would eventually install a lift kit to upgrade to 15" wheels (I'm also planning to reframe my garage door from 9'x7' to 12'x8', not just for the TM). Does the 3326 require 2 lift kits since it has a dual axle? Was there a year when TM started welding the axles to the frame? What size and model tire to people find work well with the lift?

Has anyone had success with retrofitting a swing-around tongue or fabricating a removable tongue (3124 has swing tongue and would fit in the garage, 3326 would require some massaging above and beyond a 2' swing)?

When/if I go check these out, is there anything in particular I should look for besides the obvious question of does stuff work? Any known failure areas?

Everything else being equal, the 3124KB looks like the more functional choice with the permanent front bed with privacy curtain for my 6yr old son. But the 3326 looks awesome with the dual axles , permanent dinette, and front living area! Not to mention it is 1,400 miles closer and $1,000 cheaper! But the 3124KB is for sale from the original owner (who seems honest and incredibly nice) whereas the 3326 has had 2 owners and was traded in at a dealer. Pros & cons to each? TV shouldn't be an issue; I drive a 2004 GMC Envoy XUV with a 5.3 V8 rated to tow 6400lbs.

Thanks for any input! I've been chomping at the bit for my sponsored membership to go through so I can post! And I'm amazed at all the additional info that goes with it. The site is AMAZING!

-Shane
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I don't have good answers to your questions but I am sure there will be people that will chime in. I do have a post bookmarked from when I was looking that has a list of helpful posts. As I remember it some were just ok and some very helpful. They were in no particular order. Best of luck in your search we have loved having our TM.

Roger

http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8878

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

2001 is probably wood, 2003 may be aluminum. Check the fittings particularly latches.
Dual axle can fit smaller tires.
Should not be an issue with a 7" high door opening.
Condition is everything but the main thing you get with a 3326 is a two person dinette.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Padgett-
What do you mean "check the fittings, especially latches"? What do I look for? Obviously latches pulling out are an issue... How can I tell if it's wood or aluminum frame?
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:09 PM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Well I'd just go around the coach and wiggle things. Check the doorway fittings also.

Have not seen a wooden coach in person so do not know how to tell, my '06 is Aluminum.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I won't add any new info to the wood vs metal question. I've owned both of the models you are considering. The tandem axle unit I had was a late 90's unit and it was perfect for us at the time. It's a load to tow, and takes up quite a bit of space wherever it's parked. I'm not an structural engineer of any kind, but the tongue weight on that tandem axle is pretty stout which to me may not allow a swing hitch configuration. Twice the budget for tires over time and maintenance. I currently have a 3124kb and love the size and king bed. It's an 02 model year which means it has some wood and some aluminum. Not ready to downsize yet. May one day.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:09 PM   #7
shebantam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Well I'd just go around the coach and wiggle things. Check the doorway fittings also.

Have not seen a wooden coach in person so do not know how to tell, my '06 is Aluminum.
When we come down to McDill in Jan, you are welcome to come by and see a wooden one All you need is an ID like a Driver's licence. to get through the gate. Bring the camper and that is another issue. Will be interesting taking this camper on base if I have to open all the doors.
2006 Aliner Cabin A3
1999 Sunnybrook 26FK with WDH with sway
all pulled by a 1999 F150
shebantam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:07 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Hello all! When did TM go to all-aluminum construction?
Although it is sometimes hard to grasp. there was no hard cutover date for most TM changes. Changes were gradually phased in over time, then evaluated for a while before they were accepted as permanent. And the changes were made to different models at different times. For example, my early-build 2002 2720SL had aluminum shell framing, but I have heard of later 2002 builds that still had wood.

Quote:
Both sit on stock size tires with no lift and have roof A/C. Should they clear my true 7' garage door?
Yes. Use the Search tool on the word "garage" to find lots of discussion. Start here.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6620

Quote:
Does the 3326 require 2 lift kits since it has a dual axle?
Yes - or a single long lift tube.

Quote:
Was there a year when TM started welding the axles to the frame?
If you are asking about welding the lift kit to the frame, vs bolting it, see answer to #1 above. The factory addition of the lift kit was even more haphazard than the change to aluminum framing.

Quote:
Has anyone had success with retrofitting a swing-around tongue or fabricating a removable tongue.
Again, this has been the subject of discussion, so a session with the Search tool maybe helpful. The question has been asked many times, and at least one member found a local welder willing to take it on. But many welders are hesitant, since it is an unusual mechanism and the consequences of failure are dire. I know that The Car Show in Colorado Springs has done it, and I think Custom RV in Ontario, CA has done it. Neither very handy to you, but a quick call to TCS might get you more information.

Quote:
How can I determine if the shell framing is wood?
I know of only one way, and that is to remove a couple of the screws from the bottom edge of the side of one of the shells. Then look at the screw's threads to see if they have wood "crumbs" adhering. Or use a flashlight to peer up into the screw hole.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote