TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-22-2002, 12:41 PM   #1

Default Still having oven problems Fixed!!

I am still having problems with the oven on my TM.  The pilot light is very difficult to light and. once lit, sometimes the oven will come on and then turn off for no reason.  The owner's manual says that it is normal for the burner to cycle off and on but mine cycles off and doesn't turn on again.  This weekend the burner wouldn't even light.  I took the burner off to make sure there was no obstruction but it still didn't work.  Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should try next?
Old 09-22-2002, 02:02 PM   #2
Gene

Default Re: Still having oven problems

Check your propane supply.
Old 09-22-2002, 02:18 PM   #3

I'm not sure I understand your reply.  Are you suggesting there might be something wrong with my propane?  Every other appliance, fridge, burners on the stove, water heater, etc work perfectly.
Old 09-22-2002, 03:25 PM   #4
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your reply.  Are you suggesting there might be something wrong with my propane?  Every other appliance, fridge, burners on the stove, water heater, etc work perfectly.

KST,

I think the idea is that you should check the supply line, starting at the connection point to the stove. Trace it back to a common branch (one that feeds at least one other appliance), then determine if that line has an obstruction. I.e.; if the feed to the other appliance is ok, then the line to the stove may be obstructed/kinked, etc.

If that is not the problem, the the feed within the stove is suspect, or the seviceability of the burner unit itself may be marginal.

Standard troublshooting - eliminate, one-by-one, each link in the chain of suspects until you find the culprit.

Denny_A

Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 06:53 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If the stove top burners work fine, then it is likely that an adequate supply of propane is getting to the unit.

At the moment, I can't get into my TM to check, but I think that the pilot flame operates a heat-activated valve that controls gas flow to the main burner. If your pilot flame is too small, or if it isn't perfectly aligned with this heat-activated valve, then the gas flow to the main burner may be erratic at best.

The oven manual is not real clear about this, but it does say that after you light the pilot, it may take as much as 45 seconds before the main burner comes on, and NO GAS IS FLOWING DURING THIS TIME. Sure sounds like a heat activated valve to me. The Exploded Parts diagram is not much clearer, but it does show a valve (item 57) that appears to sit directly over the pilot burner (item 54).

So I would suggest that first, you make sure the pilot orifice isn't partially clogged. Wipe it off, and then (per the manual), carefully clean with a small wire or needle, but not with a wire brush. Then, assuming I am reading the diagram right and you can see a valve above the pilot, make sure they are lined up.

One other thing - the oven burner is supposed to cycle on and off when baking, but not when broiling. Does your burner stay on in the broil position?

Good luck

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 09:11 AM   #6

I finally got around to taking it to the dealer. It was a bad safety valve. It works great now!!!
Old 09-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
tshawah

Can you tell me where I can find a diagram of the oven and exactly where to lite it? The manuals I have do not have a diagram. Thanks.
Tom
2720 sl 2007
Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #8
camp2canoe

You'll need to be on your knees and a flashlight is helpful the first time. Just follow the oven burner to the end and you'll see some gas plumbing with a little aluminum "shelf" perhaps an inch long. Just get an extended release lighter in that area while turning the oven control to "pilot" and holding it in. The oven control needs to be held in until the (quite tiny) pilot flame burns on its own. You may find it helpful to have someone else hold the control knob in the first time as it is an akward reach and it also helps to light a stove burner first to assure that gas has reached the stove. Hope this helps. - camp2canoe