TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #21
Padgett
TrailManor Master

October in South Dakota ? Not a good time of the year to start things.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:38 PM   #22
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Have used Kanban (Just in Time) systems before. Has almost no inventory and requires very reliable/fast purchasing/delivery of parts. Best with redundant sources so one failure does not shut you down.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:42 AM   #23
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
So they are building a new facility from the ground up? That seems like a lot of startup capital that could've been saved by staying put. Or is the Nebraska location actually holding them back some how (workforce, taxes)?
Shane -

My understanding is that Bob and Cleo own the Nebraska facility personally. Apparently, they didn't sell it to OES/TM Industries as part of the TM acquisition. The reasons for this decision are unknown to us, though I can believe that being closer to TMI's home office and existing fabrication facilities would be part of it. I think the new location is also closer to an Interstate. Anyone who has visited Hartington knows that it is off in the boonies.

To me, the important part of the news is that the new company is coming out of the starting box FAST! If they already have a slab in place and a building shell up, then the Dakota winter is not a problem for them (or at least they have planned around it). And if they intend to start limited production in October, that shows aggressive planning, likely with the intent of building up some inventory during the winter, to be ready for the spring shows and a sales launch. An October start will also give them a chance to iron out the inevitable rough spots in the production process, line up suppliers, work on the dealer network, and do all the other things needed if they plan to become a smooth-running operation by spring.

Call me Pollyanna ... but I am pleased.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:38 AM   #24
Logman

Default New owners

If the new owners run their business as many Amish and Mennonite communities they will train and employ their own community members when practical. In my personal experience they are efficient and reliable. Best of luck to them !
2007 Chevy Silverado/w cap
Logman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #25
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Shane -

My understanding is that Bob and Cleo own the Nebraska facility personally. Apparently, they didn't sell it to OES/TM Industries as part of the TM acquisition. The reasons for this decision are unknown to us, though I can believe that being closer to TMI's home office and existing fabrication facilities would be part of it. I think the new location is also closer to an Interstate. Anyone who has visited Hartington knows that it is off in the boonies.

To me, the important part of the news is that the new company is coming out of the starting box FAST! If they already have a slab in place and a building shell up, then the Dakota winter is not a problem for them (or at least they have planned around it). And if they intend to start limited production in October, that shows aggressive planning, likely with the intent of building up some inventory during the winter, to be ready for the spring shows and a sales launch. An October start will also give them a chance to iron out the inevitable rough spots in the production process, line up suppliers, work on the dealer network, and do all the other things needed if they plan to become a smooth-running operation by spring.

Call me Pollyanna ... but I am pleased.

Bill

That's a good assessment. I would agree on that take, for what's next.

Rv

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:24 PM   #26
CAG1976

I wish the new owners the best of luck.

If Trailmanor ever stopped building completely I know most parts are universal in the industry. I have wondered about the torsion bars if down the road I ever needed to replace them can they be purchased elsewhere? That's probably the most unique part in the TM.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #27
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

My guess is that the torsion bars are one of the few parts that are NOT standard. If you have seen photos of the production floor, you have seen racks and racks of torsion bars, each slightly different from the rest, and each "tuned" to a specific TM model and accessories load. Got the original air conditioner on the roof? That's a 2B1 torsion bar. Oops, got a low profile air conditioner? That's the 2B2 torsion bar.

So while most of the appliances are common to the RV industry, there are a few TM-specific parts. And the set of torsion bars is one of them. After all, TM is the only trailer that expands upward and outward! Why would we think that the mechanism that enables this move would be an industry standard?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:58 PM   #28
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Well, I'd start here.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:15 PM   #29
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Have used Kanban (Just in Time) systems before. Has almost no inventory and requires very reliable/fast purchasing/delivery of parts. Best with redundant sources so one failure does not shut you down.
Not that I want to quibble, but "just in time" is more of a Lean principle than Kanban (which is a pull system based on limits).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:01 PM   #30
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Go ahead. I larned it in the last century and meanings keep changing.