TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
joshbw

Default Southern CA Beach Campgrounds

Anyone have any recomendations for SoCal campgrounds on the beach? Typically like State/National Park camping or places that dont crame you in like some RV parks.

Just curious and havent been to this area but thought it would be cool to camp on the water. I would be coming in from Vegas.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbw View Post
Anyone have any recomendations for SoCal campgrounds on the beach? Typically like State/National Park camping or places that dont crame you in like some RV parks.

Just curious and havent been to this area but thought it would be cool to camp on the water. I would be coming in from Vegas.

Thanks
What time of year?

We have camped at almost all of the beach CG is SoCal.

Our regular spot is Point Mugu SP. In fact, we camp there about 10 times a year. We went 2 weeks ago, 4 weeks ago and we are going again next weekend.

Weather can be a big factor in some of the CGs. Next weekend should be good.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
Scott O

The SoCal coast is probably about 300 miles long, stretching from Santa Barbara to San Diego. Can you narrow it down a bit? There are no National Park campgrounds in this area, but there are a bunch of State Parks. These can be investigated on the California State Parks web site. Reservations for most can be made in advance.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
joshbw

Honestly anytime of year, I would like to go soon but its probably impossible to get reservations....

I checked on SP and it was 6 months out for any weekend.

San diego to santa barbara is a good range. I just don't want to be stuck on top of the neighbors and was looking for GC's you all like
Old 11-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Winter is actually a good time for reservations because the kids are in school and the weather is either OK or BAD........but in reality, it isn't often bad.

This pic was from 2 weeks ago @ Pt Mugu (15 miles so of Ventura)

The sites are 65' long and from the road to the ocean (about 300'). Reservations are not site specific (they are all the same anyway).

Reservations are open (almost) any day during the winter (except possibly some holidays). Right now, there are 53 sites open for next weekend.

Refugio (just south of Santa Barbara is great and you can reserve a site #

There's a really nice CG just near there called Faria State Beach. 1st come 1st served (no reservations). Campsites are fairly small but right on the beach. It's a beautiful spot that mostly the locals know about. Weekdays are wide open.

South of Refugio is Carpenteria State Beach. They are a lot busier and the sites are smaller.........beautiful beach..

In Orange County, there is Doheny State Beach and the sites are expensive and some are small but not bad......we go there often too. I would recommend a beach front site, if you can get one.

Farther South is San Elijo. This is our 2nd favorite CG. The Southern most beach front site are the best. As the camp-sites progress north, the sites get higher on a bluff. We only camp here or Doheny if we can get right on the beach.

SoCal State CG are almost all "No hook-ups". If you want hook-ups, let me know and I can recommend the few that are available but I will tell you, they aren't the best sites and never beach front.

Check-out this website for pics of sites by CG name and site #.
http://www.campsitephotos.com/

My wife just reminded me that I forgot our favorite CG of all.
Jalama Beach County Park
http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/cas...jalamabeac.htm

It is very remote, right on the Beach and OK size sites. The only noise that you will hear is the train....it really isn't bad and I don't remember it ever waking me in the night. The draw-back......no reservations. However, if you get there on a Tuesday or Wednesday, you shouldn't have a problem getting in.......especially in the winter months. I attached a few pics of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jalama3-7-06 035.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	5338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jalama3-7-06 044.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	5339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jalama3-7-06 042.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	5340  
Old 11-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
M&M Hokie

Lots of great information there Wayne. I can vouch for your recommendation at Pt Mugu. Loved it and GREAT hiking!

One minor correction to a portion of your post
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post

Refugio (just south of Santa Barbara is great and you can reserve a site #
Refugio is actually north of Santa Barbara if US101 is your compass and west otherwise. El Capitan State Beach lies between Refugio and Santa Barbara and is another great place for OP to consider.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Hokie View Post
Lot's of great information there Wayne. Pt. Mugu lived up to your recom I can vouch for your recommendation at Pt Mugu. Loved it and GREAT hiking!

One minor correction to a portion of your post

Refugio is actually north of Santa Barbara if US101 is your compass and west otherwise. El Capitan State Beach lies between Refugio and Santa Barbara and is another great place for OP to consider.
Thanks for the corrections........ too much turkey.....
Old 11-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
joshbw

Wow you guys are the best. Thanks for planning my next trip! I am so glad we that we get to use our TMs all year here in the southwest.

Thanks again

Josh
Old 12-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
joshbw

I made my reservations yesterday for San Elijo in June. I cannot believe that a majority of the campground was booked by 5 minutes after the reservations went on sale. Must be a good place... even though $50 a night is a bit steep for no hook ups.

Cannot wait until June!

Thanks all.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbw View Post
I made my reservations yesterday for San Elijo in June. I cannot believe that a majority of the campground was booked by 5 minutes after the reservations went on sale. Must be a good place... even though $50 a night is a bit steep for no hook ups.

Cannot wait until June!

Thanks all.
That price puts that place outa my reach

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote