TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
Goodyear Travels

Default Question Re. Norcold Freezer Door

I believe my dear wife used the open freezer door on our Norcold N300.3R ('07 2720sl) as a loading platform for frozen meats. The weight probably overloaded the door and the springs that tension the door shut -- apparently slipped. The door no longer comes all the way up to a closed position. I removed the door, the plastic brackets, and the spring components. Nothing appears broken so I'm guessing that the springs just slipped a notch or two. But I can't figure out how to reinstall the door -- keeping tension on the springs so that they once again pull the door tightly closed. Has anyone wrestled with this freezer door situation? And -- please don't use your own door as a loading platform or you'll share this adventure with me. GT
Old 07-14-2010, 05:45 AM   #2
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Yes, I messed my freezer door spring also. I think I did something stupid like trying to use the refer door to hold open the freezer door so it would dry out faster. It spread the box enough that the spring slipped.

I can't remember exactly how I did it, but I took the screw out for the hinge and wound the spring a few turns. It took a few times until I had the proper tension back in the spring, but it has been fine since then.

HTH, Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
rjlwork

BEAUTIFUL Aussie! We have a blue merle boy named OZ. Love the breed and he loves the Trailmini!

Judy
2010 Trailmini
2007 Buick Rendezvous
Old 07-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
Goodyear Travels

Thank you Keith for the advice. Norcold sent me detailed instructions today. If I can figure out how -- I may post them for others.

And thank you RJL for the kind words. Your Aussie looks to be a winner too. Our Aussie, Deacon, works for Hospice of the Valley and he has had many special moments with individuals and their families. I'm honored to be his Dad. He and I just climbed Mt Baldy last weekend. It's the 2nd highest peak in Az at 11,400 ft. He has always been my trail buddy and like OZ, he loves his TM. Thanks for writing, Judy.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
kije19

"Norcold sent me detailed instructions today. If I can figure out how -- I may post them for others."

Did this problem get resolved, and if so do you have the instructions? I had the same issue with my Norcold 300.3, managed to rewind the spring on one side but it is still does not close tightly. I contacted Norcold, they told me to order new parts from a place called SMO. I'd rather try fixing it first.

thanks

tim
Old 04-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Add me to the list of people who need to do this. Goodyear, if you would post the instructions - or send them to me and I will scan them, post them for you, and return them to you - that would be great.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
kije19

"Norcold sent me detailed instructions today. If I can figure out how -- I may post them for others."

Any luck on coming up with this info? I contacted Norcold, was advised I needed new spring holders. Per their referral, I called SMO Products and purchased the parts. SMO could not provide any info on installation. I've tried searching the net, did find a schematic with parts diagrams and numbers, but no info on how to install. It is apparent that the spring holder unit has to be pre-tensioned to hold the door closed tightly. One side is easy, but I can't figure out how to hold the first in position while tensioning the other.

I read through a similar thread on the TM forum, no answers there. Any help would be appreciated.