TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #21
clown9644

I add this picture only as a means of humor, not to add anything to the discussion that has any bearing. Please forgive my sick mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	419492_268313353236934_1446408903_n.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	7480  
Old 06-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #22
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I provided two links in the #2 post. The first is a discussion of how secure the TM is. In the first link post #10 and #18 tells how to quickly and easily it is get into a locked TM if you are familiar with them.

The second link is about self defense. After reading it I purchased a can of bear spray. It has a 30 foot range, glow in the dark safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge and permit immediate location for firing at night. It is large enough to stop a grizzly bear or multiple two legged problems. I am sure the wasp spry would do the job however the bear spay will not cause any permanent injury. This would be my first choice in dealing with an intruder. In today’s world I could see where you could be attacked and be the one in court for blinding someone with wasp spray.

On our 6 week trip to Utah one night DW woke me up and said “There was a car here a little while ago and they are back and I think they are walking around the camp site now.” It was 2 in the morning. A bit alarming as I keep my generator outside (locked up but they would not know that until they looked). I keep the bear spray in the door so I grabbed my second line of defense I keep next to the bed and rolled out to peek through the windows. As I am watching I discover they are setting up a tent in our camp site. LOL It turned out to be a couple of kids that had driven all night so they could bike in the morning. The camp sites in the area fill up and ours was big enough to be mistaken by a couple of tired kids for 2 sites. It was no big deal and they moved on after breakfast in the morning.

At two in the morning with someone walking around the campsite with a flashlight it was reassuring to have something I could defend myself with if need be.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #23
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesherp View Post
I provided two links in the #2 post. The first is a discussion of how secure the TM is. In the first link post #10 and #18 tells how to quickly and easily it is get into a locked TM if you are familiar with them.

The second link is about self defense. After reading it I purchased a can of bear spray. It has a 30 foot range, glow in the dark safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge and permit immediate location for firing at night. It is large enough to stop a grizzly bear or multiple two legged problems. I am sure the wasp spry would do the job however the bear spay will not cause any permanent injury. This would be my first choice in dealing with an intruder. In today’s world I could see where you could be attacked and be the one in court for blinding someone with wasp spray.

On our 6 week trip to Utah one night DW woke me up and said “There was a car here a little while ago and they are back and I think they are walking around the camp site now.” It was 2 in the morning. A bit alarming as I keep my generator outside (locked up but they would not know that until they looked). I keep the bear spray in the door so I grabbed my second line of defense I keep next to the bed and rolled out to peek through the windows. As I am watching I discover they are setting up a tent in our camp site. LOL It turned out to be a couple of kids that had driven all night so they could bike in the morning. The camp sites in the area fill up and ours was big enough to be mistaken by a couple of tired kids for 2 sites. It was no big deal and they moved on after breakfast in the morning.

At two in the morning with someone walking around the campsite with a flashlight it was reassuring to have something I could defend myself with if need be.
We are never without multiple defensive weapons. All three of us are trained in Martial Arts & our son is a Black Belt but that isn't our last or only defensive weapon. I was a Boy Scout so I believe in the Moto "Be Prepared"

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #24
PopBeavers

One evening when I was 13, I was the first one home. So I was the one that walked in on the two burglars.

Having your arm twisted up behind your back with a knife at your throat changes your perspective of things.

On a previous occasion, what my mother thought was my oldest brother sleep walking again was actually a midnight burglar.

After these two experiences, camping seems safer than city living.

In California, a day time burglary is a misdemeanor. At night it is a felony. Thieves know this, and time their crimes accordingly.

If someone is home then it is robbery and as far as I know robbery is always a felony.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #25
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
One evening when I was 13, I was the first one home. So I was the one that walked in on the two burglars.

Having your arm twisted up behind your back with a knife at your throat changes your perspective of things.

On a previous occasion, what my mother thought was my oldest brother sleep walking again was actually a midnight burglar.

After these two experiences, camping seems safer than city living.

In California, a day time burglary is a misdemeanor. At night it is a felony. Thieves know this, and time their crimes accordingly.

If someone is home then it is robbery and as far as I know robbery is always a felony.

WOW not good experiences for sure.

Unfortunately I also have experience with violent attacks. I was a scrawny little kid & was bullied until I learned how to defend my self. I don't even walk to my vehicle without being aware of surroundings which to me is the most important thing you can do to protect yourself.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #26
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

i really like the wasp spray idea and the bear spay
this thought was on my mind a few wks back ,we was the only ones in cg for two nights , kinda off the beaten path, knew if we could get a call out, it would be a 1/2 hr or longer before anyone could be to us. if anything it highten my scenses,
but we also travel with the dogs, my boy, bon looks somewhat intimitdating,70 lbs with the black face and blue eyes, vet thinks he is sheperd, husky, mix, and i wonder if he would bite anything but a biscuit,but just the sight of him being around kinda make us feel safer,
kinda funny , the wifes freindly looking collie , to say it nicely is the fussy one , she takes it personal if you come into the camp site , she can't go out so you cant come in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0590.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	7485   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0592.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	7486   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0593.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	972.1 KB
ID:	7487  

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #27
moaboy

My TM is in the garage so I don't have a sense of how hard or helpful this would be, but how about adding a second latch to the original one that holds the two doors together? Seems like it would be easier than another deadbolt, granted not as secure, but would strengthen the existing arrangement and make it harder to undo the doors which seems to be one of the weaker points.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #28
MudDog
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post

from http://www.shouselaw.com/burglary.html

"It is interesting to note how this law has changed. In the late 1800s, first degree burglaries were committed at night, second degree burglaries during the day. Then in 1923, first degree burglary expanded to include inhabited dwelling houses that were burgled at night and burglaries that involved deadly weapons or assault, regardless of the time of day the burglary occurred.

In 1976, the legislature deleted the language regarding weapons and assaults. Then in 1982, the nighttime requirement was deleted"
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #29
MudDog
TrailManor Master

I think one of the biggest deterents, assuming others are relatively nearby and you are not boondocking alone, is NOISE.

If your tow vehicle has a keyless entry/alarm with panic button you could set it off remotely from inside the TM if someone was trying to get in.

They also sell very LOUD (130db) panic alarms you could keep in the TM.

Most people looking for trouble aren't looking to get caught and would likely flee with that kind of noise/attention being drawn to them.

Found this site (UK, but they have US re-sellers):

http://www.ilasecurity.com/uk/

--jim
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #30
PopBeavers

You could also make all of the exterior TM lights flash. Simple mod.