TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
nelAndKen

Default Any recommendations for S.P. or N.P. near Dallas Ft. Worth

We are heading south to Texas in August and looking for any campsite recommendations. Prefer north of Fort Worth and would prefer State Park, State Forest, National Park, National Forest, Corp of Engineers camp grounds. Was looking at Roy Peterson State Park, has anyone camped there?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Al-n-Sue

Talking Texas in August?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelAndKen View Post
We are heading south to Texas in August and looking for any campsite recommendations. Prefer north of Fort Worth and would prefer State Park, State Forest, National Park, National Forest, Corp of Engineers camp grounds. Was looking at Roy Peterson State Park, has anyone camped there?
As a former Texan, all I can say is August is NOT camping season in Texas!

Seriously, be sure your A/C is in good working order. Unfortunately, when we lived in Texas (Dallas area) we tended to head east to the piney woods for our camping trips (can you say shade?). But we had no A/C on our popup then so camping was pretty much limited to Easter to Memorial Day - and we favored sites close to lakes with lots of trees.

North of Ft. Worth is mostly flat with limited trees, but there are some new lakes there that might provide some possibilities. Hopefully someone who lives in that area now or who has camped there can give you some recommendations.

I know Texas does a great job on its state parks so that would likely be a good choice if there is one close to where you want to be.
Good luck!
Alan
PS-I'm not really a former Texan, I'm an Okie who lived in Texas most of my life. And now I claim to be a Coloradoan.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
newtome3326k
Site Sponsor

Smile Camping recommendations for DFW Area

Tell me were you have in mind to stay and I can give you some ideas. We live in Arlington which is between Dallas and Fort Worth... Headed out for first trip of season to Lake Mineral Wells, Texas but could let you know of more
WDH, Brake Controler, 2 Pioneer cameras
newtome3326k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

North of FW there's not much. Cleburne and Dinosaur Valley, both a little further south, are nice. Dinosaur Valley especially fun for kids.

But, as others have said, it will be hot.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
nelAndKen

We are visiting relatives (knowing full well it will be hotter than all get out), but alas this is the only time we can string enough days together to go. They are presently looking for a new home. So right now I'm not sure where they will end up, currently they are in Frisco, but looking at Lantana, so we are looking for something near either of the two or someplace in between. We picked up or TM from CO last summer and spent a few days in Moab, UTin August (104 degrees on the warmest day, but it was a dry heat...lol!) and anything warmer than -25 is always a blessing. Thanks for you input.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
kpierce

Default Camping near Ft Worth.

I like Lake Mineral Wells State Park it has shade, nice lake, rock climbing, and a biking rail to trails nearby.

Kevin
Old 05-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
nelAndKen

Sorry, I got the wrong park I was looking at, how about Ray Roberts Lake State Park, either the Johnson Branch or Isle de Bois units? Thank you for the Mineral Wells suggestion, I'm not sure we will want to drive an hour and half one way to visit the rellies. Johnson Branch and Isle de Bois seem closer to Lantana and Frisco, am I wrong?

Tags
2008 3124kb, ben & sam & zelda too, f-150 supercrew, nel and ken