TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
Tampajohn

Default Thinking about purchasing an Elmont? Suggestions?

I have a 2720 and getting a bit too old to set up it. I am thinking about an older Elkmont. Guess I need some questions answered. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Why did they quit making them?

2. One thing I like it the metal bottom and top construction. If I would have owned another type of camper beside TM, this camper would have been rotted out. Not the TM with the aluminum. Is there any other campers with the same type of construction.

2. Is there any problems with Elmonts that I need to know.

3. Is their construction similar to the 2720, but just do not need to set them up.

3 I realize wind resistance is more, but the weight is similar. It will take more to pull it, but is there anything else I need to be aware.

I know it would take me some time to find one and we have 3 more months to do on a 4 and 1/2 month trip, but I am starting to look for something that will not rot out, light weight, and not necessary to fold up and down.

Any help would help. John
Old 12-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hey John, I think they stopped making the Elkmont, because they weren't selling enough of them to keep production up during the recent economic down turn. If you can find one, they are nice. DW and I looked at one back when we were shopping for a TM.

Another option for you might be the Camplite 21RSB made by Livinlite. I think they are roughly the same weight as a 2720 and are all aluminum construction.

Good luck and safe travels on the rest of your trip.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Tampajohn

Thanks much. Just kicking the idea around. Rally appreciate it.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
FujiPedaler

When I was at the factory a year ago Sept., they told me they could still build the 3326 King because they still had all of the patterns. I suppose they could still build an Elkmont.

If you are finding that the set up is too much for you, I wonder if that it is the lifting of the tops that is too much for you, and if so I think it would be a good idea to have the torsion bars adjusted . It will make set up real easy again.

Just a thought, and a whole lot cheaper.

Happy New Year to you and all.

Norman
WDH, Rear receiver for bikes,
Hual-a-vator for Kayaks
Norman & Elizabeth
FujiPedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:18 AM   #5
robertkennel

There were some problems with the Elkmonts with water leaks. You can search this forum using the words elkmont problems or just look further back in the general discussion elkmont threads. Some people had problems and others didn't so I would do some research before purchasing, just like with anything. Good Luck! Robert
Old 01-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #6
Tampajohn

Thanks Robert, Off to searching I go.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
Tampajohn

Robert, I did the search and there is no perfect camper. I might just take everyone suggestion and go back to the factory this summer and make sure it is adjusted perfectly so I can lift it as easy as possible and then make a decision. I just hate pulling a big camper around. If I could get the wife from wanting to take everything but another kitchen sink, it would help. It takes me longer to get all the junk situated just so I can close the TM than it does to close it.

Tomorrow is travel day and I am starting to think about where to pack stuff and get things ready to close it before tomorrow. There is junk from one end to the other. Maybe I will buy a Sprinter to haul all the junk in. But in reality, I can understand since we are out 4 1/2 months on this trip. I have pitched stuff all along the route since we left home. Fortunately we have not pitched anything and later found out later we needed them.

We came prepared to boondock whether at Walmart or BLM and have only done it for two days in Quartzite. Who knows what will happen before we get home or what we will need.

Maybe more planning will help.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I feel some of your pain. The longest we've been out is 2 weeks and we find the front bed is full of clear deep wall storage containers with STUFF... We do take the most of them out after set up and store under the TM while camping. The storage area under the rear bed is full and the rear trunk is also full. We do use the hall wardrobe full and lower it to the floor full and leave it that way to travel. The tub is a good place to store STUFF.

I've seen a storage material that can be attached to the rear bed sides underneath the TM and offers a hidden storage area while camping. Encloses the overhang.

Can't imagine what would necessary to be out for months. Not sure who would be more prone to bring too much... Me or the Mrs. I would think 7 days is the limit for clothes, food, water, sanitation.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:29 PM   #9
Riwright
TrailManor Master

I would take the camper to Custom RV in Ontario. They are a great dealer and they are in southern California. They could adjust your shells for you. They are closed Thurs for the holiday but open after that.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:26 AM   #10
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampajohn View Post
Robert, I did the search and there is no perfect camper. I might just take everyone suggestion and go back to the factory this summer and make sure it is adjusted perfectly so I can lift it as easy as possible and then make a decision. I just hate pulling a big camper around. If I could get the wife from wanting to take everything but another kitchen sink, it would help. It takes me longer to get all the junk situated just so I can close the TM than it does to close it.

Tomorrow is travel day and I am starting to think about where to pack stuff and get things ready to close it before tomorrow. There is junk from one end to the other. Maybe I will buy a Sprinter to haul all the junk in. But in reality, I can understand since we are out 4 1/2 months on this trip. I have pitched stuff all along the route since we left home. Fortunately we have not pitched anything and later found out later we needed them.

We came prepared to boondock whether at Walmart or BLM and have only done it for two days in Quartzite. Who knows what will happen before we get home or what we will need.

Maybe more planning will help.
John,
We spend 6 to 8 months on the road with the TM. The wardrobe has blankets and pillows. In the 3 drawers go smaller items like towels, 2 each.
Dry food items for two weeks under the stove area, along with a few pots, pans and the coffee pot. The refeer has a week supply of cold items. Cold cuts for lunch go into a cooler kept in the back of the truck. A weeks worth of clothing in two totes in the back seat, our tv is a crew cab. Gas grill and a 20# propane bottle in the truck bed. Two mtn bikes in the bed of the truck along with misc items for camp fires. A 5 gal jug also. 2 two 1/2 gal jugs in the TM. Two 80 watt solar panels on the couch. No generators, which are a lot of weight to move. Laundry and perishable items are a once a week shopping run; usually made while changing camp sites.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote