TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #11
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

I have a fair sized crescent wrench and will try this next. Thank you for all the suggestions thus far...

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #12
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

I attempted to bend it with the crescent wrench last night. While I was able to move it, it was only bending from the hole down (not moving the whole plate). As this is not the bend I want (need the whole plate reshaped), I opted to stop trying. I've reached out to a metal worker I know and he is fairly confident that he can get them straight in short order. So I am now just looking to sync up with his schedule. Thanks again for all the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160524_185924_resized.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	13533   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160524_185936_resized.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	984.9 KB
ID:	13534  

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
Old 05-26-2016, 12:11 PM   #13
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

I was able to sync up with the metal worker and he straightened them up right quick, and then would not let me pay him for doing it (though he had originally quoted $25 - 50 for the repair. So, I told him that I would probably be bringing the TM back to him to fit it with the plumbing protector and possibly a frame-mounted storage box...

As for the fix, it did a variation on both methods I tried. Basically, he put the crescent wrench at the bottom of the bar, then (while maintaining pressure on the wrench) smacked the bar with a 5lb sledge. A number of hits with that and the bars straitened up.

Worthy of note: He said that by holding the bar with the crescent wrench and maintaining pressure, he minimized / eliminated the bounce-back I was experiencing.

I've put the Spare on the carrier and check for fit... it fits great and does not seem to depress the sidewall of my 225 75R15 LRD tire. Now, for lubrication, should I use a dry-film lubricant? (I think WD-40 would attract road grime...)

TLDR: to bend the spare tire brackets, apply pressure to the end of the bracket with a crescent wrench and wack the bracket with a medium - heavy duty hammer.

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
Old 05-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #14
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Thumbs up lubricant?

For the sliding rods on your spare tire carrier I assume. Yes I would, and do use a dry silicone spray to keep those rods sliding easily...the same that I use on my slide out. I love that stuff! I use it on everything....even pancakes! (just kidding)

Tom
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:12 PM   #15
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Wink one more thing...

I'm glad you got your spare tire issue straightened out (no pun intended). You were a brave soul traveling without a spare tire....or did you just carry one in the back of your TV? I would have. Before I got on this forum I never knew that tires and blowouts were such an issue. I guess if you had a 3324 with dual axles it wouldn't be as bad a problem...but with a single axle (like all the rest of the TM's), it's critical! I am sure you are better prepared now and don't have to worry so much. Lucky me, I ended up with two spare 16" wheels and tires. When I bought my new wheels and tires I also bought the spare so I would have one. I also got the road hazard warranty from Discount Tires (whom I had got the tires from on line). So they were all covered.
Now when I had my new Timbren axles installed, the guy who did the work didn't allow for room with my 16" tires and by his mistake, the curb side tire rubbed on the outrigger behind the tire and it's tread got shredded. The company that did the work had to replace the tire and so they bought me a new Maxxis tire. I had it mounted but kept the old damaged tire. So I had all new tires again. Then I bought another rim and took the damaged tire back to Discount tire who gave me another new tire and mounted and balanced it. So now I have another spare that I can put in the back of my truck if I never need it.
My theory is: since I'm so prepared, I'll never have a flat or blowout.
I hope you never have one too! But if you do....you'll have a spare!
Tom
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #16
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

I did/do have a spare, which was in the rear storage compartment (part of why I pursued getting the carrier ... wanted that space back). As for discount, I will ALWAYS buy my tires there. We've taken 2 trips cross-country (one of them with our other camper which was a Damon Camplite 2408SLE -a tandem axle popup). Both trips were fraught with tire problems and both had Discount Tire "stepping up". I'll try to give the Reader's Digest version here (hijacking my own thread)...

Trip 1 (the one with the camper). I did not ensure everything was 100% before leaving. We're driving trough PA and have flat on the tow vehicle, on a Saturday. Luckily, we were within 10 miles of a tire shop that was open on a Saturday and were able to get back on the road. The camper and Tow Vehicle were packed full (3 week trip, 7 people) and so we did not have a place to carry the old tire. After visiting friends in NYC, we headed to Buffalo and were pulled over by State Police because our trailer did not have tags. (They must have "fallen" off ;-) ). Upon doing his inspection, he noticed that one of my tires on the camper was missing a fair size chunk of tread. Again, luckily we were very close to a tire shop that was willing to mount my spare and we were back on the road. The officer also noticed that the front tires on my TV were looking more like racing slicks (than passenger tires). There weren't but a few national retailers in Buffalo and the ones that were there did not have tires to fit my trailer, so I opted to try and make it to the closest Discount Tire in Hilliard, OH. I called them in advance and they said they would have the tires ready to go and would get us in and out as quick as possible. They also asked us to keep them apprised of our progress so that they could put us in the schedule based on when we would get there. I did and they did. They dedicated 5 technicians to the job and replaced 9 tires (4 on the van and 5 on the trailer -including the spare). We were in and out in 45 minutes. Plus, because I buy the certificates, they only charged me for 7 tires. The certificates covered the tire we purchased in PA (though I was not able to produce the original tire) and the trailer tire that was missing a chunk of the tread, even though the DOT stamp showed the tire was over 5 years old.

Trip 2. Same trip, no camper. We survived the whole trip (almost). On our way home, through New Mexico, we got a flat. I changed it and put the spare on, but, by that time (Saturday evening) there wasn't a tire shop open near by, so after weighing our options, we decided to press on through to our destination for the night. Wouldn't you know it... 40 miles east of Albuquerque, we had another flat. After getting insurance to send a truck and accepting a ride (for half our troop) from a good Samaritan (who only after we were already on the road admitted that he had just been released from prison for kidnapping!), we made it to alb. It turns out the Pep Boys that we dropped the truck off at was less than a mile from our existing hotel reservation. Pep Boys replaced the tires (they're open Sunday) and on Monday (at home), I had Discount put the correct tires (brand etc) on the van to replace the tires PB had installed. They refunded the purchase price of the PB tires and all I had to do was pay to put certs on my new tires.

Most recently, My daughter (who is a younger driver) hit the curb in that same van and blew out both passenger tires. I took them back to discount and they replaced them (only costing my the price of new certificates).

I will be a Discount Tire customer for life.

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T

Tags
mounting brackets, smashed finger, spare tire, spare tire carrier