TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Question Need campground suggestions around Page, AZ

I am heading back to Utah and northern Arizona. I would like to visit Antelope Canyon, and Vermilion Cliffs. I have been looking for campgrounds around Page, AZ and don’t see many choices. The ones I see are the resort type camping (pools, Whirlpool etc.) on or around Lake Powell.

Anyone know of alternatives to that? Information on more traditional campsite type campgrounds (with or without hookups) or good places to boondock around Page would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:56 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You're right. There is not much in the area. Is the North Rim / Jacob Lake too far out of your way to consider? Gouldings at Monument Valley is good, and Monument Valley is wonderful in itself, of course. There is some kind of campground at Lee's Ferry, though we've never stayed there. Likewise Badger Creek in Marble Canyon. Wahweap Campground and Lone Rock Beach are on the lake. These are definitely not resorts. A Google on "Camping Marble Canyon, AZ" brings them up.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #3
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I think so. About 80 miles from Jacob Lake and NR is further. For Vermilion Cliffs I will need to be there for a permit drawing in the morning and it could take a few days to get one. Like the idea though. I think I saw a post that several people really liked Jacobs Lake. I just found something that indicated you can boondock on the AZ side of Grand Escalante. Link to safety video on Vermilion Cliffs has great video of scenery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=y8UsjSWXWLU

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:04 PM   #4
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Careful with boondocking around Page. I am planning a trip to North Rim, and believe much of the land around Page is Indian reservation. Have been told in other places with reservations that you cannot just camp like we do on National Forest land. If you decide to boondock, check very carefully where you are thinking about camping.

Personally, I don't see much in the Page area. Good luck!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:55 PM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

There is a huge swath of BLM land across route 89 from Page that has several developed campgrounds, each maybe 30-35 miles from Page, as well as opportunities to do dispersed camping.

Developed campgrounds:
http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/arolrsma...mpgrounds.html

That is really beautiful country up there.

I've camped at State Line campground -- it was nice, but the dirt road that led to it did a number on the TM due to severe washboarding. So if you go down that road, you have to do your best to find the harmonic rate of the road so your TM doesn't take too much of a beating. That, by the way, may involve increasing speed -- slower is not always better in those conditions. But in addition to washboarding, there are a number of doosey bumps and holes. On the plus side, though, it gets you super close to some areas that require permits to hike.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:44 AM   #6
fourteener

Lesherp,
I work for the NPS, and just conducted a site visit at Wahweap Campground at Glen Canyon NRA, and it has seen a lot of improvements in recent years. I would recommend to look at it on google earth, as shade is lacking. I would stay near the interior of the campground (vicinity of the showerhouse) for added wind protection. Also, the NPS has an area called Lone Rock (north of Wahweap). Due to low water it is in a state of 'primitive-like' status. Again if you google earth it you will see an area about 3/4 of the way down the paved road that there is a loop and some primitive spots to camp (this looks quite exposed to wind). One of these would be your best bet, and have you somewhat close to the backcountry office in the early AM. You may want to give the park a call to get a better feel for options in the area.
I hope this helps!
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Bill mentioned Lee's Ferry. We stayed there in 2010 but bypassed it last year because of the heat at that time. It is a nice CG but no shade and can get windy. Didn't bother the pup we had at the time so shouldn't be a problem for the TM. You are on a open mesa above the river pretty much.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #8
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Thanks you all for the ideas. I talked to the BLM yesterday and planning now to stay at State Line Campground. The road might be a bit of a challenge as they have not graded yet this year. It sounds like there are some other boondocking options. They said I could stop in at the office and they would go over the maps with me.

This area of the US is nothing short of spectacular. We are heading to Death Valley first than Vermilion Cliffs and Antelope Canyon. We plan to head back to Canyon Lands So. (Needles) and Capital Reef after we see some new sights. If you have not been to this area put it on you bucket list.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

You'll have a great time. Where you are going hiking is nothing short of breathtaking. And if it's cloudy when you get there, have patience and hang out a bit, as it may just clear up with the sun shining, as did happen when we were there.

Definitely take the road to State Line easy. If you can, travel with your toilet empty. If that involves emptying to a blue tote or using the latrine there, that's what I would do.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:43 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

When you get back, I hope to hear everything you care to tell (including pics) about Antelope Canyon. It is on our bucket list, but we may not get to it. Encourage us!

By the way, when you get to Page, you won't be too far from Mexican Hat, population 31, where we had our first blowout on the TM. Ah, memories! Make sure you have a good spare - or two.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote