TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Suggestions for Yuma?

My wife and I will attend a geocaching event in Yuma, AZ, and need a campground for three nights in mid-February. We prefer electric and water hookups, and either a sewer hookup on site or at least a dump station in the campground. Other than that, we are not fussy. We will spend most of our time either caching, attending the events, visiting the sights in the area, or sleeping, so campground amenities mean little to us. Suggestions? Where have you all stayed?

Yuma, of course, is real busy this time of year, so we are starting our search a little early. Thnaks for suggestions.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:10 AM   #2
Scottie Dogs

Hi -

I am sure you know about this site Bill, http://www.yumaevent.com/ but to be on the safe side here it is. Click on accommodations. I have never heard about this game, it sounds interesting. Have fun and when you come back, maybe you can do a little report on it?

Dave
Old 12-30-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Looks like a fun event Bill, we won't be that far west then so can't make it.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Beak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
My wife and I will attend a geocaching event in Yuma, AZ, and need a campground for three nights in mid-February. We prefer electric and water hookups, and either a sewer hookup on site or at least a dump station in the campground. Other than that, we are not fussy. We will spend most of our time either caching, attending the events, visiting the sights in the area, or sleeping, so campground amenities mean little to us. Suggestions? Where have you all stayed?

Yuma, of course, is real busy this time of year, so we are starting our search a little early. Thnaks for suggestions.

Bill
Morning,
My wife and I watched a PBS program on gocaching thought it might be fun. So after we got the stuff downloaded on our cell phones we when hunting. LOL There is/was a location about 3 block from where we live (In Balboa Park) we looked for two days, no luck. That month both my brother and sister and spouses came for dinner. We talked about this and so everyone went back to Balboa Park. NO LUCk. We tried three more places within 2 or3 blocks of the park. With six sets of eyes nothing was found. Gocaching was/is not for us. Hope you have a great time in Yuma.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie Dogs View Post
Hi -

I am sure you know about this site Bill, http://www.yumaevent.com/ but to be on the safe side here it is. Click on accommodations. I have never heard about this game, it sounds interesting. Have fun and when you come back, maybe you can do a little report on it?

Dave
Dave -

Thanks for the pointer. No, we weren't aware of it, having learned of the Yuma event only a few hours earlier - at a small annual geocaching bash on the near west side of Phoenix! Being retired has some advantages, among them being the ability to pull the TM out of the garage and go do something like this Yuma event on a whim.

You don't live far from us - you should come caching with us sometime. The Valley has hundreds of caches, some of them actually quite fun to go after.

As for a report on the event, I may do that. Of course, if we get into a thread on geocaching (and there are a number of cachers on TMO, so it could happen), it will need to go in the Off Topic area, since it really isn't campground-related.

Bill
Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beak12 View Post
Morning,
My wife and I watched a PBS program on gocaching thought it might be fun. So after we got the stuff downloaded on our cell phones we when hunting. LOL There is/was a location about 3 block from where we live (In Balboa Park) we looked for two days, no luck. That month both my brother and sister and spouses came for dinner. We talked about this and so everyone went back to Balboa Park. NO LUCk. We tried three more places within 2 or3 blocks of the park. With six sets of eyes nothing was found. Gocaching was/is not for us. Hope you have a great time in Yuma.
Beak12 -

Good for you for trying it! Smart phones aren't really the best tool for finding caches, though they will work. Balboa Park is an absolutely gorgeous location, with 75-100 caches hidden within the boundaries, so even if you didn't find the cache, you got outdoors and walked around. That is a large part of the allure, at least for us.

But urban caches can be discouraging, because they disappear on a regular basis. Non-cachers stumble across them, wonder what they are, and pocket the container. We prefer to get out of town, into the desert or the forest, for our searches. We have found caches on mountaintops, underwater, on a rock outcropping in the middle of a lake, and 200 feet into an abandoned hard-rock mine. We found a cache that had been dropped into the desert from an airplane flying at several thousand feet, which meant that its location was only loosely known. Under an arch in Utah. Hidden in a rusty tractor. Inside a Caddy at Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo. Needless to say, these don't disappear as often, and they are a lot more fun to go after (and hide!)

So don't give up, just because an urban cache was missing. Join us!

Bill
Old 12-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Beak12

As Bill said, smartphones aren't always a good GPS. You must remember to turn on the GPS applet itself, and not have your location determined by cell towers. I know my cell phone can be almost as accurate as my Garmin Oregon 450 GPS, but only if I have the GPS applet on, and allow about 3 minutes for the GPS to figure out where it is.

A stand-alone GPS unit has worked best for me, instead of the cell phone.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

We started caching about a year ago. A phone dies out fairly quickly so we got a garmin Colorado with a touch screen and are happy with all the functions (had to by a map chip separately)
Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
Beak12

This is a small list of of about 29 campgrounds that I found in my Good Sam web page. Some are "Resorts" and some like to use the title. LOL We have never camped in Yuma only stop for lunch on our way to Phoenix (Grandkids come first LOL)

I tried to make thsese a link but no luck

Beak12

Sun Vista RV Resort

. Westwind RV & Golf Resort

Cocopah Bend RV & Golf Resort

Caravan Oasis RV Resort/PMP

Del Pueblo RV Park And Tennis Resort/PMP

Desert Holiday RV Resort

Villa Alameda RV Resort

Cactus Gardens RV Resort/PMP
Old 01-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
Tampajohn

Bill, I read your post from a year ago and we plan on stopping on the way back so I can run over to Mexico to have some dental work done. Any suggestions from anyone would be helpful. Will be there in a couple of months.. John