TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2005, 01:17 PM   #1
jjneff

Default Why did you go RV over Time-share

There are lots of motels, B&B, Hotels, Condos, Time Shares ect... Now there are things that really attract me to the RV lifestyle that I haven't gotten into yet. Like my own food, bed, closer to nature,I do nature photography, campfires, people and a bit cheaper in the on season. I have done lots of figuring and find that going RV isn't really cheaper its just a certain way of life. Why and how did you get into it?? Would love to know
Old 09-30-2005, 05:19 PM   #2
BrigCA61

The freedom to go where I want to once I have my "base camp" set up at a fraction of the cost of lodging. Having your "own bed", your own cooking facilities (this saves money), a beautiful view, the ability to have a nice campfire under a blanket of stars right outside your door, not having a check-out time (on most mornings) and coffee and breakfast in my PJ's (yessss lol!!). I like getting closer to nature too! We also have two dogs (our children) which was a big reason why we went with our TM. Lodging just doesn't offer the flexibility and freedom we desired. Also, once you have your TM stocked, it's a matter of just a few clothes and food items to be packed rather then a whole suitcase of a whole variety of items, plus extras (saves time). For us, it's easier, cheaper and affords us more freedom and relaxation... all with the luxuries of home, and like you said, brings you closer to nature. We feel really spoiled owning a TM and we've done it all... lodging, tent camping, etc...
Old 09-30-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

WELL SAID THAT WHY I OWN TM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! THE RIP
Old 09-30-2005, 08:55 PM   #4
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Some people like to operate things; some don't. If I'm on a sailing cruise, I'm watching the crew, asking questions about handling the boat, taking a turn at the wheel or whatever I can do. My friend Jim is sitting in the shade, reading a book while hoping we get to a port soon, preferably one that has a USA today.

Some people are mechanically inclined; some aren't. I can grease the axles, air up the tires, change the light bulbs and do a few other things. Some of the others on this site could build one if they had the parts, and can (and have) maintain them and improve the factory design.

There's a lot to be said for camping (or trailering) and a lot to be said for letting somebody else do the work and pitching them the key. At today's fuel prices, it's clearly not any cheaper.

I think it's a lifestyle choice that only you can make. I tell people who ask that we just like campsites better than lobbies and there's not much else to say. We'd like a bigger shower and some things we will never have in a TM, but when we compare the whole package to the alternative we come down on the side of the TM.

In our case, it's a spare bedroom as well. When the grandkids come, they love to stay in it. When we visit the kids, or go to the farm, or to see quite a few of our friends, it's just easier to park the TM in the driveway or out behind the house and live there. Same amount of visitation and comraderie but with more privacy when it's nice to have it. I tend to think we may get more invitations because we're somewhat less intrusive, but maybe it's because of my personality and good looks. not.

You won't know for sure until you try, and there will be days that whatever decision you make will seem like a mistake. But there will be some that you will always remember. The only vacation pictures we have ever put on our wall are from a camping vacation on an island off the Washington coast in a pop-up with my parents in 1972.,

2003 3124KS drug by 2001 1500 2WD Suburban
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:40 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Where we like to go in the summer it would cost us about $150 - $250 a night for what we pay $18 a night for in the TM. We get a lakefront location with swimming beach, a place to park the BIL's boat, a nice yard, friendly neighbors, full cooking facilities, private bath, a separate bed for each of the kids, etc. And it doesn't cost us that much more in gas to take the TM, we get about 15 - 16 mpg towing. And, as was mentioned above, we have all of our belongings with us and can also take our cat. I tried for about 2 weeks to find a motel in LA that would take a cat (luckily DH stayed home with her) when we went to the King Tut exhibit, everyone wanted $25 per night extra just for having a pet in the room. I figure even if we were to sell the TM for $7,000 (and there's no way that I would) tomorrow, it's cost us about $70 per night including the extra gas, insurance, license, new tires, etc. (and we won't sell it for years and years). So I feel that we're really ahead financially, even at this point. The cost per night will just keep going down and down every year as the depreciation slows.

I've been really happy to check into a motel occasionally; this past summer after dry camping for about a week I took the kids to Oregon and stayed in a motel and was REALLY glad to have a bathroom with lots of water and electricity, but we were also glad to be back at the campsite. We like going to places where there aren't a lot of motels or other lodging besides camping.

Sure we could just bring along a tent, done that, like the TM a lot better, and we are both really glad that we bought it. However, we did buy ours used, so we paid roughly 40% of what a new one costs. I really believe that with rising gas prices the TM's will hold their value better and better. The cost really depends on how much you'll be using it.

We have never regretted our purchase once. We actually enjoy it more and more every time we use our TM.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:29 AM   #6
BrigCA61

B&D, where is this location you like to go to in the summer? You made a great point that I forgot to mention... we too are in N. CA. and when we considered buying the TM because it suited our recreational endeavors/lifestyle, I immediately thought of the beneifits, primarily that I wanted to spend more time along the coast. You are right, anything there is between $150 & $250 a night, so for us that is out of the question. We have camped at Olema Ranch Campground several times. They are a very friendly, family-oriented campground with reasonable fees and very conveniently located to Point Reyes Nat'l Seashore. Not only is there not enough lodging in the area, but there are very few campgrounds with full-hookups (I think Bodega Bay is the nearest). We try to get out there as often as we can. The Northern California coast is one of the most spectacular in the world and I feel so fortunate that I can spend several days there in my TM when otherwise it would definately be out of our range of afforability. Besides, it's only about a 1 1/2 hour easy drive for us.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:39 AM   #7
BrigCA61

Default TM retaining it's value while gas prices continue to skyrocket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D
I really believe that with rising gas prices the TM's will hold their value better and better.
My thoughts exactly!!!! Even fully loaded, I was astonished at the great gas mileage the TM affords! I feel so sorry for full-time newly retired RVers who have waited their whole life to go RVing (with their big diesel pushers & 5th wheels) and are now stuck with high gas prices and worse, no one to sell to should the decide to bail.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:42 AM   #8
calypso

Why did you go RV over Time-share? We didn't -- we have both!!! Our timeshare is good for a couple of weeks a year and the TM is good for all those long weekends. For us it's a good combination. Also, we'd have to get on a plane to use the timeshare. With the TM, we can just drive a couple of hours and be at either the coast or the mountains (depending on which way we go). I feel very fortunate to have the best of both worlds and hope our family can enjoy them for a really long time.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:27 PM   #9
Windbreaker

That's easy, all those lodging places are mostly in cities or at the least Towns. I like country! Thus camping, or RVing. Going to a city is work for me, a vacation is what happens out side the city.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:06 PM   #10
Glenn in TN

There have been some good replies, but I don't think I've seen this one:

Kids!

Our kids may never camp when they grow up - I did, but my wife didn't. but at least they have had the chance. We have done hotels some. We did a trip to Pigeon Forge, TN for the Wildlife Wilderness Week last January. The weather turned out to be very warm for the Smokies in winter, but we didn't want to take the chance. The Music Road Hotel was very reasonable since it was off season. But when we weren't doing some of the hikes or seminars, the kids were in front of the TV! I know that would be how all of our vacations would go. When we camp, there's always a sunrise/sunset, walk, stream to fish, lake to swim or boat, fire to build, marshmellow to roast (or marsh as they called it as tots "Mom - lets marsh some marshmellows"), etc. They are doing things! Plus we usually go to state or national parks where they learn from some very good rangers about nature. Plus if we ever desire to get out of RVing, we have a trailer we can sell. Depending on how you buy them (always go with used!), you'll end up with much more done and much more money as you can't sell your hotel stays and probably can't give a timeshare away!

Matter of fact, if our kids go on vacation with us when they grow up, they'll camp!