TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #21
PopBeavers

I would never run the TM fridge on propane when it is closed. I would never run a fride on propane in any popup that is closed. Perhaps that is just me. While towing I run it on 12 volts, and start out with it cold.

If I stop for more than 15 minutes then I disconnect the TM from the truck and disconnect the pair of batteries on the TM, I added a switch.

The fridge will stay plenty cold long enough for a dinner stop, even with no power.

If I were to stop overnight at a motel, I would pop it open and switch to propane while it was open.

The TM has a fan, like a computer case fan, that helps move the heat out of the back side of the fridge when the TM is closed, it vents out the bottom. Some of us also use it when it is very hot out, 85+.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:11 PM   #22
Traveler

Yep, the venting is a pain.

However, we never had trouble with battery drain even after several hours. Besides, if we were going to leave the HiLo/Vehicle, we just raised the thing, (used the potty), started the fridge on gas, or switched to internal trailer battery (disconnect tow vehicle plug) and were happy.

I do agree that venting would be appreciated - but really, we never had hassles with the fridge.
Good luck
Traveler
Old 07-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #23
rtry9a

Id like to see a 32' HI-Lo get 18+mpg @ 75mph (5.4L F-250); a huge advantage in these days of $4-5 gasoline.

You might try cooling, while traveling, with a block of dry ice wrapped in newspaper/towel... works great w/no chance of depleting your battery or fire.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #24
PopBeavers

I re-read the recent posts regarding running the fridge on propane while the shells are closed.

I can not figure out why anyone would want to do that. Can you clarify the problem that you are trying to solve? There may be other solutions.

I have 4 different configurations that I run:

1. If I have shore power I use 110 volts.
2. If I am popped open in camp with no shore power I use propane.
3. When towing I use 12 volts. My TV puts out more than enough poser to both run the fridge and charge the pair of group 24 batteries.
4. This is my unusual configuration. When I am loading up the weekend before a trip and I wan to pre-pack as much as possible, I put non perishable items in the TM fridge, set it to 12 volts, park it in the garage and flip the switch to disconnect the batteries. On Wednesday, I reconnect the batteries and plug in to shore power. This allows me to unplug from shore power, hook up and leave. The fridge is plenty cold and is running on 12 volts. I can not see any advantage to opening the shells after I pull it out of the garage and switching to propane.

Clarly I am not seeing this the same way as others. Why propane on the road? The TMs are a 3-way fridge. TTs and MHs that only have a 2-way fridge would be a different situation.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:42 PM   #25
shunter917
Site Sponsor

I know some people have had problems with their TV battery being drained while stopped on the road when the TM fridge was running on battery. We never had that problem. We stayed overnight in a motel one time, so I popped the TM open, switched it to propane and closed it up. Reversed it in the morning and we were ready to roll.
shunter917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #26
boater454

I know this is a 2 year old thread but thought I'd throw in my $.02. I grew up with a 1989 19' Hi-Lo that my family took from Ohio to California 5 times behind a 1985 1/2 ton Chevy conversion van with a 305 V-8. It was underpowered in the mountains. I now have a 1997 TM 2518 that I pull with a 2007 Didage Grand Caravan V-6 or a 2003 1/2 ton Chevy Avalanche. My biggest reason for switching to to TM was less weight so I could pull it with my van. A few things I like better about the Hi-Lo: You can crawl in and grab stuff without putting it up. If you do need to put it up it only takes 20 seconds. The interior seemed to be a higher quality with better windows. More water storage - 40 gal fresh water. Dual axle is a plus and a minus better for a blowout but more weight and maintenance and cost for replacement tires.

Obviously I like the weight of the TM better and I like the 2 permanent beds. The Hi-Lo had a pull out couch, fold down bunk and dinette.

As of July 2010 Hi-Lo is out of business so don't know if they'll be available in the future.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #27
larsdennert

HiLo was innovative when it came out. A good concept that never evolved. Had it progressed, it may have been something like this http://www.safaricondo.com/alto/1723/indexeng.php
If it were just my wife and I, we would get one of these. Lighter to tow and easier to setup.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #28
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdennert View Post
HiLo was innovative when it came out. A good concept that never evolved. Had it progressed, it may have been something like this http://www.safaricondo.com/alto/1723/indexeng.php
If it were just my wife and I, we would get one of these. Lighter to tow and easier to setup.
That is cool!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #29
rothko1

I would have loved to look at the safari alto, but it's not available in the US last I checked. Love the layout.
Jim
Old 08-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #30
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Over the years...researching HiLos and Tm's I found two interesting HiLos on line. One was a toy hauler and the other was a 5th wheel. I found them interesting but they were so old my dh did not feel it was worth the drive.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote