TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2002, 01:40 PM   #11
hal

Default Re: TrailManor refrigerator concern

We have decided that the more the refrigerator is filled, the less efficient it is.  Things on the door will be barely cool, not ice cold like you like your sodas.  This is probably because the air circulation efficiency is lowered.  Being that the cold comes from the top of the refrigerator, food packages block prevent the colder air currents from reaching the bottom and door area.  We bought a small fan (about three inches tall and about three inches around) from Camping world (about $12.00?). Its color is pale blue aand it  runs on two d cell batteries.  The batteries are supposedly good for 600? hours. The fan is so small that you can barely feel it working.  We placed it on the bottom shelf.  Whenever we are not using the refrigerator (between campouts) we pull the batteries.  The batteries are still good after a six months use.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:56 PM   #12
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
...However, wife says that the refrig is "inadequate." She says it won't hold enough and to load or unload you have to kneel on the floor. How do you owners out there contend with the small refrig at floor level. [/b]
After 3 years and 16,000 miles in a TM, I will confirm what others have said, the fridge is adequate for 2 people for 5-7 days, between grocery store stops, depending on your preferences for food. We carried milk, OJ, eggs, butter, meat (ground round & chicken) most condiments that require refrigeration, etc. We traveled; we are not weekend campers. We carried lots of packaged & canned foods to supplement the fresh foods.

Unless you are particularly tall (we are 5'10 & 5'9&quot the bending was not a problem. The only time I was on my knees was when I lit the propane pilot after we set up... oh, when I changed from 110 VAC to 12 VDC for travel, too.

The wife was on her knees while packing the fridge, but rarely while we were traveling.  Most items are handy to reach by bending at the waist.

Good luck.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:35 PM   #13
tipper

I'm a TM lover, like most persons here.  And moving up from tent camping, having a refrigerator is our greatest single improvement.

We can all say that the TM refrigerator is adequate and that we all  know tricks on maximizing its utility but when one sees other refers available in conventional RVs in the TM price class, the first post can be appreciated.  

I get by with the TM refer but the fridge size is definitely limiting factor on every trip whenever food and drink are considered.  A larger fridge is highly desirable.

Old 11-10-2002, 07:01 AM   #14
Windbreaker

I had never pulled a trailer of any type before the TM but if a newbe like me can pull something and all but forget it is there that makes a few trade-offs worth it.

I agree the fridge is small and I would really like much large holding tanks, black water for sure, but I can and will continue to live with what we have for the ease in towing. Without unlimited funds we all have to make trade offs, my limited experence in towing is what sold me. If you have towed full sized rigs before and are at ease with them maybe that is the way to go.

One other thing you might wish to consider is the type of travel you plan on doing. For me it is 150 miles just to the next town so gas usage was a biggie. We also wanted to see all of the USA and thinking about that many miles and the 4 or 5 mpg difference in a big rig and the TM sure enough locked it in.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:42 AM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Bill,

How long did you run your thermo electric cooler on the battery without having AC power?
Tipper -

Any way you cut it, refrigeration is a power hog. The refrig in the TM draws about 10 amps at 12 volts DC. The TE refrig, being about the same size, probably draws about the same. Either one would suck your battery flat in less than a day if you let it. That's why the TM refrig has a propane setting - to spare the battery. The TE refrig has no propane setting, of course, so I put it in the way-back of the Explorer each day and plugged it into the aux power (cigarette lighter) outlet back there. (It has a nice long cord.) As we drove around seeing the sights, it was powered by the car's electrical system. If we parked the car and went somewhere for 3 or 4 hours, there was no problem with it drawing down the car battery. But if we were going to be out for, say, 12 hours, I was careful to unplug it, despite the fact that the Explorer is supposed to cut off these outlets automatically if the battery voltage drops too much.

Short answer - if you don't have AC power, a TE refrig is not a magic solution. You can't just plug it into the TM battery and leave it. But put it in the car for a few hours each day, and keep the TM refrig on propane, and you're good to go.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 08:26 AM   #16
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Tipper -

Any way you cut it, refrigeration is a power hog. The refrig in the TM draws about 10 amps at 12 volts DC. The TE refrig, being about the same size, draws about the same. Either one would suck your battery flat in less than a day if you let it ...

Bill
The thermo-electric (TE) refrigerator actually draws 5 amps, only half of my earlier estimate. The TM refrig, unfortunately, still draws 10 amps.

Bill
Old 11-11-2002, 08:35 AM   #17
tipper

Bill,

Yes I agree.

This is why I earlier said one needs to have AC power to run a TE cooler.  You apparently misunderstood why I said this.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:11 AM   #18
Bill
Site Team

OK, re Thermoelectric (T-E) coolers, it looks like I have caused some confusion, and I regret that. Let me sum it up, and then back out of the topic altogether.

1. A T-E cooler operates on 12 VDC. Period.

2. Like all refrigerators, a T-E cooler requires a fair amount of power. If you just plug it into a fully charged TM battery, it will use half the battery capacity in about 6 hours. For longer periods than that, you should have an outside source of power to run the cooler and recharge the battery.

3. If you have AC power available, this is a great source of outside power to handle the situation.
a) You can plug the AC power into the TM, and let the trailer's converter recharge the TM battery and run the cooler.
b) Or, if your T-E cooler has an AC adapter (usually optional at extra cost), you can plug the adapter into AC and run the cooler from that.

4. If you don't have AC power available, an equally good source of outside power is the tow vehicle.
a) You can plug the tow vehicle into the TM for a while and let it recharge the TM battery and run the T-E cooler.
b) Or, you can plug the T-E cooler directly into the tow vehicle's accessory power (cigarette lighter) outlet.
Of course, in either case the tow vehicle engine must be running, so taking the cooler along on a day's outing is a good way to keep the cooler cold, and also to have a supply of cold drinks and sandwiches with you as you explore.

5. If you are dry camping for an extended period, and don't want to run the tow vehicle at any time, the T-E cooler will not actively cool your food and drinks. It is still a good, well-insulated passive cooler. Use blue ice.

Last summer we ran a T-E cooler for 10 days straight, WITH access to AC power each day. It worked great. Then we ran the T-E cooler for 10 days straight, WITHOUT access to AC power, using method 4b. It also worked great. Then we did another 10 days WITH AC again. You use what you have.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Bill
Old 11-13-2002, 07:17 AM   #19
KB7OUR

We bought a Koolmate 40 T-E cooler by Igloo from Target, along with the AC converter. As Bill noted, these are really neat coolers to supplement the TM fridge. I was amazed how much ice and/or ice packs we would place into our big ice chest just to keep everything cold for a day. With the T-E cooler we have gained all that extra "ice" space for food items. Also keeps food warm if you reverse the polarity on the plug. We're very pleased with our unit and would recommend it to others as a very convenient way to supplement the TM fridge. It makes a nice staging area when we make a stop at a grocery store and don't want to open up the TM to get to the fridge. Once we're at the campground then we can relocate food items.

Wade  
Old 11-14-2002, 02:15 AM   #20

I want to thank all of you for your responses to my query .  Wife says that with the TE cooler - TM might be "manageable."

Like everyone, I find the TrailManors are NOT cheap.  Has anyone found a dealer that has TMs in their rental program?  I sure would like to try one before spending $23,000 plus.

Thanks again,

Vic