TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-18-2005, 04:48 AM   #1
hugoscheuer

Default Noisy Converter

My converter emits a hum, similar to a loud flourescent light fixture, or when an ark welder's converter loads when the rod touches the metal it is working to. It buzzes at about 1 minute intervals for about 30 seconds. It even does it when there is no DC amperage drain, at night.
Has anyone had this experience, and if so, what it the symptom of???

Thanks

Hugo
Old 12-18-2005, 05:29 AM   #2
BobRederick

Hugo

My OEM Magnetec 6325 did not make any sound that I could hear except for the running fan (note the caviot -that I could hear). Do you hear the fan run once in a while? If not, it may be blocked by a wire or have failed resulting in it buzzing.

I replaced my OEM with a Progressive Dynamics PD9160 and that unit has the same characteristic. Newer models of the PD9160 (same part number) have a variable speed fan that runs slowly at lower loads and faster at high loads. It still stops and starts as needed.

Perhaps you should tell us which converter you have by brand and model. The newer TMs have a different brand that I am unfamiliar with.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:59 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The fan may have gotten a bit loose, so that it buzzes against its mounts when it turns on.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #4
hugoscheuer

Default Noisy Converter

I have a parallax converter. The fan noise, which is not intrusive at all, runs constantly throughout this other buzzing.
I suspect it is a function of the charger, as it sounds quite like my stand alone battery charger when it is set to 30 amps or "start".
I added a full bulb from a battery kit, to each cell of the battery. If the battery would not fully charge as a result of low cells, it may cause the charger to cycle. I shall have to see it it cures after the battery has a chance to fully charge again.

Let you all know how it turns out.

Hugo
Old 12-18-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Well, it still sounds like something may be a bit loose. The transformers in old radios will hum if the mounting screws aren't fully torqued down. You may have the same kind of thing going on here - there is a big transformer in the converter. The idea is not difficult to confirm or deny. Just pull the converter out of the wall (the brown cover is held in place with 4 screws, IIRC, and then the converter itself with two screws). When the humming starts, push on the transformer with a WOODEN OR PLASTIC stick - NO METAL!

Bottom line - there should not be an obnoxious hum. Good luck.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote