TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-03-2016, 09:31 PM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
Yes, the dinette is a little (6", I believe) longer when converted to a bed. The couch has arms, which encroach into the sleeping length.
Just as a note. In my SL model, the couch arms are removable, so they don't encroach on the sleeping length. The couch is still not generously long - our 6' son let me know that after sleeping one night on a cramped diagonal. But the couch arms are not the problem.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:14 PM   #12
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

We recently bought the 2720SD, and we both were not sure what we wanted, looked at both and we came to the conclusion the dinette was the better choice
as we do play cards and board games and a tv can still be in view. Plus the wife actually slept on the dinette made into the bed one night and then she tried it at half the size and she was very pleased not having to climb over me on the bed or wake me . So i am biased towards the SD.

Not to mention the storage under the dinette seats

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #13
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

As Bill mentioned, I too think the SL is the ideal floor plan for 2 adults or 2 adults + 1 kid. We have camped numerous times with both sets of people, and find it perfect. On the other hand, we have also camped with a total of 4 adults, and the SL, while possible, is WAY too crowded during sleeping. I know ThePair has 2 kids, which he comfortably sleeps on a set of bunk beds he installs over the couch, but I don't think they would support 2 adults.

With 3 - playing games in the SL is no problem, and neither is eating. Two people on the couch and one in the chair. With 4 (plus a dog) -- we've used a camp chair next to the arm chair, and while not ideal, it was quite adequate, maybe even comfortable. Nothing compared to the unpleasantness of sleeping 4.

If camping with 4 is to be the exception rather than the rule, I think the SD or SL would probably be fine. But if it's the rule, I wouldn't choose either one -- I'd focus on the 2720 (with 2 full-time beds and a convertible dinette), or preferably, the 3023, which is basically a 2720 with longer dinette seats (which also converts to a larger bed).

We have no TV in our TM, and rarely use the radio. We always carry wine though.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #14
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I have no TV in my TM also. I do have a 27" monitor and a tuner.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:35 PM   #15
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Hi Neil

The best thing to do is try both of them and really think about how you use your camper the most.

When I first was looking I was 100% sure that I wanted a SD model. I would sit at my dinette all the time in my popup reading the paper, eating, etc.

after buying my 2720SD and using it the first summer, I didn't like that the dinette was attached to the trailer. I am not a tiny person so it wasn't comfortable squeezing into it, and trying to access the overhead cabinets, well forget it. Yes I am lazy and don't want to fold the table down to access the cabinets. And there is always lots of stuff on the table.

So I started to think that in my next TM I would probably get the couch instead. Plus I found I was eating most meals outside.

Then I had the brilliant idea to do a table mod to convert it to a free standing table. Since I did that I once again LOVE having the dinette.

It was extra nice when we had very cold and rainy weather for 11 of 14 days last August. I spent a lot of time at the dinette reading newspapers, playing on my iPad, and eating meals. I don't have a tv so that doesn't matter.

Also as someone else mentioned you can look out the windows much easier in the dinette model, and the table is larger if you have multiple people, and for games etc.

But it really boils down to personal preference and how you camp and how many you share your camper with. My 2720SD is just the right size for me and the dog. I could share with one more person but wouldn't want more than that for an extended period.

Here is the mod I did...

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ight=Table+mod

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:50 PM   #16
NorCalKid

Smile

TM Forum,
This is the first forum I have joined, and I'm really glad I did!
There were great suggestions from everyone, including camp chairs, a small folding table for the chair, and removable couch arms on the SL, to seat mods/supports and a table mod for the SD.
I even learned, after a google search, what a "gripping hand" is.
I sincerely appreciate your input, and could now feel comfortable with either model.
Thanks again for your time and specific suggestions.
Neil
NorCalKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #17
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
As Bill mentioned, I too think the SL is the ideal floor plan for 2 adults or 2 adults + 1 kid. We have camped numerous times with both sets of people, and find it perfect. On the other hand, we have also camped with a total of 4 adults, and the SL, while possible, is WAY too crowded during sleeping. I know ThePair has 2 kids, which he comfortably sleeps on a set of bunk beds he installs over the couch, but I don't think they would support 2 adults.

With 3 - playing games in the SL is no problem, and neither is eating. Two people on the couch and one in the chair. With 4 (plus a dog) -- we've used a camp chair next to the arm chair, and while not ideal, it was quite adequate, maybe even comfortable. Nothing compared to the unpleasantness of sleeping 4.

If camping with 4 is to be the exception rather than the rule, I think the SD or SL would probably be fine. But if it's the rule, I wouldn't choose either one -- I'd focus on the 2720 (with 2 full-time beds and a convertible dinette), or preferably, the 3023, which is basically a 2720 with longer dinette seats (which also converts to a larger bed).

We have no TV in our TM, and rarely use the radio. We always carry wine though.

Dave
+1 on this!

2 adults + 2 kids (and now 2 puppies!) = wanting to maximize floor space. The couch does this, especially if you get rid of the lounge chair, as I did. We use a camp chair when eating/sitting inside. The extra floor space was our greatest concern.

As to the bunk beds, I'm not sure if they'll hold an adult, I've not tried it yet. One adult can always sleep on the couch/pulled out bed, as that is still stock, but it's not the most comfortable sleep (in fact, it's not great at all for adults, IMO, but for kids it's fine). The upper bunk is rated to hold adult weight, the question is more if the table frames will hold up--and they can be reinforced if I ever wanted to go that route. I figure, by the time the kids are old enough to worry, they're going to be in a tent...

The tradeoffs have been well-described above, plus one addition: the dinette has more storage, at the expense of floor space.

It becomes a personal decision as to priorities. The most important thing is to really figure out what you need, then enjoy! Most of this stuff is modifiable, anyway, so we just keep tinkering and improving...
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #18
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I have wondered about placing a full length bed above the sofa on a SL creating someing like a Beechcraft Staggerwing. The issue would be what to do with it when open and using the sofa. Fold up over the window maybe ?
Old 01-08-2016, 08:33 AM   #19
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

"what to do with it when open and using the sofa"

Put it on the floor in front of the slide? I have carpet on my floor, so it could go under the carpet. Put any padding/bedding on the rear bed. This assumes there is only one person napping on the rear bed during the day.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #20
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Would need to go lengthwise since the TM above the split is several inches wider than below. Was thinking maybe on floor in transit and above rear of couch when open.