TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
Redhawk

Default Do I need a sway bar for the Elkmont?

I'm picking up a used Elkmont next week, I have a WDH and was wondering if I need an anti sway bar to get it home. We'll be driving across Kansas. I will most likely get one later, but want to be safe getting it home. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
TM_Matt

Have you thought about an Equalizer - WDH and anti-sway in one. I used to pull a 27' TT and a 20 foot toy hauler. Had the anti-sway bar on both but only once experienced conditions where it would be mandatory. I quit using it despite that some would consider it mandatory. I'd also say it depends on the rig. I'm pulling with a long bed, full size truck. With a smaller or shorter vehicle, I'd always have anti-sway.

Harbor Freight has an ok bar and it's easy to install if you have the drill bits. However, I'd try to negotiate that into the deal if you're working with a dealer.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
I'm picking up a used Elkmont next week, I have a WDH and was wondering if I need an anti sway bar to get it home. We'll be driving across Kansas. I will most likely get one later, but want to be safe getting it home. Thanks!
With a Toyota Tundra, I would say no sway bar is needed. The Elkmont has a pretty high tongue weight (~600#) and it's quite a distance from the hitch ball to the trailer axles; think all that helps with sway.

Have towed with a Tacoma and F150 and have never needed one. And that's with P-rated tires too (not LT, Light Truck).

But, I would drive it home without one and see how it goes.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
Redhawk

Default I now know the answer...

Well, I can pretty much answer my own question now. We brought the Elkmont home Wednesday. A total of 665 miles one way. It was a lot of driving in a 2 day period. Towing the Elkmont through southeast Kansas on state hwys was no problem, but when we made that turn west onto I-70 into a 30-45 MPH gusting head wind everything changed. I was fine at 55 - 60 MPH until a semi would pass me, then it was white knuckle city! NO FUN! It lasted for about 250 miles before the wind dropped into the 20 mph range. Bottom line is that I bought an anti sway device today while they were on sale at Camping World. I may not need it all the time, but I DO NOT want to go through that again. The Elkmont has a lot I like over the pop up models, but ease of towing is not one of them. Also, I should add that my WDH was not set up optimaly for the Elkmont. I use a WDH with airbags, I was able to level the Elkmont, but the tail end of the Tundra was higher than normal. I'm not sure how much effect this had on the handling, but I'm sure it didn't help
Old 05-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
brulaz

Quote:
... into a 30-45 MPH gusting head wind everything changed. I was fine at 55 - 60 MPH until a semi would pass me, then it was white knuckle city! NO FUN!
I've noticed this also. It's not the high wind so much as the bus/truck blocking it (or something) as it passes you. The high wind by itself or the bus/truck by itself is much less noticeable

Quote:
Also, I should add that my WDH was not set up optimaly for the Elkmont. I use a WDH with airbags, I was able to level the Elkmont, but the tail end of the Tundra was higher than normal. I'm not sure how much effect this had on the handling, but I'm sure it didn't help
With my Tacoma, it was necessary to completely eliminate the truck's front fender rise with the WDH to reduce sway. I actually ended putting extra weight on the front wheels with the WDH giving the rig a well "planted" feeling. Then there was only a bit of a nudge, especially under the conditions you described. Nothing too serious. But I can imagine that a whole day of it would be difficult.

With my F150, I've ditched the WDH completely and really can't notice any difference. There's little or no sway at all.

Maybe your airbags should only be used/inflated when hauling your cycle?
EDIT: Or am I mixing you up with RVCycleGuy?

And if you're hauling an empty trailer, I imagine the tongue weight is as low as it can get. Mine is ~580-620, depending, which probably helps a lot with sway.

And congrats on your new trailer. It will be good to have another Elkmont owner on the board.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Redhawk

Thanks Bruce, I think you hit 2 very important items that should change things a bit. Not using the airbags unless I am carrying the ATV, I think it was a BIG mistake using them, but i had to with the WDH not setup correctly, also towing an empty trailer.

We're taking it out in a couple weeks, so that will all be addressed by then. I'll report back.

Thanks for the congrats on the Elkmont, I get the feeling that some don't really consider the Elk a TM, it obviously doesn't popup, but it still has the TM ultralight character to me.....It suits us well, but not a family of 6. LOL
Old 05-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
brulaz

Quote:
... it still has the TM ultralight character to me ...
Exactly. I keep looking at other trailers and have yet to find one as small (24') and light weight (4000# and less fully loaded) with all the features and layout of the Elkmont.

I think our favorite part is the kitchen because doing our own cooking when travelling is one of the main reasons we have a trailer:
- relatively big kitchen counter with lots of storage
- big frig/freezer
- stove as well as microwave
Most other trailers this size have kitchens designed for weekend campers that spend all their time outside with a Bar-B-Q.

But we also like the nice bath/toilet area and the walk around bed with storage underneath.

We live in the trailer for 6-8 weeks at a time in Florida, and it really has been an good home away from home for us.