TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
P and B

Default Living in mine

I took a new job in another state and have been living in my 3124KS since last October. For me, it's comfortable enough but you can't have much in the way of toys. The small refrigerator is a total pain since you can store very little in it and, if you do cook, there's no place to put left overs. As for the weather, I have been fine down into the teens but I use two 5000btu electric heaters and use the furnace as backup. The little 20lb tanks don't last long using the heater and mine are under a slideout so I removed them and set them on the ground.

I haven't move and that's key. I think if you moved a lot- even once a week, the TM might get a little old since it takes a while to get everything ready to go. Maybe all trailers are like that. If you moved three or four times a year then I'd say it wasn't an issue.

Bathroom gets a little small too ;-)
Old 02-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
Beak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorlock View Post
Maybe a repeat? I'm planning for full time RVing for retirement. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience doing this? I was concerned with bed comfort, and day to day use as opposed to weekend use. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill
As you can see from our signiture block we did a lot of RV living. But because of health reasons we sold the Class A. After a few month my wife said lets try a trailer. The first one was a TM 2720SL. We now have a Elkmont 24 and we got the model with the hide-a-bed couch. Which has worked out OK. They had not made the Elkmont 26 at the time. For long stays at one place I would want the 26 or the 24 with the Hide-a-bed. But if my arms and back were good I would go for the 2720SL there was something about coming home from -whatever-and streatch out on the couch reading and watching my wife in the recliner reading and planning the next days adventures. Great life--we kept our condo and rented it out so we had some extra money. I say go for it---you can always pack up and go home.
PS: Our 2720SL was used (04) and I think it had the factory mattress which both my wife and I loved. Slept great. But we like firm.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
Scottie Dogs

Here is a website that every TM owner should go thru. http://www.movinon.net/ This couple is JUST amazing, now years latter they live in our community. I subscribed to there news letter for so many years ago and I have the 2 books they wrote about full timing.

Even if it is not your CUP of tea it is very interesting how some people REALLY love this life style... ENJOY and LEARN things from the people that did this first hand for so many years. TONS of information HERE!!! 14 years on the full time circuit, my dream!!!

Dave
Old 02-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
Joseph

Default I like the TM but...

I enjoy our TM. Don't get me wrong. But for full timing more is better. Also, go with a company that makes RV's for full time use. I am a member of Northwoods forum as well and if I ever get to be Blessed enough to full time it would be in one of their products. Artic Fox to be specific. Look at how they are built. Compare that with how our TM's are built. I could even go so far as to say that comparing a TM to any real full time RV is trying to compare apples to oranges. They are built different as they each have different goals they are trying to accomplish. I do like my TM and plan to keep it for a long time yet... And everyone has an opinion on what it takes to full time. I just think that if one is going to go that route one should start with a RV that is designed for that. IMHO the TM is not.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
PopBeavers

My brother has a Montana 5th wheel. After having one with a double slide he traded it in for a triple slide.

He says it is big enough for him to full time. His wife says otherwise.

They take trips for 2 to 3 months at a time.

They mostly go where it is not raining. If you were camping where it was raining then you would be inside more often.

I have seen the cabin where Mark twain lived when he was near Sonora CA. Any room of my house, other than the bathrooms, is larger than that cabin.

Some people need more space than others.

Could you live in space that was the size of a modern kitchen?

Could you live in a space that was drafty and not well insulated?

If you can travel and follow the sun that would help.

If I was full timing I would want the biggest I could afford. My wife and I have filled a 2300 square foot house after the two kids left. In a TM, where would I put my 65 inch 3D TV with surround sound?