TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
b&pcamping

Default cover recommendation ?

We're only a few days away from purchase of a 2006 TM2619, and I'd like to find a cover for it for storage. Is there a recommendation you all can give, or is keeping it covered unnecessary? Any other advise you might have for what to do for outside storage would be great too. Can't wait to take it out for our first trip!!

Thanks,
Bruce & Paula
Old 01-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Are you storing open or closed? We have an ADCO cover and store ours open. Our first one lasted 4 years, just bought a new one.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
b&pcamping

Thank you B and D,
I'm not sure what way I'm going to store it. I was thinking closed. I've read some post about both ways. What's the reason you store yours open? Is one way more advantagous than another? Since you've just purchased another cover can you tell me which one you bought. Size or type.

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 01-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We store ours open because we can. I don't see any reason to close it down when we get home, it's nice to be able to get in and out of it any time I want, and sometimes we sleep out there (like last week when my daughter invited 5 other 21-year-olds to spend the night, I was ready for bed at 10 p.m. and the giggling was just getting started). I go out there at least once every couple of weeks just to check things out, get something, or ? We get digital TV reception out there that we don't get at the house, even with the Winegard TV antenna folded down onto the roof and under the cover. I was out there today several times, and yesterday several times.

We recently replaced our old one, and bought the ADCO Tyvek 24-26' cover, #27903000 per the receipt, it was $244.99 with the President's Club discount. They say to buy one (if I recall correctly) 2 feet longer than your trailer. Our trailer is (I believe) almost 24' open and the cover roof overlaps our roof on each end. It's plenty big. When we put the cover on we tuck the door flap underneath the roof, flat out across towards the other side. What I neglected to do with this new cover was to tie cords onto the door flap so that I can pull it down flat from the other side. I tried rolling the door flap up, first just by itself, and then with a PVC pipe rolled up inside, but it works best to just tuck it up under the roof.

I have a new way of protecting the corners with styrofoam pieces that I get when this lady has her medicine delivered to our office in a thick styrofoam cooler. I first used to tape them on, but that left gummy stuff all over the trailer. Now I just use that green "twisty-tie" wire that comes on a roll and tie on the corners using the outside hardware on the TM. No more gummy stuff and it's easy to reuse the twisty-ties. We also put the cover on by first closing down the TM, it's much easier that way. Even with the care we've taken to cover up the sharp edges on the corners (my '97 probably has more sharp edges than a 2006 does) we went through the patch kit that came with the first one and 2 additional patch kits. The guy at Camping World said that the covers only last most people 2 years.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

B&P -

B&D may be our experts in the area of covers - they have had lots of experience and posted quite a bit of it. In addition, if you use the Advanced Search tool on the term "ADCO", you will find lots of discussion.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:21 AM   #6
P and B

We have an Adco cover that we got when we bought the unit. There was no discussion about open or closed storage at the time so we're kind of stuck with it closed. I'd love to have it open like B&D does. One big benefit of having it open and going in and out of it, is your presence keeps the mice out. I had mice last year so I now take precautions to keep them at bay.

Another reason for us to keep it closed is that, in our neighborhood, we're not really supposed to have big "thing" in our driveways. Ours is at the bottom of a hill so it's not really visible from neighboring houses. Nevertheless, with a steely gray cover- closed- it's almost un-noticeable.

I'd keep it open if I could.

Phil
Old 01-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
Larry Gault

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
We store ours open because we can. I don't see any reason to close it down when we get home, it's nice to be able to get in and out of it any time I want, and sometimes we sleep out there (like last week when my daughter invited 5 other 21-year-olds to spend the night, I was ready for bed at 10 p.m. and the giggling was just getting started). I go out there at least once every couple of weeks just to check things out, get something, or ? We get digital TV reception out there that we don't get at the house, even with the Winegard TV antenna folded down onto the roof and under the cover. I was out there today several times, and yesterday several times.

We recently replaced our old one, and bought the ADCO Tyvek 24-26' cover, #27903000 per the receipt, it was $244.99 with the President's Club discount. They say to buy one (if I recall correctly) 2 feet longer than your trailer. Our trailer is (I believe) almost 24' open and the cover roof overlaps our roof on each end. It's plenty big. When we put the cover on we tuck the door flap underneath the roof, flat out across towards the other side. What I neglected to do with this new cover was to tie cords onto the door flap so that I can pull it down flat from the other side. I tried rolling the door flap up, first just by itself, and then with a PVC pipe rolled up inside, but it works best to just tuck it up under the roof.

I have a new way of protecting the corners with styrofoam pieces that I get when this lady has her medicine delivered to our office in a thick styrofoam cooler. I first used to tape them on, but that left gummy stuff all over the trailer. Now I just use that green "twisty-tie" wire that comes on a roll and tie on the corners using the outside hardware on the TM. No more gummy stuff and it's easy to reuse the twisty-ties. We also put the cover on by first closing down the TM, it's much easier that way. Even with the care we've taken to cover up the sharp edges on the corners (my '97 probably has more sharp edges than a 2006 does) we went through the patch kit that came with the first one and 2 additional patch kits. The guy at Camping World said that the covers only last most people 2 years.

B&D,
Did you buy your cover at the store or have it shipped. I looked on their web site and that size is $289.99 with free shipping using president's club membership. How long ago did you get that price. I want to order one but want the best price I can get.
Larry
Old 01-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Check these out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ADCO-...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-to...ltDomainQ5f100

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-1-...ltDomainQ5f100

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/24-to...ltDomainQ5f100

This one at amazon.co looks really good for $189:

http://www.amazon.com/Safeguard-Prem...645749&sr=8-16
Old 01-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I believe that they were on sale when we bought ours. We live not too far from the one in San Martin, CA so we just went and bought it. I think it was just after we got back from the TM rally in October. We bought the Tyvek cover with the white top, the roof material is much heavier than the Aqua Shed. We figured if we were going the spend the money that we'd buy one that would last longer. I just checked their website, and although they are on sale, they are more expensive than the one I bought.

I just checked pplmotorhomes.com who also carries fairly reasonable parts and they are more expensive than Camping World. If you are near a Camping World they may have an example of the construction of the Aqua Shed covers vs. the Tyvek's.

I really like our cover because it keeps the TM clean, and it also helps prevent corrosion in the outside light bulb connections.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
Larry Gault

Thanks Wayne & B& D, I'm gonna order one from Camping World while they are on sale and get the free shiping. I like the Tyvek better too and if I have warr problems at least I can take it to the store 50 miles away.