TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-18-2019, 03:24 PM   #1
FlyboyTR

Default How They Hang'n?

So...how should my shells be hanging? Let me explain. I'm rushing to get ready for a 5 week trip, leaving in 9 days. Lots of work to do with a camper I have never slept in and had zero knowledge about it. BUT...I've been soaking up knowledge with many hours of research.

Today I was checking to see how much I could add to the top of my mattress, pads, etc before binding. So I opened and closed the rear shell 7 or 8 times. Actually...you can learn a lot by doing that. What I have noticed is that once the center latches are released the center raises about a foot but the rear does not. Yes, I can lift it to open so I can live with it but...if it is hanging static (balancing on the magic of the torsion bards) should it be fairly level front to back?

I almost feel like I need to increase the lift tension on the rear torsion bars to give the rear of the shell a bit more lift.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 04-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

No, I don't think it is supposed to open level. There is a lot of upward force at the center latches, because the torsion bars are preloaded to get you started. The center latches are built to handle the force, but if the ends were preloaded by the same amount - meaning the same force - the little corner latches would pull out.

It sounds like yours is adjusted correctly. There used to be a video on the TM website showing this, but it seems to be gone.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:28 PM   #3
FlyboyTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
No, I don't think it is supposed to open level. There is a lot of upward force at the center latches, because the torsion bars are preloaded to get you started. The center latches are built to handle the force, but if the ends were preloaded by the same amount - meaning the same force - the little corner latches would pull out.

It sounds like yours is adjusted correctly. There used to be a video on the TM website showing this, but it seems to be gone.

Bill
Bill,
Thanks. When you put the little flip latches into perspective that does offer a different view. Thanks again!
Old 04-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

On or second TM. Both have done what you described where the center rises about 12 inches. Other side of the shell almost have no rise.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:08 AM   #5
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

If you adjust the bars, you must do it with the shells open. Too much tension on the bolts when closed.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:33 AM   #6
FlyboyTR

Thanks for the feedback. Since I am testing thicker bedding I may need that little bit of extra down force to help squish things down. If I am still clear after the bedding changes, I may consider minor changes.

After Bill's insightful comment, if the rear is rising after the center is unlocked that would be a problem. Possibly adjusting just enough to lessen the physical lifting force may be something to try. Thanks again!
Old 04-19-2019, 05:54 AM   #7
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Also keep in mind there is never any down force from the torsion bars. The easier it is to open, the harder it is to close.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:04 AM   #8
FlyboyTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Also keep in mind there is never any down force from the torsion bars. The easier it is to open, the harder it is to close.
Well...nothing is free. Pay now or pay later. Since closing is potentially more difficult than opening. I may just leave it as it is. Thanks!

Great group....glad to be here.

Sad news...just found out last evening that my friend that was going on the 4 week trip with me can not make it. My wife is working and saving her vacation time for our fall trip to the northeast...so it looks like I'm leaving in 8 days for a solo trip! I pray the TM will be kind to me!
Old 04-19-2019, 07:42 AM   #9
Jampcourt

We too have extra bedding......an RV supersac and foam topper. To avoid putting additional strain on the rear latches, we just fold them up and put them up front on our couch when travelling. We could force close them, but others have damaged their latches, and we don't want to have to repair them if not necessary. Takes a couple of minutes extra, and worth it for an easier closing.

Good luck on your first outing, and enjoy your new toy.
2014 Ford Explorer with tow package, Tekonsha brake controller, Reese WDH, Renogy 100 W portable solar suitcase, modified for 7 pin plug. (Our battery is up front, under sofa). Modified to fill hot water heater and fresh water tank with unit closed.
Jampcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:01 AM   #10
FlyboyTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jampcourt View Post
We too have extra bedding......an RV supersac and foam topper. To avoid putting additional strain on the rear latches, we just fold them up and put them up front on our couch when travelling. We could force close them, but others have damaged their latches, and we don't want to have to repair them if not necessary. Takes a couple of minutes extra, and worth it for an easier closing.

Good luck on your first outing, and enjoy your new toy.
Thanks for the input and kind words of support! I will know today what I can get away with for our bedding.