TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
T and C
TrailManor Master

Default Replaced stovetop

On a recent campout the DW found a small square of stainless steel on the floor of the TM. It was about 1/2 inch square. She asked me where it came from. I had no idea but I told her that we would be finding out soon enough when something fell out or fell off.

Unfortunately, I was correct. When we arrived home and opened up the TM to get our clothes and such out, the stove top was sticking out over the front of the oven about 6 inches. What I am calling the stovetop is the stainless steel stamping with holes in it for the burners to fit through. The grate sits on it as well with 4 grommets which the corners of the grate stand on.

When I tried to replace it I took a look at the way the thing is attached. There is a tab on each front corner that fits under a little metal protrusion that sticks out from the front of the stove. I'll call them "holders". Then there are two spring loaded tensioners at the rear of the stove that fit in two little holes. Their purpose is to maintain forward tension on the stove top which keeps the little tabs on the front corners tight under the little holders. Makes sense.

The problem was that one of the little tabs had vibrated off. (My TM is an '08) The rear tensioners then pushed the stove top forward as the TM bounced down the highway.

I called Matt at Custom RV and described the problem. He was not familiar with that situation. Custom RV does not handle parts for the Atwood stoves. But, another RV store in a nearby town does, so I went there. They had seen this problem before.

The price of a replacement was steep. A black porcelean stove top cost $80. A stainless one is $120. I ordered one. The first one they sent did not have the slots at the rear to attach the folding stove cover. I had to send it back and wait another 10 days or so for the correct one to arrive. It fit and that's that. (I hope).

One other thing. One of our burners had quit lighting when you turn the knob. When I took the old stove top off I discovered that the little wire that carries the current to the burner had rubbed against a fitting and was shorted out. A little tape fixed it.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote