TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-17-2006, 09:13 AM   #1
pfabulus

Question Changing a tire on a TM

I'm investigating moving from our folddown (2003.5 Fleetwood Niagara) to a Trailmanor (looking at the 3023 model).

I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer for. How does one go about changing a tire on a TM. The pictures of the unit makes it look like it could be a very tight fit.

In the first 6 months of owning our folddown, we had to change 2 tires, drivers side, along a busy interstate. It was a very difficult chore.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
thank you!
Laura Pfab
Old 05-17-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

The trailer has to be opened up to allow for access to the tires. On ours, which is a 97, you unscrew the "skirts" on the outside of the wheelwells. Of course, you have to jack up the TM (placing the jack under the frame). The newer ones have scissor jacks that would probably assist with this procedure, but we had to use a bottle jack.

We had the pleasure of doing this alongside a busy freeway at a spot on the road where the tire that had to be changed was way below the road grade. It was not fun. We now have roadside RV assistance insurance (and 3 new tires).
Old 05-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
PopBeavers

I once changed a tire on my car alongside the freeway. Never again. I have ERS. If they conclude it is dangerous then they can tow it to a safe location first and then change the tire.

Make sure you have the screw driver with the square head so that you can remove the skirt.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:58 PM   #4
live2shopnc

On my 04 2720sd with the lift kit and heavy axle/w15 in. wheels , I can change without opening. I use the s.jacks to lift it, I also have a bottle jack and boards just in case.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If your TM has a lift kit, then you can remove/replace the wheel without opening the TM. Also, it is not strictly necessary to remove the "fender skirt", but it may make the rest of the process easier. The skirt is held on with two screws, and those screws have square-drive heads. You should carry a matching square-drive screwdriver, and carry it in an accessible place.

If your TM does not have a lift kit, then you have to release the shells and raise them a bit (you don't have to raise them all the way). You also have to remove the fender skirt.

I hate cranking the stabilizers by hand. So I raise the TM using a 4-ton bottle jack (also carried in an accessible spot), and then lower the stabilizers with my cordless drill.

If you use a jack, note that it MUST be placed under the MAIN fore-and-aft frame rails, NOT under the side wing rails that run left-right near the wheels.

I have Good Sam ERS, and in a situation that requires towing, I guess it would be worthwhile. But I have found them to be incredibly disorganized, confused, and very slow to respond. So I have always changed my own tires. It just doesn't make sense to sit there for 4 hours waiting for a truck, when I can do the job myself and be on my way in 15 minutes.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote