TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Joshua Tree National Park, California

My wife and I just got back from a trip to Death Valley and Joshua Tree National Park. Death Valley has been discussed on this board, and it is a fascinating place. But I don't think Joshua Tree has come up.

Joshua Tree is a big park, just north of I-10 in southeastern California. Camping within the park is all dry, but water and dump stations are available at the park entrances. We love the vegetation there, especially the Joshua Trees, of course. (That spiky thing in the center of the first pic is a Joshua Tree.) We also love the rock formations. As you can see in the second pic, you can actually camp amidst fields of huge rounded boulders, which is quite an experience. Or set up near Skull Rock (4th pic) - ooh, ghost stories around the campfire for the kids! If you are a bit too claustrophobic for this, there are several more conventional big open campgrounds, still very pretty.

There are plenty of hiking trails of all lengths and all skill levels, and getting outside is a blast. This is desert country, so you'll want plenty of drinking water when you leave your TM. And the night sky in the desert is amazing. I've attached a couple pics to show the idea.

Camping is first-come first-serve. This time of year the weekends tend to fill up, but the place was only 1/4 full during the week. Some of the campgrounds have such narrow twisty roads that nothing over 25' total length can get in. Others are spread out enough for the behemoth big rigs. But most are just right for a TM.

In this part of the desert, gas stations are far apart. Be sure to maintain at least half a tank.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Joshua Tree camper small web.JPG
Views:	490
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	968   Click image for larger version

Name:	JoshuaTree 2 small web.JPG
Views:	488
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	969   Click image for larger version

Name:	JoshuaTree best small web.JPG
Views:	473
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	971   Click image for larger version

Name:	JoshuaTree and skull small web.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	973  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

Man, Those are some nice pics. I'm jealous!!!! Joshua Tree has been high on the places I want to see for years. Maybe I'll make it yet! So many places, so little time.
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote