TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
brulaz

Default Elkmont Roof Repairs done at Trailmanor

Ed at Trailmanor persuaded me to haul my Elkmont 24 down to a dealer to have my roof fixed under warranty. Once I got it to Ohio a couple of weeks ago, they decided to transport it and fix it at the factory, and we just picked it up yesterday on our way to Florida.

As my leaks occurred in the vicinity of the door, where there was a depression in the roof, they first took off the Awning and the plastic strips. Then they put down some sheet Al (or plastic? I haven't had a chance to get a close look) that goes from one side of the trailer to the other. This covers the panel seam that crosses the trailer there, and extends forward almost 2 feet. It's a big panel and appears to be well sealed to the roof. The original depression in the roof is covered by it and appears to be gone.

Ed tells me the caulk/sealant they now use is 3M's new 760 (I think), one of the new "hybrid" polyurethane sealants. It is totally different from the original silicone and the silicone I used to try to repair the leaks and seems much more secure. They also used a lot more of the stuff.

We'll see. They leak-tested the roof thoroughly, but only time and much driving and shaking will tell. I'm optimistic though. The roof "looks" really good.

The factory also replaced some interior trim that was going bad because of the water, gave me a new axle, wheel and tires ('cause of some odd tire wear I was getting), and washed all the bugs off. With the new style alloy wheels and clean exterior, we hardly recognized it!

We were obviously very happy with all they did, and Ed, in particular, was a pleasure to deal with.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Ed at Trailmanor persuaded me to haul my Elkmont 24 down to a dealer to have my roof fixed under warranty. Once I got it to Ohio a couple of weeks ago, they decided to transport it and fix it at the factory, and we just picked it up yesterday on our way to Florida.

As my leaks occurred in the vicinity of the door, where there was a depression in the roof, they first took off the Awning and the plastic strips. Then they put down some sheet Al (or plastic? I haven't had a chance to get a close look) that goes from one side of the trailer to the other. This covers the panel seam that crosses the trailer there, and extends forward almost 2 feet. It's a big panel and appears to be well sealed to the roof. The original depression in the roof is covered by it and appears to be gone.

Ed tells me the caulk/sealant they now use is 3M's new 760 (I think), one of the new "hybrid" polyurethane sealants. It is totally different from the original silicone and the silicone I used to try to repair the leaks and seems much more secure. They also used a lot more of the stuff.

We'll see. They leak-tested the roof thoroughly, but only time and much driving and shaking will tell. I'm optimistic though. The roof "looks" really good.

The factory also replaced some interior trim that was going bad because of the water, gave me a new axle, wheel and tires ('cause of some odd tire wear I was getting), and washed all the bugs off. With the new style alloy wheels and clean exterior, we hardly recognized it!

We were obviously very happy with all they did, and Ed, in particular, was a pleasure to deal with.
Sure am glad to hear that TM is trying to get on top of this water leaking issue.

The axle issue is a little disturbing. Is it a 5K# axle?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
The axle issue is a little disturbing. Is it a 5K# axle?
How do you tell? The Dexter # on it's shipping label is 1327650

The tries are the same size. The new wheels have 6 lugs.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
How do you tell? The Dexter # on it's shipping label is 1327650

The tries are the same size. The new wheels have 6 lugs.
I'm pretty sure (by looking at their website) that 6-lugs is the 5200# axle (don't hold me to that). It has 12" brakes which is a huge improvement. I would love to know for sure.
http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/...0-6000_lbs.pdf

If they switched you from a 5 lug to a 6-lug, I hope that they gave you a new spare too.......
Old 11-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Hmm ... I have 6 lugs on my 2010 2720SL but i was fairly certain it's not a 5k axle -- now i'm wondering?

Tim
Old 11-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Ok, just checked my Dexter Axle Book.

Axle Capacity Lugs Brake Size
-----------------------------------
5.2k 6 12"
4.4k 6 10"
3.5k 4or5or6 10"

Tim
Old 11-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb&Tim View Post
Hmm ... I have 6 lugs on my 2010 2720SL but i was fairly certain it's not a 5k axle -- now i'm wondering?

Tim
TM has used the 3500# axle since well before 2000. Before 2010 they used 14" wheels/tires that had a 5 bolt pattern. The 2010 models all up sized to 15" wheels/tires with 6 bolts. The axle rating is still 3,500# but placarded at 3,640#. They did this calculation by adding the weight of the wheels, hubs and tires to 3,500# (70# per wheel/tire/hub x 2 + 3,500 = 3,640#) since the axle does not carry these rolling items (it is carried by them).

So far, I do not believe TM is using a 5K axle.

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Thanks Jerry.you are correct, i just checked and the GAWR is 3640 for my 2720SL.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb&Tim View Post
Thanks Jerry.you are correct, i just checked and the GAWR is 3640 for my 2720SL.
You might want to give Dexter a call.......I don't have a lot of confidence in TMs ratings.

From what I see on the Dexter website, the 3500# axles still have 5 lugs. The 4400# and 5200# axle has 6 lugs. There may be a variety of reasons that TM may not want to publish a higher axle rating and TM owners should respect that.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
brulaz

The drums are 10", and Ed said that the spare will work so it must be new too.